Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 12, 2015, 15:33   #51
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Some other things that add nothing to gameplay:

1) Doors - you open them and walk through them. Boring. I can do that in my own home.
2) Corridors - put the rooms close together so we don't have to walk so far. If I wanted to walk, I would go outside. Boring.
3) Gold - We should be able to kill the shopkeepers and take their inventory as we see fit. Get rid of it.
4) Stats - just have one, called "power". The helpfiles are way too long as is.
5) Races - eventually they all play the same. Who cares? Plus, it promotes prejudice.
6) Hit points - You can always heal as needed with a couple button presses. Call of Duty doesn't have hit points, and look how popular that is. Angband needs to adapt or die.
7) Leveling up - There should be only 2 character levels. Anything more is just needless repetition. Yawn.
Downloads:
https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2015, 15:36   #52
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
I can assure you, no matter how hard it is for you to believe, angband is quite easy by the standards of roguelikes and it's because the game does not have enough tactical depth. It's too easy to control what happens. That's just a fact.
So why doesn't everybody just win all the time? Do you win every game you play? If not, what kills you?
Old September 12, 2015, 15:49   #53
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nppangband View Post
Some other things that add nothing to gameplay:

1) Doors - you open them and walk through them. Boring. I can do that in my own home.
2) Corridors - put the rooms close together so we don't have to walk so far. If I wanted to walk, I would go outside. Boring.
3) Gold - We should be able to kill the shopkeepers and take their inventory as we see fit. Get rid of it.
4) Stats - just have one, called "power". The helpfiles are way too long as is.
5) Races - eventually they all play the same. Who cares? Plus, it promotes prejudice.
6) Hit points - You can always heal as needed with a couple button presses. Call of Duty doesn't have hit points, and look how popular that is. Angband needs to adapt or die.
7) Leveling up - There should be only 2 character levels. Anything more is just needless repetition. Yawn.
I realize this is tongue-in-cheek, but I think it's a gross mischaracterization, i.e. a straw man.

Generally speaking, I don't think anyone said flavourful things shouldn't remain in game. Things that basically add nothing of value (including flavour) could just as easily go.

Moreover, most of the things you mention actually do have a purpose. Let's just take race and stats: These determine pretty strongly how good your survivability will be at the start of the game, and thus how likely you are to survive to the mid and end game. They also determine how easy a time you'll have getting all the needed resistances and protections from gear. (E.g. High-Elf gets SeeInvis and thus doesn't need it from gear.)

Can we please avoid this kind of caricature? It doesn't help discussion one bit and promotes an us-vs-them mentality. (Although I did get a chuckle out it!)

I can assure you that all I want is a better Angband, I'm not out to destroy Angband. (Whatever "better" means!)

EDIT: Stats: Except CHA which was in fact removed because it had no noticable effect on the game.

Last edited by AnonymousHero; September 12, 2015 at 16:30.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2015, 15:52   #54
AnonymousHero
Veteran

@mushroom patch: I think the whole summoning/teleport discussion is probably off-topic?

(Not that we don't have a proud tradition of almost certainly always veering off-topic in these forums, but I think that particular discussion is probably important enough to not bury in this thread?)
Old September 12, 2015, 16:05   #55
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
I can assure you that all I want is a better Angband, I'm not out to destroy Angband. (Whatever "better" means!)
I can assure you that I am not lumping your opinions in with anyone else's.

Quote:
Generally speaking, I don't think anyone said flavourful things shouldn't remain in game.
Not in this thread, directly. In a broader context, that's the general gist of mushroom patch's posts, whether he realises it or not.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2015, 16:43   #56
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
If you people were really serious about a better angband, we would have had rocket launchers in vanilla like a billion years ago.
Old September 12, 2015, 18:21   #57
AnonymousHero
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
If you people were really serious about a better angband, we would have had rocket launchers in vanilla like a billion years ago.
+1000. I'll be submitting a pull request shortly. (Or not.)
Old September 12, 2015, 21:35   #58
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
I don't get it. Am I to infer from your sarcasm that you believe no one can transcend the depths of angband?
That's not what I got out of what he was saying. What I inferred is that you have implied that anyone who plays the game and runs out of food or light is incompetent.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015, 01:15   #59
Whelk
Adept

Whelk is on a distinguished road
Sorry if I stirred up the pot by mentioning my fears. I'm glad to see, though, that people seem to be aware of the dangers and slippery slopes of calling for parts of the game to be removed or made less important due to being "boring" or "uninteresting".

A previous poster touched on what I perceive the issue is that has ruined DCSS for me: The constant refrain of "this part of the game isn't interesting and doesn't affect gameplay significantly" when what they should be saying is "this part of the game isn't interesting to me anymore and doesn't affect my current method of gameplay significantly because I've learned the most effective/efficient way to handle it due to previous experience.

I don't think game features, mechanics, or flavors should be adjusted/removed just because they get "boring" to people who figure out how to best handle them with minimal effort. It's a minor hassle and inconvenience to you because you've played the game and learned how to tackle that particular thing. For people just starting or still learning, it can well be an "interesting" challenge that they still need to learn how to overcome or best manage.
Whelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015, 03:40   #60
Tarrasque
Scout

Tarrasque is on a distinguished road
Food and fuel management is definitely not an interesting challenge by themselves outside of ironman.

They have a little influence on inventory management in general though. If you find an endless source of light you get either a bit less weight to carry and an extra inventory slot, or more time in the dungeon. I'd like it if fuel and food were more relevant deeper down and had more of an effect on strategy/tactics/the game. *waves hands around in a vague manner
Tarrasque is offline   Reply With Quote