Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old March 17, 2021, 19:22   #11
archolewa
Swordsman

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Honestly, I really haven't found any variants that I enjoy as much as vanilla. I love the huge number of races and classes in Frogcomposband, but the power creep feels excessive to me, and there are too many monsters I find tedious. I love Sils lore, but I dont like how open ended character building is. Ive tried FirstAgeAngband, but I dont like its wilderness, and playing without wilderness feels so close to vanilla, it doesn't really scratch that "like Angband but not Angband" itch.

Basically every variant Ive tried has something I love, and some things I really don't.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2021, 21:19   #12
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
Honestly, I really haven't found any variants that I enjoy as much as vanilla. I love the huge number of races and classes in Frogcomposband, but the power creep feels excessive to me, and there are too many monsters I find tedious. I love Sils lore, but I dont like how open ended character building is. Ive tried FirstAgeAngband, but I dont like its wilderness, and playing without wilderness feels so close to vanilla, it doesn't really scratch that "like Angband but not Angband" itch.
Have you tried Steamband? It feels very different to Vanilla. The user interface is more primitive, but I find it a lot of fun.
Old March 18, 2021, 01:15   #13
archolewa
Swordsman

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Have you tried Steamband? It feels very different to Vanilla. The user interface is more primitive, but I find it a lot of fun.
I havent. Last I knew it was almost but not quite 100% complete, and hasnt been developed in a long time. I will have to check it out.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2021, 01:32   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
It is absolutely crazy. It is also a bit unbalanced, in the way of ToME2: Mecha(?) Dashing Hussar absolutely destroys everything short of a battalion of Nazi Tanks and Steam Drills. Really. Kill final boss Fu Manshu in 3 turns taking zero damage in return. But those terrifying Nazi tanks... Just run away and "dive" up the last 10 levels.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2021, 01:42   #15
budswell
Adept

budswell is on a distinguished road
My favourite variant doesn't exist.

I play Pos/Comp/Frog all the time. It has the best variety of races and classes.
But working through the same series of dungeons gets dull.
I loved the random overworld, towns, quests, dungeons, and camps of Zang/Z+. So my ideal variant would be Frog engine in the Z+ world.
budswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2021, 02:04   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

Since I am mostly playing on my phone, I am generally limited to FCP, V, and NPP 0.41. I really do like the latter, except it has bad old ID, and less good UI than V.
Edit: I mean wow. Angband UI has improved a ton since V 3.0.5.

Last edited by Pete Mack; March 18, 2021 at 02:15.
Old March 20, 2021, 15:36   #17
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
I still just love Vanilla, but today it occurred to me that there ought to be a Wagnerian variant called Wangband. THAT would get my husband to play!
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2021, 17:21   #18
Pete Mack
Prophet

So I am playing NPP 0.41 (Android), for a change of pace. Wow, do ID and the UI suck. (Like: to look at an item in your pack or equipment, use 'I'. To look at the content, use 'i' or 'e'. Also, the only way to determine (say) Narthanc's property is *ID*, even the ones immediately obvious through use.
On the other hand.... the dungeon is a lot scarier.

There are tons more dangerous sources of confusion--bronze and golden dragons both hit to confuse, and bronze dragons breathe it. RConf (not pConf) is a necessity, not optional as in modern V.

Lesser healing potions are much weaker.

Early-game shopkeepers are much stingier, since CHA is present. You need to be much more selective in purchases.

There is a lot more junk, but concomitantly a lot less useful stuff. You need to search far and wide for good jewelry, especially. I remembered this enough to make sure to buy the ring of damage in the BM, because it'd otherwise be a long time to find something near as good.

On the plus side, Rogue class is back! With original HP, better stats, CLW spell useful for resting up fast. NPP rogue in particular is lethal with a sling. And other classes get detect objects from magic devices. But boy do they need them: just to avoid all the rubbish, as well as because the dungeon is just too dangerous to explore easily.

Last edited by Pete Mack; March 20, 2021 at 17:27.
Old March 24, 2021, 07:32   #19
Archenoth
Rookie

Archenoth is on a distinguished road
I have kind of a soft spot for Poschengband.

There are variants that were forked from it, but I find that it has made some of the most interesting design decisions since then, like how it was designed with Recall items not being a central concept, but instead had that replaced with special teleport rooms that let you travel between the town and the dungeon every few floors. (Kinda like Etrian Odyssey in a way!)

Also, while it took a bit for me to get used to the lack of an overworld map, the way that was designed around was also pretty compelling in a kinda-FAAngband sort of way; the world feels very large and dangerous, and the autowalk does a pretty decent job letting you travel without knowing exactly where you'll eventually need to go. I think that gives it a pretty unique feel.

I also dig the new world. The new starting town feels very cozy, and it looks really quite pretty compared to the other band towns I'm used to.

I just really appreciate it, and how bold it's gotten as of late!
Archenoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2021, 11:36   #20
swim
Apprentice

swim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archenoth View Post
I have kind of a soft spot for Poschengband.

There are variants that were forked from it, but I find that it has made some of the most interesting design decisions since then, like how it was designed with Recall items not being a central concept, but instead had that replaced with special teleport rooms that let you travel between the town and the dungeon every few floors. (Kinda like Etrian Odyssey in a way!)

Also, while it took a bit for me to get used to the lack of an overworld map, the way that was designed around was also pretty compelling in a kinda-FAAngband sort of way; the world feels very large and dangerous, and the autowalk does a pretty decent job letting you travel without knowing exactly where you'll eventually need to go. I think that gives it a pretty unique feel.

I also dig the new world. The new starting town feels very cozy, and it looks really quite pretty compared to the other band towns I'm used to.

I just really appreciate it, and how bold it's gotten as of late!
That recall concept does sound appealing. It does seem a bit cheat-y to just be able to stock up as many Scrolls of Recall as I want whenever I want.
Are there any other variants that have a similar feature?
swim is offline   Reply With Quote