Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old April 17, 2019, 08:19   #11
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
One more thing: while indeed bow is the best launcher type for various reasons, especially early on just use whatever does the most damage. You have good bolts, so by all means use the xbow (and you can sell 1 bolt to identify the rune).

You seem to be trying to stay downstairs for long periods; this is not ideal when archery is your main source of damage. Theres nothing wrong with recalling frequently to restock on ammo.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2019, 09:53   #12
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
You seem to be trying to stay downstairs for long periods; this is not ideal when archery is your main source of damage. Theres nothing wrong with recalling frequently to restock on ammo.
OP's problem, at this point, is gold. He has 3 gold pieces in the last dump. ?recall are expensive, as is the rest of the kit (potions, ?pd, etc.). It's a problem that will solve itself briefly, as the drops increase after about DL10, but for the moment that's an issue that prevents recalling too often.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2019, 09:50   #13
wizard44
Apprentice

wizard44 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input folks. So Duntir's journey was cut short and forced to recall at D:21 because of hunger of all things, since I foolishly dropped my scrolls of satisfy hunger along the way to make room for inventory space.

Complete N00b's Journey: Part 5-3

So I dropped book 2 at Estie's recommendation, as well as 5 scrolls of Satisfy Hunger. I then start off this dive by Recalling back to D:11, where I find out that my unknown bolts are bolts of Venom when shootin down a Hill orc. After casting detect monster, I find I am next to Grisknath, the Hill Orc and his retinue, and retreat to another area to rest up, where I kill a metallic blue centipede and find a wand that did not identify when zapped, and a scroll that was Aggravate Monsters. I find the stairs and descend to D:12, where I detect an out-of-depth earth spirit with Detect Monsters, and kill a brigand to get to level 11 and acquire 3 more Scrolls of Phase Door. Another brigand, however, steals my scroll of Magic Mapping and disappears. An Easterling warrior brings my hp down to the red zone, forcing me to quaff 2 potions of Cure Light Wounds to recover before I can kill it with bolts. I find a wand of Light and kill another Easterling warrior and two kobold shamans, and get a Rod of Curing and a scroll that was one of Monster Confusion upon read-id. After killing a giant green frog, I run into a tiger and Phase door away from it and make my way to a vault, where I get a lantern, allowing me to ditch my torches for good. I find an Incantations and Illusions book that is useful for later, and take out a group of cave orcs and a moaning spirit, the latter of which drains a point of dexterity from me. I then proceed to kill a giant brown bat and a creeping silver coins to get to level 12 and my dexterity restored. I then descend to D:13, where I kill a two jackals before I was forced to Phase Door away from the crowd. I then kill a disenchanter mold and a giant spider, the latter who forces me to quaff my last potion of Cure Light Wounds to survive the poison. I then kill a giant gold dragon fly and kill the rest of the jackals and a brown yeek to get a metal cap [3, +0], a Ring of the Dog, and even more standard bolts. I then run into an ochre jelly, who damages my robe and some of my Bolts of Venom, and Phase Door away to the downstairs, which I take. Upon arriving to D:14, I find that the level has a treasure rating of 5, prompting a full-explore. I then proceed to kill a priest, a grey icky thing, an Easterling warrior, a green mold and enter a room that contains an Everburning Lantern and a wand of Stinking Cloud, both of which I take. I kill a white dragon fly, a blue worm mass, 2 kobold archers, a white jelly, a brown yeek, and a dark elven priest at the expense of quite a few scrolls of Phase Door. I then kill a large kobold and quaff-id a potion of infravision, and a kill a brown yeek and get a Staff of Confuse Monsters, a scroll that was a scroll of Treasure Detection, when read-id'd, and a Staff of Cure Light Wounds, the latter two which I take. I then kill an orc shaman and find the Gauntlets 'Paurhach' [3, +14], and kill a tengu and get a wand, which was that of a Haste monster when applied