AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 11, 2021, 07:40   #11
Selkie
Swordsman

Selkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSpeedBryce View Post

I've actually been thinking about starting a new character; how does a Dunadan Necromancer sound? Any advice for that character?
Sounds hard to me. You're playing in the dark so it's good to have some intrinsic infravision. I like high elves, you get light, dark, and nether resisted, you have high INT and decent other stats (except wisdom, but who cares about that), and see invisible is very useful.
Selkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 08:42   #12
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSpeedBryce View Post

I've actually been thinking about starting a new character; how does a Dunadan Necromancer sound? Any advice for that character?
Grats for the 1st one.
Early Necromancer will be in lot of trouble with anything evil. That is all kobolds and orcs, for example. Nether bolt just doesn't cut, even though it does some damage through resistance. Try to get a launcher and kite monsters using bat form. You may even buy stackloads of flask of oil and throw them at monsters.

Necromancer is the hardest start by a big margin, imo.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 14:42   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Necro is considered by many to be the most difficult class. (Druid is also in the running.) You might want to try the equivalent half-caster first, tho Blackguard has its own difficulty.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 14:43   #14
DavidMedley
Veteran

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I'll sometimes force quit when I press the wrong button by accident and die. Do we all do that?
I've never force-quit or save scummed. A few times I've turned on the recover from death option, planning to play to the end but I always lose motivation on those characters.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 15:22   #15
SonicSpeedBryce
Rookie

SonicSpeedBryce is on a distinguished road
You know, now I'm almost tempted to run Necromancer just for the promise of high difficulty alone.

Almost.

That being said, it would be nice to have melee as a fallback for nether resistant enemies. I guess I'll try Blackgaurd first then.
SonicSpeedBryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 15:33   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Blackguard is very heavily spell dependent. Early in the game, you can't get more than 1.3 blows for quite a while, though you can get 2 with spells.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 15:39   #17
SonicSpeedBryce
Rookie

Well, I'll just have to stay clear of evil in the early game till I find a good artifact/strength and dexterity potions. Aside from that, it shouldn't be TOO different from the Mage I won with. Though, I imagine statements like that are liable to send characters to an early grave.
Old May 11, 2021, 16:19   #18
archolewa
Swordsman

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Blackguards dont have the same evil enemy problem Necromancers do. Despite being the half-caster, Im not sure Blackguards and Necromancers have any shared spells at all. What you want as a Blackguard is a nice, heavy weapon. And a willimgness to murder damn near everything you see in the early game.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 16:29   #19
sffp
Adept

sffp is on a distinguished road
I've been going back and forth between Kobold Necromancer and Half-Orc Blackguard for a year now. I'm trying to get a win in each class/race. They are tough to play.
Both come Nec and BG come with a significant handicap - Necs need to avoid light so that beautiful +3 strengh artifact lantern you find, leave it on the floor, it's dross.

BGs don't restore their spell points by resting - they actually lose them. It is constant battle all the way down (or at least, as far down as I've gotten one. )
sffp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 16:44   #20
SonicSpeedBryce
Rookie

Oh. It appears that the Necromancer and Blackguard classes are much more complicated than I first thought.

Maybe I should try a different class for now. Maybe a Ranger?