AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Obsolete > v4

Old November 11, 2013, 15:20   #11
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
I am a huge fan of Tolkien and have similar, conservative sentiments as him, so I probably wouldn't particularly care for the adult versions .
"Mature" here doesn't mean sexual, etc. content. It means that these variants have been in development long enough that they don't contain major technical or balance problems. When trying less mature variants, you risk frustrations from such problems, so it's nice to know a variant is mature. :]
Old November 11, 2013, 21:49   #12
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Ahh, okay, great. I just read a blurb about Oangband. Anything else you could possibly add? Is there as much random death as regular Angband?

Quote:
Oangband is one of many variants of Angband, emphasising intuitive rules, varied gameplay, and extra coolness. This long-established variant (one of the older ones active) offers more individual and distinct classes and specializations, more intelligent and diverse monsters, and more subtle and interesting objects. Depth of play is tremendous, with well-balanced ways to defeat monsters that work from the moment you walk into the dungeon, to that dread day you face Morgoth, wielder of the Udun-Fire.
http://oangband.com/
Old November 11, 2013, 21:55   #13
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I think i played oangband once for 2 hours and died 30 times
Old November 14, 2013, 20:35   #14
KarlM
Rookie

KarlM is on a distinguished road
FAAngband is awesome :-). First Age Angband. Very tolkien-y. Middle earth races, wilderness, multiple towns, multiple dungeons. Combat is neat. Spells are neat. The rare crashes are interestingly coded... :-)
Old November 15, 2013, 14:46   #15
Grotug
Knight

Cool. Maybe I'll try it the next time I die in Angband. I'm back up to the early dl40s and nearly died twice (and force closed the program before the baddies' turns could finish). Someone breathed shards and I went from 430 to 14. with [more] messages on the way so I force quit I don't even remember the other NDE that I quit on, but similar sudden massive loss of HP.

I am wearing a ring of bodykeeping yet some devilish thing drained some of my constitution just now.

I'm having fun playing with no-selling. I just had a fun run in with Gorgon where my HP was in the low HP warnings a few times. Gorgon's Minions sure dumped a lot of loot, tho! Prolly over $25k
Old November 15, 2013, 15:05   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Cool. Maybe I'll try it the next time I die in Angband. I'm back up to the early dl40s and nearly died twice (and force closed the program before the baddies' turns could finish). Someone breathed shards and I went from 430 to 14. with [more] messages on the way so I force quit I don't even remember the other NDE that I quit on, but similar sudden massive loss of HP.
Could have been a crystal drake or whatever the ancient dragon shards monster is; they have a lot of HP and can probably hit the shards damage cap. Angband loves throwing single huge attacks at you to keep you on your toes; learning which monsters you have to avoid and/or be very careful in dealing with is crucial to survival.

Note that breath damage is based on the monster's current HP, not its max, so once you hurt an enemy a bit its breath weapons will be less potent.

Quote:
I am wearing a ring of bodykeeping yet some devilish thing drained some of my constitution just now.
Yeah, time attacks bypass sustains. They suck. Fortunately there's only two enemies in the game that use them with any regularity, and they both have "time" in their name.
Old November 15, 2013, 16:42   #17
Grotug
Knight

cool, thanks for the tips! Yes, it was a time thingmajig that got me. Just 2000xp till my next level, tho. I just had a run in with a lesser balrog. That was... uhh... unhealthy. Again, health in the 20s. And then creatures I had relatively little problems dealing with (inertia hounds) suddenly bring me again into the 20s from upper 300s in one turn, that was unexpected (they had me slow at -10 tho) and this was right after near death with the lesser balrog. I do have a rod of healing which I am going to start bringing with me now as I will run out of healing potions soon at this rate! Unfortunately it takes 1000 turns to recharge. Also will bring my rod of teleport other along now, too.

I'm suffering major hp hits and my equipment is offering resistances for the following:
acid
fire
cold
lightning
nexus
sound
shards (I didn't when the crystal drake or whoever it was got me)

No resistance to poison except with a ring that I wear as the default now. Just put my ring of damage into holding, since it's too risky not to have a ring of resistance on.

I'm not wearing my speed boots since the Radagast ones I am wearing provide protection from paralysis.
Old November 15, 2013, 17:03   #18
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
cool, thanks for the tips! Yes, it was a time thingmajig that got me. Just 2000xp till my next level, tho. I just had a run in with a lesser balrog. That was... uhh... unhealthy. Again, health in the 20s. And then creatures I had relatively little problems dealing with (inertia hounds) suddenly bring me again into the 20s from upper 300s in one turn, that was unexpected (they had me slow at -10 tho) and this was right after near death with the lesser balrog. I do have a rod of healing which I am going to start bringing with me now as I will run out of healing potions soon at this rate! Unfortunately it takes 1000 turns to recharge. Also will bring my rod of teleport other along now, too.
Well, rods of healing and TO are better than no sources of healing and TO. But what are your fail rates on them? I find they're useless as escapes, but do have a use by not using up potions/charges on better items when you're in non-critical situations. FWIW.

Quote:
I'm suffering major hp hits and my equipment is offering resistances for the following:
acid
fire
cold
lightning
nexus
sound
shards (I didn't when the crystal drake or whoever it was got me)

No resistance to poison except with a ring that I wear as the default now. Just put my ring of damage into holding, since it's too risky not to have a ring of resistance on.

I'm not wearing my speed boots since the Radagast ones I am wearing provide protection from paralysis.
FrAct is THE most important resisitance, granted, but after that speed is king. Is there no way to get both? Even a ring of FrAct to go with your RoPoison?

(That's what I'd do but, then again, I'm not a very good player compared to many )
Old November 15, 2013, 17:39   #19
Grotug
Knight

I could wear the FrAct ring and boots, but then I'd have to do away with the ResPois ring or BodyKeeping. Body keeping seems pretty essential at this point. At one point my strength was drained to 5. Now its 18/186 Things to mull over for sure. I do have a rod of speed that I use regularly and still carry potions of speed and even a staff of speed when I pick it up in the dungeon. Basically, the temptation to take off the ring of FrAct and put something else on is too great and too many times I have nearly died or died because of paralysis.

edit: Also, speed makes me very careless. But that just shows how powerful it is!
Old November 15, 2013, 17:43   #20
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Nice to see that drolems still do thier job right.