to a dark elven warrior. After killing the dark elven warrior from a Paurhach activation, I wipe out a group of snagas and black orcs with my wand of light and get to level 13 and a Rod of Light. I then kill an illusionist, priest, and brigand with a wand of stinking cloud and 2 potions of Cure Serious Wounds. I find some more needed scrolls of Phase Door, Soft Leather Armour [8, +6], and 3 Mushrooms of Second Sight, one of which I eat-id. I then take out a giant grey rat, Mugash the kobold lord, and his retinue to get to level 14 and acquire an additional scroll of Word of Recall and a Morning Star (+3, +5) and kill a pack of wolves before running into Lugduf, the Snaga, who went down to Bolts of Venom and drops metal scale mail, which was far too heavy for my character to wear, unfortunately. I also take out 2 groups of snagas and cave orcs and a red naga and a lost soul and a harpy to clear the level. I then descend to D:15, where I kill a crow and get a ring of protection. I then run into an illusionist, who gives me a scare by paralyzing me but teleports before the illusionist can do damage to me. I then kill the illusionist, a brigand, and a dark elven priest to get to level 15 and acquire 2 needed Scrolls of Phase Door (I used quite a bit on the Mugash fight), a staff of teleportation, and a mushroom of stoneskin that I eat-id. I then find out that the treasure rating for the level is 4, which prompts me to fully explore the level. A spotted jelly and a brigand dies, the latter who drops 2 more Scrolls of Phase Door. I then kill another brigand, an illusionist, and a stegocentipede and get another Scroll of Phase Door and open a chest containing an Iron Cap of Wisdom [7, +1] and kill a griffon and a pack of clear hounds at the expense of my staff of cure light wounds. I then kill a pack of white wolves and a grey icky thing and a priest, while using a few Scrolls of Phase door and my last Potion of Cure Serious Wounds. I kill a baby green dragon, an air spirit, and an Easterling warrior and find and use-id a Staff of Curing and a scroll of Trap Creation. I then kill a red jelly, a giant black dragon fly, a green naga, a zombified orc, a giant clear centipede, and a metallic blue centipede to get to level 16. After killing a cave bear, I clear the level and go to D:16, where I clear another pack of wolves and find a garnet ring before descending to D:17. In that level, I find another potion of Speed and Scroll of Teleportation after dispatching a Moaning Spirit. I also find a staff of Magic Mapping and a Wand of Wonder through use-id, the former of which I keep, and the other of which I drop after killing a floating eye with it. I then kill a zombified kobold, a cave lizard, a clear hound, and a druid before I learn that the level has a rating of 5, prompting me to do a full search of the level. I kill a bandit to get a ring of Digging, and get ambushed by 3 tigers that force me to use scrolls of Phase door to evade them. I then take out Brodda, the Easterling with Paurhach activations and Bolts of Venom, and kill a pack of light hounds, white wolves, and wolves in melee. I then take out a healer, 2 gallants, and a scout and use-id a wand of slow monster, which I drop. I then kill a black harpy, a hippogriff, and 2 cave bears and find another unknown ring and the Phial of Galadriel. I then dispatch a group of Uruks and a large grey snake to get to level 17. I then kill some more clear hounds and read-id a scroll of Enchant Weapon To-Hit, which I apply to my crossbow. I then kill a baby black dragon and a group of wargs to get to level 18. I then get 4 Potions of Cure Light Wounds and kill an earth spirit, a brigand, an Easterling warrior, and Smeagol, the latter who drops a Mace of Slay Evil (+6, +9). I find and read-id a scroll of Holy Chant and Enchant Weapon To-Dam, the latter of which I apply to my light Crossbow. I also find 3 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds and kill a quasit and a dark Hound to get studded Leather Armor [12, +6] and descend after killing 3 manes. Upon descending to D:18, I take out a stegocentipede, a raven, a crebain, a tiger, and Wormtongue, Agent of Saruman. I find a pair of leather sandals [1, +5] and finally get a Short Bow (x2) (+5, +6) while killing crebains and nighthawks. I then kill a brigand, an illusionist, a killer brown beetle, 2 apprentices, and 2 healers, and a pack of wolves to find 20 Bolts of Slay Animal (+1, +3), which acted as regular bolts since I ran out of them quite a while ago.

I then descend to D:19, where I find 20 regular bolts and kill 4 soldiers to use-id a Staff of Sleep Monsters that I drop and kill a night lizard. I then kill a potion mimic, a griffon, a dark elven priest, a giant clear centipede, and a baby multi-hued dragon and read-id a scroll of Door Destruction. I then kill a group of forest trolls to get to level 19 and use-id a wand of lightning bolts. After that, I descend to D:20, where I kill a baby gold dragon and several black orcs before I am forced to Phase Door away from the crowd and recover. I then kill several more black orcs and 3 ogres and find a ring of Ice [+9], which replaced my Ring of Protection, and use-id a wand of scare monster. I also find a small metal shield [5, +0] and kill a red jelly and a griffon. I also read-id a scroll of Enchant Armor, which I direct towards the Helm of Wisdom. I then find out that this level has a treasure rating of 5, prompting me to do a full explore of the level. I then kill 13 lemures, a disenchanter mold, a druid, an imp and find a Wand of Magic Missile that I use on a nighthawk before dropping it. I quaff-id a potion of Intellect, which drains my constitution to improve my intelligence. I use-id a staff of light, which I drop, and use-id a rod of illumination, which I drop as well. I then go on to kill a hippogriff, a water spirit, a bloodshot eye, a pack of energy hounds, a giant brown bat, a hairy mold and find 2 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds. I then kill a metallic red centipede and find the Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [7, +10] <+2 INT, +2 WIS, +2 searching skill>, which was an excellent find. I then drop my ring of see invisible and find that one of my rings that I’ve been carrying was a ring of open wounds, which I drop as well. After killing a rot jelly, I find that another one of my unknown rings had a teleportation curse, which I also drop as well. After killing a baby white dragon and a brown yeek, I find myself getting hungry, and quickly descend to D:21 after clearing the level. I find a ring of damage (0, +8) and get weak from hunger, so I recall and quaff my curing potions to stave off my hunger until I make it back to town. Once back at town, I read one of my scrolls of satisfy hunger, give my unknown wand in exchange for identifying it as a wand of door destruction, deposit my other two unknown rings, crossbow and special bolts in my home while ditching the one regular bolt that I have, get my standard arrows that I've been stashing, buy 15 additional Scrolls of Phase Door, an additional Scroll of Word of Recall, a Potion of Healing, 2 Potions of Speed, and 2 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds, the latter three from the Black Market (as the temple only had potions of Cure Light Wounds in stock). I then deposit my potion of Healing and 4 Potions of Speed to keep the weight low. I then buy a Potion of Restore Life Levels and 2 Scrolls of Recharging from the magic shop and store them for a later run. I then make a second run to the stores and buy an amulet of infravision from the black market, a spare staff of teleportation since it had more charges than my current one, and 10 potions of Cure Light Wounds. I then ditch my rod of curing, buy and consume a ration of Food and a Pint of Fine wind for kicks, and end the part.

I think the next goal is to try to get to D:32, though I am not hopeful that this character will make it that far before another Recall is mandatory.

Once again, I do not have a source of free action. Does that mean a dive to D:32 is out of the question? If so, which levels are the most likely to grant me free action items?

Duntir’s status has been updated, and any help for this character is welcome.

