AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Obsolete > v4

Old April 13, 2013, 17:55   #11
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I'm also of the opinion that AC should be something that's noticeable at first attack on a monster.
Personally, I would get rid of the whole monster memory mini-game, and make everything known by default.

It is a subsystem that adds no value to experienced players, and its only noticeable effect is to unfairly kill newcomers that have no idea that dracolisks breathe nexus, master mystics paralize, or titans are heavy melee hitters.
Old April 14, 2013, 06:45   #12
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Personally, I would get rid of the whole monster memory mini-game, and make everything known by default.
I think in the same way more or less, If character can recognize an object it shall know anything about it.
Old April 30, 2013, 18:21   #13
Narvius
Knight

Narvius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post

It is a subsystem that adds no value to experienced players, and its only noticeable effect is to unfairly kill newcomers that have no idea that dracolisks breathe nexus, master mystics paralize, or titans are heavy melee hitters.
Dunno. I actually enjoyed lugging along a Rod of Probing just to learn more and more about the dungeon's denizens. It's another thing you need to prepared for, simply - the first time I survived for a prolonged time at DLVL99 (and the first time I killed all uniques minus Morgy) I actually had almost no monster info about things deeper than DLVL 40 or so.
Old April 30, 2013, 18:28   #14
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post

I'm definitely interested in moving towards having more information be visible more quickly. e.g. damage, life rating and AC bonuses should be visible after the first attack (or maybe before).
Old April 30, 2013, 18:31   #15
Narvius
Knight

Narvius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
I'm definitely interested in moving towards having more information be visible more quickly. e.g. damage, life rating and AC bonuses should be visible after the first attack (or maybe before).
That, yes. But completely getting rid of that subgame - no.
Old April 30, 2013, 18:37   #16
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
These are currently shown in cyan. They used to be shown in graded colors. It's only because a long time ago I did angband development that I know that 25.6 is a lousy to-hit. Also, the to-hit displayed is not affected by bless/hero/shero.
[this is a bug.]
I want to change the display so it's something like 'guaranteed to hit armour class X'. Except in fewer characters (hopefully!). When AC is exposed in monster memory, this will then be a lot more useful.

Sorry to everyone who likes mystery in the game. I'm ripping it out, exposed number by exposed number.
Old April 30, 2013, 18:49   #17
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
While I agree that the "discover what this monster is capable of" thing is interesting gameplay, at the same time it's very problematic as a source of unavoidable deaths. The first time you find a Drolem, you're unlikely to have either poison resistance or 800 HP. How are you supposed to know that carrion crawlers (and homunculi!) can paralyze you with their melee attacks? Much of Angband is about being prepared for fights and about avoiding fights you can't be prepared for, but it's difficult to do that when every monster is an unknown. I worry that our current system promotes painfully cautious play and/or the assumption that you have to die many times to win, just so you can learn what kills you.

To be clear, I'd be perfectly happy to have Angband's monster memory system (albeit probably with some tweaks about the discoverability of AC, HP, melee damage, etc.) in a game where there weren't many, many monsters capable of one-shotting the player.
Old April 30, 2013, 19:34   #18
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I worry that our current system promotes painfully cautious play and/or the assumption that you have to die many times to win, just so you can learn what kills you.
I have pretty much always felt that way, but I never took that as a negative aspect of the game. That constant fear of the unknown was part of what made getting a little deeper each time so exciting. Sure, it accounted for many what would otherwise have been avoidable deaths, but the next time I encountered I knew what to expect. A death is far easier to remember than something you read in the monster description last play through.

I guess the drawback is that not everyone will be as persistent as the rest and may give up after getting 1 shotted a few too many times. These games can be brutal at times, but I suppose the rogue-like genre isn't for everyone.
Old April 30, 2013, 22:59   #19
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
There's nothing wrong with this "learning by dying" system in itself. IMHO, the real problem is that it is coupled with a game in which it's slow and boring to get back to the point where you just died. Drolem breathes, you die? Oops, try again, but before that you have to replay 30 levels full green worms, [5,+0] small shields, and potions of confusion. That's why people get bored and don't start another game IMHO.

Diving helps overcoming this feeling, but it's a counterintuitive solution; instinctively, people will tend to play slower to avoid dying the next time. They'll take things slow, clear levels and grow fond of their character, of her hardly-earned small shield of resistance and her artifact dagger. And they'll be disappointed once again when she dies, because she will, no matter how slow and careful you are. Then they'll close Angband forever and move a game with the same Tolkien-like feeling, but fancier graphics and 20 save slots.