Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 26, 2016, 18:41   #21
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@estie--your estimate of how many arrows are necessary seems a bit high. True, if you are using lots of unenchanted ordinary ammo, you need lot. But you can generally avoid it by keeping your powder dry*: nearly all dangerous uniques are vulnerable to one or another slay or brand. (And if you don't have the right slay, just avoid the monster.) Assuming a suitable brand and 300 dam/shot, you need roughly 40 hits to kill even Ungoliant (the highest HP unique short of Morgoth). That is one quiver, plus a little mopping up with melee once she is down to 1 star and no longer a threat.
Earlier in the game, monsters tend to have around 1-2000 HP, so again, that's roughly 10-20 shots, assuming 100 dam/shot (no ego ammo, but enchanted.) Morgoth really is the exception: very high AC and HP combine for roughly 100 arrows of Slay Evil/Holy Might. (That's for an x4 bow with high to_dam. For an uber Lothlorien, or Bard, it is less.)

* mixed metaphor intentional
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016, 19:06   #22
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Oh I wasnt implying that current Vanilla requires too many arrows; on the contrary, it feels about right, I concur with you. But, if tedium gets reduced by measures like infinte ammo, designers might be tempted to reduce the damage per arrow to counter that, and that would then likely lead to plink plink archery.

I was just formulating a general rule of thumb for when archery feels right to me.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016, 20:37   #23
Pete Mack
Prophet

The trouble comes in with the third shot and infinite +10 branded ammo. Then you are pretty reliably doing up to 1000+ per turn. The only weapon that compares is the Mod +2 attacks vs Undead. (Which in this game I also had :o ...although only after killing Sauron, so it was a bit too late to hunt down Cantoras and Vecna.)
Old July 26, 2016, 20:45   #24
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Yeah, another possible rebalancing I considered suggesting was to start rangers with +1 shot and not give them a third shot. That way they're pretty good at archery throughout the game (including in the crucial early game where they're currently somewhat garbage), but don't get ridiculously broken in the late game.

I never personally bothered with branding/enchanting ammo because it's boring. I wouldn't remotely object to removal of those spells.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016, 20:54   #25
Pete Mack
Prophet

Branding ammo is easy. I don't see how it can be boring, since it doesn't take any time. I agree enchanting is boring. The only ammo I commonly enchant is if it's an early, underpowered stack of Slay Evil or Acid Brand, which I try to get to +10,+10. It's simply too valuable to waste. Otherwise, I stick with the modest enchantment granted by brand ammo.
Old July 26, 2016, 22:54   #26
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
The plan is for a redoing of classes with a reduction of spells in 4.2; I'm expecting rangers to change a bit there.
Old July 27, 2016, 17:31   #27
kaypy
Swordsman

kaypy is on a distinguished road
Last time I played a ranger, I wound up hacking in a crude pathfind-to-nearest-ammo-on-ground mechanism. Essentially a run mode for cleaning up after the fight.

That made dealing with ammo a fair bit less obnoxious...
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2016, 17:33   #28
Pete Mack
Prophet

@kaypy--that is a great idea! Please do share the code.
Old July 28, 2016, 13:15   #29
kaypy
Swordsman

kaypy is on a distinguished road
Sorry, I'm trying to remember how long ago it was and I think it might have been in the '90s (and the code is long gone)...

Also it was a seriously trashy hack job.

I may have to try resurrecting it and maybe do a bit better a job of it...

IIRC, the basic mechanism was allowing
1) Target an item by type (I think by cval)
and
2) Run towards the target (I started with another hack I had to make a 'melee closest enemy' button analogous to the common mages 'just magic missile whatever' hotkey, these days it would just be a matter of commandeering the mouse based movement)

combined with some macro stuff.
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2016, 01:50   #30
brbrbr
Adept

brbrbr is on a distinguished road
Pete, it's not Ranger that's imbalanced, it's Randarts.

After 7 games of Rogue+randart I am back to Ranger+standarts and the difference is noticeable. Lot of early drops like Westernesse, Bow of Power, Boots of Wormtongue, etc. on dl20. I wouldn't see that on randarts unitl dl 40 or so.

Somebody else on the forum also mentioned that randarts are harder in the earlier game and easier at the end. That's how it feels for me.
brbrbr is offline   Reply With Quote