Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 26, 2016, 00:25   #41
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Someone on reddit has posted some Angband fonts, and there's discussion - seems like people interested in this thread might have something to say about it.
Old March 28, 2016, 06:04   #42
molybdenum
Apprentice

molybdenum is on a distinguished road
So, I did some experiments. My setup was the OS X port on a Retina display, using 12pt Source Code Pro Regular, with font smoothing (tends to make the font fatter and rounder).

- Striped pattern (fine): Alternating a 0.5pt/1px line with a different-colored line of the same weight kept the character shape intact, but wasn't too useful color wise. I tried different angles, which didn't really help.
- Striped pattern (medium): Alternating a 1pt/2px, the only difference from the above was that the patterning was more visible, but the character shape was harder to discern.
- Two-tone: Top half was one color, bottom half another. Pattern was visible, but almost too much so. Some characters were harder to discern, like T, I, i, l.
- Outlining/stroking: Characters were stroked with a different color at a few different weights. I didn't prefer the look, but it could possibly work in some cases.
- Gradient fill: I found this to work surprisingly well. I only tried a vertical gradient, so things like rods, wands, and staves wouldn't work, but for other characters, they were still legible while showing enough color.

Some of the above could work with meatier fonts, and or larger font sizes, but it'd have to be really tuned regardless. Shimmering is still probably the best option. I could take a look at making the flicker table more dynamic; they're all currently hardcoded and each one must have exactly three colors.
molybdenum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016, 15:28   #43
tilkau
Rookie

tilkau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
The yellows are hard to distinguish on one of my devices only. On the others they are fine fine. I retract my complaint.
Yes, I was specifically aiming to make all colors more distinct. If your display is calibratable (ie has proper brightness/contrast/color temp settings, unlike eg. laptops), then I suggest using the guide at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ to get a basic calibration. I run through that on any new display I have to use, and it seems pretty reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molybdenum View Post
So, I did some experiments. My setup was the OS X port on a Retina display, using 12pt Source Code Pro Regular, with font smoothing (tends to make the font fatter and rounder).

- Striped pattern (fine): Alternating a 0.5pt/1px line with a different-colored line of the same weight kept the character shape intact, but wasn't too useful color wise. I tried different angles, which didn't really help.
- Striped pattern (medium): Alternating a 1pt/2px, the only difference from the above was that the patterning was more visible, but the character shape was harder to discern.
- Two-tone: Top half was one color, bottom half another. Pattern was visible, but almost too much so. Some characters were harder to discern, like T, I, i, l.
These three are used for titles only, in art generally. Presumably because of how they unavoidably detract from readability of character shape.
The smaller the scale of the letters, the worse it is.

Quote:
- Outlining/stroking: Characters were stroked with a different color at a few different weights. I didn't prefer the look, but it could possibly work in some cases.
This does read, but I'm not particularly a fan of how it looks.

Note that there are two different ways to do outlining;

1. stroke the outside
2. outset/dilate the character, draw it in outline color, take the undilated character, draw it over the top.

#1 is easy, but #2 is cleaner (preserves sharp character features that would otherwise be obscured by the width of the outline stroke)

IMO this takes considerable tuning (to achieve an outline size that is effective without being obnoxious)

Quote:
- Gradient fill: I found this to work surprisingly well. I only tried a vertical gradient, so things like rods, wands, and staves wouldn't work, but for other characters, they were still legible while showing enough color.
Not bad if the gradient is mild (not too much difference in brightness). Using a gradient between different hues (blue at bottom -> purple at top) can be a good way of getting a strong effect without obscuring the character shape excessively.

Quote:
Some of the above could work with meatier fonts, and or larger font sizes, but it'd have to be really tuned regardless. Shimmering is still probably the best option. I could take a look at making the flicker table more dynamic; they're all currently hardcoded and each one must have exactly three colors.
+1
tilkau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016, 16:44   #44
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by molybdenum View Post
Hey, thanks for doing these experiments!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016, 06:19   #45
t4nk
Swordsman

t4nk is on a distinguished road
Bump.
So, are there any conclusions about what would be good to do? Because, you know, someone may go ahead and actually do that
Also, if anyone has other ideas about improving the looks of UI, post them!
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote