Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Obsolete > v4

Old November 16, 2013, 21:58   #41
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I think another neat challenge would be to die with the lowest HP you can. (I.e. maximize the value of (0 - curHP) upon death
Old November 16, 2013, 22:11   #42
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I think another neat challenge would be to die with the lowest HP you can. (I.e. maximize the value of (0 - curHP) upon death
I once managed about -720hp from an unresisted Drolem breath (I was blind and fighting using ESP). You could of course get -1599 from an unresisted base element.
Old November 16, 2013, 22:13   #43
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I once managed about -720hp from an unresisted Drolem breath (I was blind and fighting using ESP). You could of course get -1599 from an unresisted base element.
Why not -1600hp?
Old November 16, 2013, 22:14   #44
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Why not -1600hp?
Quite right, you could get -1600 if you were at 0hp the turn before.
Old November 16, 2013, 22:17   #45
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sounds fun, but how are you going to avoid missle attacks? Seems like you'd have to play in a somewhat boring and repetitive fashion.
The point is not to use cheesy stuff, but simply avoid everything with missile attack. Bosses are trouble, they dont fit in the scheme, so either get hit by them, or be cheesy. I thought about this as a more or less pacifist playstyle with rarely monster kills.
Old November 17, 2013, 14:11   #46
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
my current setup: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=15166

Thanks guys for all the help! I really like my setup right now. I picked up a sweet elven bow of extra shots and rDisenchant and +1 speed but I like my current short bow's +2 strength constitution and regeneration so not using the elven bow. I recently acquired gauntlets that provide immunity to fire. Very cool. (They also aggravate monsters, tho).

Last edited by Grotug; November 17, 2013 at 17:18.
Old November 17, 2013, 20:51   #47
Grotug
Knight

I just want to clarify: rings, armor and amulets of resistance when combined will produce no extra benefits? So wearing a ring of rPoison is the same as wearing a ring of rPoison and an amulet of rPoison and a shield of rPoison, correct?
Old November 17, 2013, 21:12   #48
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Yes -- you can stack one source of equipment-based resistance with one source of magical resistance (e.g. a potion or a spell). Stacking 2+ equipment-based resists or 2+ magical resists has no cumulative effect, IIRC. (I know that's true for sure about equipment, I'm not 100% sure on the magical side.)
Old November 17, 2013, 21:19   #49
Grotug
Knight

I have an amulet of rPoison and gloves of rPoison, so those two pieces of equipment are stacking for extra protection?

EDIT: btw, it just took me 3 charges (as in three tries) to teleport a master mystic away. Good thing I have 3 rods of teleport other! Currently doing battle with Saruman of Many Colors, but he's summoned a few nasty friends so this might take some cunning. Just picked up a mattock with more damage than my previous weapon, so I phased outta the hallway when Saruman summoned friends and then tunneled to them again through the rock from another hallway below

Last edited by Grotug; November 17, 2013 at 22:27.
Old November 17, 2013, 22:25   #50
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
I have an amulet of rPoison and gloves of rPoison, so those two pieces of equipment are stacking for extra protection?
No, they are not. What stacks is permanent resistance and temporary resistance. So a kobold (who has innate poison resistance) can drink a Potion of Resist Poison and take only 1/9th damage from poison attacks as long as the potion's effects hold out. But they would get zero benefit from wearing any gear that gives permanent poison resistance, because they already have it innately.