Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Obsolete > v4

Old September 13, 2013, 11:32   #41
eMeM
Apprentice

eMeM is on a distinguished road
I know that will never happen.

On the other hand we can introduce Scrolls of Restore Disenchantment. And in 5-10 years make disenchantment effect disappear from the game because it's annoying.
Old September 13, 2013, 14:55   #42
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMeM View Post
On the other hand we can introduce Scrolls of Restore Disenchantment. And in 5-10 years make disenchantment effect disappear from the game because it's annoying.
You, uh, do remember the brief period in which the game had Scrolls of Repairing which did exactly that? They got removed in the next version because the community went "Wait, no, this is dumb."
Old September 13, 2013, 16:32   #43
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Simple solution - all stat drain is permanent. Advantages:
  • Simplifies code
  • Much needed buff to Time Hounds
  • All the previous arguments just go away

For bonus points, same system for XP drain.

You know it makes sense.
Sounds good to me Nick, you have my vote on that one.
Old September 13, 2013, 19:08   #44
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Simple solution - all stat drain is permanent. Advantages:
  • Simplifies code
  • Much needed buff to Time Hounds
  • All the previous arguments just go away

For bonus points, same system for XP drain.

You know it makes sense.
I like it. But what about low-level characters? Maybe stat potions would have to start appearing from the off to counter it. Maybe the first attack on a stat would be temporary, but if it got drained again in the next few hundred turns then that point of draining would be permanent.
Old September 13, 2013, 19:38   #45
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If you want a serious suggestion for what to do with stat drains, I'll put my suggestion out there again: make drains severe, stacking, and limited in duration. So when you get stung by a Giant Red Scorpion, you don't lose 1 point of STR until it gets restored or you level up; instead you lose 5 points for 20 turns (or whatever). This has the following advantages:

* Drainers are still dangerous. In fact, if anything they're even more dangerous in the immediate sense because they make your character much weaker in the current fight.
* No getting stuck with a "useless" character; if you aren't killed in the immediate fight, then you'll be back to fighting trim in a short time. Thus, no need to scum for restoratives.
* Draining attacks can be given to more monsters / monsters with draining attacks can be made more threatening.
* Mushrooms of Vigor can be removed as they are now "junk".
Old September 13, 2013, 19:38   #46
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
I like it. But what about low-level characters? Maybe stat potions would have to start appearing from the off to counter it. Maybe the first attack on a stat would be temporary, but if it got drained again in the next few hundred turns then that point of draining would be permanent.
Why not just make stat-drain monsters incredibly rare below statgain territory?
Never liked them red animals anyway.
Old September 13, 2013, 19:40   #47
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
But I've always imagined my @ finding them *really* tasty.
Old September 13, 2013, 20:01   #48
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you want a serious suggestion for what to do with stat drains, I'll put my suggestion out there again: make drains severe, stacking, and limited in duration. So when you get stung by a Giant Red Scorpion, you don't lose 1 point of STR until it gets restored or you level up; instead you lose 5 points for 20 turns (or whatever). This has the following advantages:

* Drainers are still dangerous. In fact, if anything they're even more dangerous in the immediate sense because they make your character much weaker in the current fight.
* No getting stuck with a "useless" character; if you aren't killed in the immediate fight, then you'll be back to fighting trim in a short time. Thus, no need to scum for restoratives.
* Draining attacks can be given to more monsters / monsters with draining attacks can be made more threatening.
Yeah, that does make a lot of sense now that you write out the advantages in bullet points.
Old September 13, 2013, 20:20   #49
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I can vouch for this model as being excellent in BG no-reload play with Sword Coast Stratagems (SCS) vampires . Of course in that game, stat drain can actually be fatal in itself (stat < 0 means you die), but many stat drainers would effectively be fatal in Angband without an explicit ability to drain below 3.

The only thing to be wary of is having a "restoration timer" that's too long. In earlier versions of SCS it was 24 hours, which effectively meant that you have to fully rest three times to get rid of it. (And you did so even if it meant the extreme tedium of going to find an inn or some safe wilderness.)
Old September 13, 2013, 20:24   #50
eMeM
Apprentice

eMeM is on a distinguished road
Well that's not a bad idea. I wouldn't like to fight Morgoth without sustained CON with big drains. That would be lethal.. That's good because with permanent stat drains Augmentation would only mean few more turns wasted on restoring and healing but it wouldn't change much.

Other problem with stat draining is it affects melee chars more than those who stay away and shoot from distance.