Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Obsolete > v4

Old November 15, 2013, 17:59   #21
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Lose the Bodykeeping; learn which monsters drain stats and avoid meleeing them instead. Either use the monster spoilers, or carry a Rod of Probing, to learn what monster melee attacks do.

Probably the most dangerous drainer in your depth is Dreads (whose melee drains STR). Best to detect and avoid them, or to have enough speed and offense that you can kill them one at a time as they approach, rather than getting swarmed.
Old November 15, 2013, 20:19   #22
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Found full plate armor with nice bonus (86 armor total) that prevents paralysis, but means switching out my lovely Arvedui special that prevents shards and nexus. Hmmmmmmmmm decisions decisions. The plate armor would boost my constitution by +1 as well. I suppose I could carry both armors and swap when needed. Might be a hassle tho. Any thoughts?

edit: I'm wondering if at this point I should lose my rods of firebolts and frost bolts given my arrows do similar amount of damage. That would free up two slots for more needed items in my backpack.

I dunno if I can play that meticulously. I often run into things that I think I've seen before and are weak, when they use a very similar color (or even same color--I'm playing with ascii graphics) and end up being very nefarious. Maybe I should move to a graphical tile set

Last edited by Grotug; November 15, 2013 at 20:27.
Old November 15, 2013, 20:23   #23
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
FA is much more important that rShards and rNexus. (Of course it doesn't stack so if you have it from other equipment, then use Arvedui.)

Of course you should keep Arvedui (in the home or inventory) since you'll probably find gloves or other equipment with FA.
Old November 15, 2013, 21:02   #24
Derakon
Prophet

Shards and nexus simply don't show up that often; they are absolutely not vital resists. Hell, nothing is a vital elemental resist except for fire/cold/electricity/acid/poison. If you have some gear that will significantly help your ability to deal with "average monsters", but it means losing one or more high resists, then you should make that sacrifice.

The only resist I'd consider carrying as a swap is rDisenchant, but only if I'm playing a melee character, or if I'm seriously considering trying to kill the Tarrasque. But that latter never happens these days. Some monsters just aren't worth fighting. And I freely admit that carrying that swap is an irrational decision -- in practice, the losses due to disenchantment are not going to be very significant.
Old November 15, 2013, 21:41   #25
Grotug
Knight

I just want to clarify:

I have FA boots (of Radagast) and speed [+10] boots.
I have rNexus rShards armor (of Arvedui) and FA armor with [+1] Constitution

I have been wearing the FA boots and Arvedui armor. My thinking is that I will now wear the speed boots and the FA armor and shelve the Arvedui rNexus rShards armor and the FA boots. The Radagast FA boots are nice because they have +5 Infravision, +3 stealth and +1 wisdom and feather falling. I can't recall off hand, but I don't think the speed boots have any bonuses. The boots were courtesy of Beorn. Anyway, thanks for da feedback.

EDIT: gauntlets of free action just came into the black market! Now I really have a lot of options. Would mean swapping out my Castus of +6 to-dam. hmmm. A ring of flames also in the black market--not sure if it'd be better than my current ring of resist heat tho.

edit: so I guess my choice now is do I want to trade +6 damage for nexus and shards resistance? I guess I do :-/

edit: do most people play ascii graphics or tiles?

@Derakon: keeping away from Dreads would be a serious pain in the butt. I really think I need to keep bodykeeping, since they go through walls and will just follow me wherever I go, taking a direct line to me as well. On DL46 now and have picked up 3 potions of *healing* O_O Those will go into storage for latah. I just slew about 15 Dreads and my character feels anxious about this place.

edit: boots of speed +rod of speed +heavy xbow of power [+19 to-dam] + bolts of slay evil = dragon slayer extraordinaire Ancient dragons wilt before my very presence

Last edited by Grotug; November 15, 2013 at 23:12.
Old November 16, 2013, 00:03   #26
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
I would wear +speed regardless of anything all time and carry something with FA at least as a swap. Resists are not important. Well, poison resist is fun, and basic ones are mandatory later but in general they are available anyway (or carry defender weapon as swap, it also works for FA).
Old November 16, 2013, 01:07   #27
Grotug
Knight

Just ran into the drolem again. And again didn't realize who it was until several turns. I teleported him away as soon as I realized. But with my ring of res poison and 566 hp, could he have killed me in one turn? I dunno how much the ring reduces his max poison hit, but if I recall right 800 is his max if I have no resistance. Little green g just doesn't get my attention.

In other news, there is a potion of life in the store for $15k. 5000hp and all stats and exp restored. Hard to believe I'll ever have 5000hp.
Old November 16, 2013, 01:12   #28
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
I would wear +speed regardless of anything all time and carry something with FA at least as a swap. Resists are not important. Well, poison resist is fun, and basic ones are mandatory later but in general they are available anyway (or carry defender weapon as swap, it also works for FA).
Walking around without FA is asking to be surprise-paralyzed and killed. FA is not a swapppable ability.

Grotug: poison resistance cuts the damage you take to 1/3rd, so you should have been safe from the drolem. And no, you will never have 5000 HP. The most durable characters top out around 1300 HP, if I recall correctly.
Old November 16, 2013, 01:23   #29
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Walking around without FA is asking to be surprise-paralyzed and killed. FA is not a swapppable ability.
Strongly depends on play style. I consider any surprise deadly and thus all abilities equally swappable, except speed and ESP since they actually lower probability of surprise. If you roam at dlvl 98 with 170 hp paralyze is not worst that can happen.
Old November 16, 2013, 03:10   #30
Grotug
Knight

weeeeee! I dropped my two rods of recall instead of the two rods of light. Only noticed after I left the level. Fun times on dl50 with no way out!

Found arrows of seeking but left them behind since I'm wielding a crossbow of extra shots. Then found a short bow of superness (something about Faenor's sons: +2 constitution and strength!) and regeneration, and 4x power instead of 2x with a +2 of power to boot. No worries about being stuck in the dungeon, have had the light of Erendil for awhile and 15 scrolls of satisfy hunger.

Well, this bow, despite its 4x rating and 15 to-dam isn't as powerful as my crossbow, but the extra strength and constitution sure are nice! In fact, my strength is so high now that it reads as 18/***

Last edited by Grotug; November 16, 2013 at 05:05.