Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 2, 2021, 01:18   #1
just_zis_guy
Rookie

just_zis_guy is on a distinguished road
+4 Damage Reduction

Hello! Playing randarts I came across the Long Sword 'Andir' (2d5) (+9,+16) <+4>. The +4 is Damage Reduction. I never saw this feature before. Am I right that this reduces the damage done to you from an enemy attack? Is +4 a good reduction?

PS
I'm a new forum member - howdy! I've been playing Angband and stalking the forums for many years. I thought I should come out of my hole and ask a question or something.
just_zis_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2021, 02:01   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_zis_guy View Post
Hello! Playing randarts I came across the Long Sword 'Andir' (2d5) (+9,+16) <+4>. The +4 is Damage Reduction. I never saw this feature before. Am I right that this reduces the damage done to you from an enemy attack? Is +4 a good reduction?
Yes, it's a flat 4HP reduction from every individual monster attack. So it's really good if you're surrounded by monsters that don't do a lot of damage (you'll be immune to giant fleas, for example), but almost useless against monsters that are doing 100s of HP in spell damage.

Quote:
PS
I'm a new forum member - howdy! I've been playing Angband and stalking the forums for many years. I thought I should come out of my hole and ask a question or something.
Welcome
Old September 3, 2021, 16:37   #3
sffp
Adept

sffp is on a distinguished road
Quote:

PS

Keep in mind it's 4 points of damage per attack

So an 8-headed which makes 8 2d6 attacks that average 7 points of damage apiece will have its damage reduced by 4 pts (averaging 3 points of damage.)

The reality is melee will be ridiculously easy against lower creatures, but the effect against say Greater Titans wouldn't be too noticable.
sffp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2021, 09:17   #4
kineahora
Scout

kineahora is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Yes, it's a flat 4HP reduction from every individual monster attack. So it's really good if you're surrounded by monsters that don't do a lot of damage (you'll be immune to giant fleas, for example), but almost useless against monsters that are doing 100s of HP in spell damage.

Welcome
Thanks Nick I was unfamiliar with this flag as well. Basically I play standarts and I wondered if it would make Belegennon a better armor than armors with far bigger AC like Adamantite plate--and I found the answer to be "No way"--basically its an early-game flag of very limited efficacy.

Maybe buff artifacts like belegennon to +20 instead of +5?
kineahora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2021, 06:16   #5
Ugramoth
Apprentice

Ugramoth is on a distinguished road
Pair of Leather Sandals 'Ossaerint' [1, +21] <+5>;
Dropped by Golfimbul, the Hill Orc Chief at 600 feet

+5 damage reduction
Provides protection from blindness

This is really good this early in the game. With regenerating HT, many things do total 0 damage over few turns.

I know bug farming is bad but could not resist room full of fruit flies with these on...
Ugramoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2021, 18:04   #6
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Those sandals even provide Hummerhorn protection--they can only do 2d2 damage.
Edit: i noticed Giant fireflies do less damage despite being deeper. And they dont have intrinsic light, contra their description.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote