Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Obsolete > v4

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2013, 01:57   #21
DaviddesJ
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlingame CA
Age: 55
Posts: 254
DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
I take your criticism. If you can think of something better I'd be interested in hearing it. I think the current situation is still better than people just recalling, buying/scumming for potions, and going back to the dungeon but I'm open to other suggestions.
I think the whole idea of Angband has always been that you can get out of pretty much any problem by going back to town. I don't see why people want to change that. If you *have* to go back to town over and over and over again, every five minutes, that sucks after a while. But taking away the option altogether is worse. I never found stat drain annoying enough in any of my previous games that I was visiting town over and over and over again just to deal with it. So what's the problem to be fixed?
DaviddesJ is offline  
Old September 10, 2013, 03:26   #22
Elsairon
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 117
Elsairon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
I think the whole idea of Angband has always been that you can get out of pretty much any problem by going back to town. I don't see why people want to change that. If you *have* to go back to town over and over and over again, every five minutes, that sucks after a while. But taking away the option altogether is worse. I never found stat drain annoying enough in any of my previous games that I was visiting town over and over and over again just to deal with it. So what's the problem to be fixed?
The problem is that some find the way drain currently works annoying enough that they do not enjoy playing as it is. Others don't mind so much.

I recall scumming for restores before, and it was tedious, but I still enjoyed the game mostly by falling back on ranged weapons instead of spell/melee depending on what stat was drained into un-usability. (I'm referring to *band in general not this specific version)
Elsairon is offline  
Old September 10, 2013, 05:19   #23
DaviddesJ
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlingame CA
Age: 55
Posts: 254
DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsairon View Post
The problem is that some find the way drain currently works annoying enough that they do not enjoy playing as it is.
You mean the new version, right? I can certainly see that, it sounds annoying. My question was, what was the problem with just leaving it the way it was. Everyone seemed basically fine with it before.
DaviddesJ is offline  
Old September 10, 2013, 14:53   #24
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,375
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
My question was, what was the problem with just leaving it the way it was. Everyone seemed basically fine with it before.
You're missing the silent majority of people who like the change.

More seriously, anytime the optimal playstyle is to townscum for stat restoration, we have a problem. That problem could potentially have been fixed by making stat-restore potions be guaranteed to be in stock, but the devteam has had a general goal of making the player less reliant on the town for awhile now. Shopping is boring; exploring the dungeon is fun. That's not to say that the town is going away or anything like that, just that the devs would rather that players find what they need rather than buy it.

Of course that breaks down for the old stat restore system. The new one rather elegantly deals with that problem, while also giving new players a non-punishing introduction to the existence of stat drain. The only problem it has, really, is that in the mid- and late-game you can get badly drained and be stuck for awhile, due to the lack of Mushrooms of Vigor / corresponding stat potions.
Derakon is offline  
Old September 10, 2013, 21:45   #25
DaviddesJ
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlingame CA
Age: 55
Posts: 254
DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The only problem it has, really, is that in the mid- and late-game you can get badly drained and be stuck for awhile, due to the lack of Mushrooms of Vigor / corresponding stat potions.
Is that a problem? I thought that was the whole motivation for this new system, to create that threat. Which then gives players a reason to go scum for mushrooms on level 3, which is even more boring than scumming in town. Which is why I don't understand what's good about it.

If the idea is actually supposed to be to just scatter the whole world with so many sources of restore stats that they are abundant whenever you need them, that would be ok with me, but it seems like almost the opposite of the actual change, as I understand it.
DaviddesJ is offline  
Old September 10, 2013, 22:46   #26
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,375
Derakon is on a distinguished road
The current system works fantastically, so long as you have a limited supply of restorables, but never fewer than you actually need. The reason this works well is that the player is encouraged to treat stat drainers with respect (and to highly value items that sustain their stats), but the player also is not punished for failure by having to scum for restoration items.

As soon as they run out of their hoard of restoration items, though, the new stat-drain system breaks down, because then they are stuck and the most optimal play is to scum low levels for mushrooms, as you say.

I want to say again that in my experience I haven't gotten stuck like that yet; there's always been slightly more mushrooms of Vigor than I've actually needed. I'm not trying to downplay other peoples' bad experiences, just provide another datapoint.
Derakon is offline  
Old September 11, 2013, 00:27   #27
DaviddesJ
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlingame CA
Age: 55
Posts: 254
DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The current system works fantastically, so long as you have a limited supply of restorables, but never fewer than you actually need. The reason this works well is that the player is encouraged to treat stat drainers with respect (and to highly value items that sustain their stats), but the player also is not punished for failure by having to scum for restoration items.
I think the old system worked just as well. There were enough potions lying around, for the most part, so, just like you're describing in the new system, the great majority of the time I could just press on and find what I need. If I ever really needed to, sure, I could go back to town and "scum" for restore potions, but it's not really a common problem, about as uncommon as "scumming" for mushrooms in the new system.
DaviddesJ is offline  
Old September 11, 2013, 00:37   #28
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,375
Derakon is on a distinguished road
The difference being that in the old system, many players always returned to town when they got drained, no matter how badly, because it would be playing suboptimally to proceed with less-than-maximum stats. Now they have to balance pressing on with drained stats vs. using up a consumable that isn't readily replaced. This allows stat drain to have an impact on gameplay beyond "give up and return to town".
Derakon is offline  
Old September 11, 2013, 01:10   #29
DaviddesJ
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlingame CA
Age: 55
Posts: 254
DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The difference being that in the old system, many players always returned to town when they got drained, no matter how badly, because it would be playing suboptimally to proceed with less-than-maximum stats.
If the new version of "playing optimally" means hanging out on level 3 until you accumulate a lot of Mushrooms of Vigor, that seems worse, not better. You can tweak the settings so that you never need to go back to look for Mushrooms, but then, you can also tweak the settings in the old model so that you never need to go back to town. In fact, you don't need to tweak it, I hardly ever did have to return to town for that. If people feel like they have to return to town every time their stats go down to 18/94 from 18/96 so that they can get it back, shrug. It's making the game more fun for them, or they wouldn't do it.
DaviddesJ is offline  
Old September 11, 2013, 01:15   #30
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,375
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
It's making the game more fun for them, or they wouldn't do it.
This logic is faulty for the same reason that argument we had about no-selling being optional ("If you don't like selling things, just don't take them back to town") is faulty. People -- lots of people -- will play the game in horribly boring and un-fun ways if they perceive those ways to be the optimal way to play the game. Making certain that the optimal way to play the game is also a fun way to play the game is something like 95% of balancing singleplayer games.
Derakon is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stat drain saarn v4 3 May 29, 2012 15:24
Roguelike object model theorycrafting Derakon Idle chatter 24 April 19, 2012 21:16
Drain experience => temporary level drain Derakon Vanilla 33 June 9, 2010 18:56
Question about experience drain miner Vanilla 19 June 17, 2009 18:38
Rationale for new stat gain model? Pete Mack Vanilla 8 February 10, 2009 22:01


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.