AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Obsolete > v4

Old June 9, 2013, 15:12   #41
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Along with more generous progression - ie the same number of sp at lower spell stat than before - this should keep half casters viable...
A.
It's always been my feeling that the smaller stat gaps should matter more, rather then what feels to me like hard-cut of lines in stats. It makes stats spread less of an issue for half-casters for one & also leads to more possible choices of stat spread.

As for intelligence & warriors it's hard to make it matter in a way that makes sense without changing to cunning like in Tome (critical chances) or learning like in skill-based RPGs. The 1 place where intelligence most matters on a warrior tends to be handled by the player not by the game mechanics.
Old June 9, 2013, 21:17   #42
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
I think it is a key design decision in V that you can get away with low off stats - ie a Warrior with 4 Int is hardly worse off than one with 17 Int, all else being equal? Would the devs agree?
Old June 9, 2013, 21:46   #43
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I've been in favor of this approach for a while. 4 core stats, str, dex, con, mind. Do we really need more?
I'm with you there.
It would be a definite improvement, IMHO.
Old June 10, 2013, 05:17   #44
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
I think it is a key design decision in V that you can get away with low off stats - ie a Warrior with 4 Int is hardly worse off than one with 17 Int, all else being equal? Would the devs agree?
I'm not sure there was a key part to this design decision. And regardless, whatever the original motivation was, it's been lost through many changes in leadership. So even if it was purposeful when it was designed, it's not clear that it still is.
Old June 22, 2013, 04:30   #45
DaviddesJ
Swordsman

DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo View Post
From a players point of view, it's important to know which action will depend on which stat.
I think it doesn't really seem important. You know from your player screen how good you are at using magical devices. Why is less important. If you want to know how your stats are affecting your abilities, for the purpose of equipping different items that raise different stats, you can always just try the items and see what effect the stat changes have on your abilities. As long as the game is directly displaying your abilities to you, it's not really much of an issue to understand in detail how they are determined. Lots and lots of other game mechanisms are more important to understand.