Last edited by wizard44; April 18, 2019 at 11:13.
wizard44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2019, 11:08   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Without FA you will die before DL 30 unless you have the (short) list of early paralyzers memorized.

c carrion crawler
e spectator (will confuse you too)
H gorgimaera
u Homunculus
R basilisk
z ghast ghoul

DL 35-40:
g silent watcher
K iridescent beetle
n Medusa
. trapper. This one is hopeless to avoid if you happen to stumble into it.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2019, 11:14   #15
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Without FA you will die before DL 30 unless you have the (short) list of early paralyzers memorized.

c carrion crawler
e spectator (will confuse you too)
H gorgimaera
u Homunculus
R basilisk
z ghast ghoul

DL 35-40:
g silent watcher
K iridescent beetle
n Medusa
. trapper. This one is hopeless to avoid if you happen to stumble into it.
+ ogre mages? (They do in other variants)
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2019, 14:46   #16
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
Also the monsters who cast paralyze are dangerous for @. Especially since he is a ranger so can shot down monsters from a distance but if he is in LoS he is vulnerable to spells.
So avoid illusionists (as already experienced), druids, mind flayers, demonologists, necromancers (and possibly some other casters).
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2019, 16:06   #17
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
You are doing fine, not much to add.

For the near future:

With a ranger in general and a weak one in particular, it becomes increasingly tedious to clear levels. So once you have FA, you might want to descend faster and adopt the diving playstyle. If you happen to find any mouse rings, hold onto them; depending on circumstances, good mouse rings can have gamechanging impact.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2019, 16:19   #18
Pete Mack
Prophet

The paralyzing spell (Ogre Mage, Shaman etc) is not nearly as dangerous as melee, and is usually survivable. Melee paralysis is only rarely survivable, and never if it is by a carrion crawler or ghast (having multiple hits or extra speed)
Old April 19, 2019, 00:57   #19
wizard44
Apprentice

wizard44 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the short list Pete Mack. And for the others for their input. Duntir actually managed to accomplish the goal and reach D:32, but shortly ran out of arrows thereafter and had to Recall back.

Complete N00b’s Journey: Part 5-4

The part began by recalling back to D:21, where I kill a pack of jackals, a baby green dragon, a tengu, and a water vortex, the latter of which destroys my cloak. I also find and use-id a staves of Starlight and Slow Monster and drop them. I then kill a giant red frog, a spotted mushroom patch, and a spotted jelly to get to level 20. I then kill a dark elven mage and get several more potions of Cure Critical Wounds before going down to D:22. I run face to face with Gorbag, the Orc Captain and shoot him several times before being forced to Phase Door away from him. I then kill two clear mushroom patches and kill a water spirit and a brown bat before I run into Gorbag’s orcish retinue. I take out a magic mushroom patch, Gorbag, and his retinue, and get a battle axe (+6, +5) from Gorbag’s death drop that grants +2 constitution. I then find out that the level has a level feeling of 4, prompting a full explore. I kill a qwythulg, a uruk, and 2 dark hounds and find several scrolls of Satisfy Hunger and an amulet of Resist Lightning, which prompts me to ditch my amulet of infravision for it. I then take out a clay golem, a group of jackals, and find an unknown wand. I then kill an yellow mold, a chimera, a group of cave spiders, a werewolf, a killer fire beetle, a water spirit, and a pack of wolves to get to level 21. I then wear-id a ring of slow digestion and drop it, and proceed to kill a group of cave orcs and ogres and find a shield of resistance [5, +12] and several more potions of Cure Serious Wounds. I kill a paladin, a ranger, a cave bear and run into Ugluk the Uruk and Lugduash the Uruk. Though Shoot n’ Scoot using magic missile and phase door spells, I kill the two, who drop a Tulwar of *Slay Giant* granting me +2 strength, and a steel helm of wisdom. I take the former, and leave the latter. I the descend to D:23, where a pack of air hounds takes me to the low hitpoint warning level before I can kill them and get to level 22. I then learn some spells from the Incantations and Illusions book and kill 3 gallants, a scout, a mummified orc, a dark elven priest, a blue dragon bat, a cutpurse before I run into Ulfast, Son of Ulfang and kill him, who drops a set of leather gloves of Free Action, which wholly solved my free action problem. I then kill a spotted jelly and a giant red frog before I pick up an ivory amulet and descend to D:24 and switch to a power diving mode.

There, I kill a scout, a cutpurse, a red jelly and pick up 2 Scrolls of Phase Door. I then take out a soldier, an energy vortex, a group of ogres, and a group of forest trolls before descending to D:25. It is there that I kill a host of ogres of all kinds before a group of gnome mages and their summons force me to teleport away from them to recover. A water vortex damages my cloak and sandals before I can head back to the room to deal with the gnome mages and their summons, which included a wyvern. On the flip side, I get to level 23 and find out that the amulet that I’ve been carrying was one of resist acid, which gets dropped. After learning the identify run spell, I then drop the Tulwar of Slay Giant in favor of keeping my Mace of Slay Evil and head to D:26 to keep in line with the power diving mode. Once there, I kill a skeleton orc, a blue jelly, a forest wight, and several phase spiders before I descend to D:27. It is there that I acquire a Sorcery and Invocations spellbook and kill a troll priest, a pack of wolves, a pack of earth hounds, and a mage at the cost of my potions of Cure Light Wounds and several potions of Cure Serious Wounds. I then kill several illusionists, a ranger, a qwylthug, a brigand, another pack of earth hounds, a grave wight, before I come face to face with Uldor the Accursed. I then teleport away after he summons his kin and kill a group of ogres, who drop a potion that was Restore Mana when I quaff it. I then eat-id Mushrooms of the Clear Mind and Vigor, and kill a group of ogres and an energy vortex, before a pukelman does major damage to my worn armor and forces me to teleport yet again. I get to level 24 and decide to leave behind Uldor the Accursed and the level by going to D:28 since his summons were doing a huge number on me. It’s a real damn shame, since the level treasure rating was a 9. At D:28, I kill a group of wargs, and find a Wand of Teleport Other. I face a pack of cold hounds and kill them, along with a group of hill orcs and Grishnakh, the Hill Orc, who drops a useless Zweihander of Slay Troll. I then head to D:29 and quickly descend to D:30 due to the presence of two dangerous uniques.

D:30 I run into a pack of air hounds, which severely deplete my potions of Cure Serious Wounds. I am also forced to teleport away Angamaite of Umbar and Sangahyando of Umbar to stay alive. I then rush to D:31 and kill a dark elven mage, who drops the Chain Mail of Arvedui (-2) [40, +15] <+2 Strength>, which was a godsend, and get to D:32. At that point, I run into Ibun, Son of Mim, and run out of arrows, prompting me to do a Recall back to the surface. I then identify my unknown runes, ditch my plain dagger, identified ring of feather falling, and identified ring of the god that I was keeping at the home, store my artifact gauntlets, give my unknown wand and my unknown rod to have them both identified as flavors of Disable Traps, buy 5 scrolls of Phase Door, 9 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds, 80 standard arrows, 3 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Dam and 8 scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit (the latter two from the black market). I then use the enchant scrolls to beef up 40 of my arrows to (+4, +1). I then buy Scrolls of Recharging and a Potion of Restore Life Levels and stash them at the home. I then buy 9 Scrolls of teleportation and 2 more Scrolls of Word of Recall and stash them and end the part.

So the next goal is to get to D:38, gain several points of strength by finding stat potions by stairdancing if necessary. I could also do with getting an artifact weapon, since I usually get my hands on one at this point.

What sort of rings of the Mouse should I look for if I do decide to get one?

Duntir's status has been updated, and any input to improve its survival is appreciated.
wizard44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019, 01:14   #20
Pete Mack
Prophet

The biggest immediate hole is your bow. Nothing better has shown up in the stores (Black Market or Weaponsmith)? Don't forget to check at every recall. And yeah, stealth would be nice. Your melee is so bad that you might as well use a Defender weapon, if one turns up. They come up to +4 stealth, and the regen is nice too. Keep an eye out.

Magic book 5 could turn up at any moment. Other than the first big speed item, this is the number one find for improving power of a mage-book caster. Those resistance spells are extremely powerful.

Otherwise, you are doing fine. Just keep avoiding those instakill monsters. They will start showing up now, only a little out-of-depth from DL 40.