Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old September 3, 2021, 18:15   #21
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Some notes after "(Oath: Silence)" entry get the "Silence" suffix, e.g. "(Indomitable: Silence) and (Keen Senses: Silence) but (Disguise) don't.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2021, 11:09   #22
Quirk
Swordsman

Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbee View Post
Some notes after "(Oath: Silence)" entry get the "Silence" suffix, e.g. "(Indomitable: Silence) and (Keen Senses: Silence) but (Disguise) don't.
Thanks. Tracked this down quite quickly; it's caused by choosing other abilities after you choose Oath in the ability menu. Will be fixed for release.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2021, 15:26   #23
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Is Thraalbee's bug only cosmetic or one that actually affects gameplay?

Check this from Thraalbeast

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=24621

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; September 4, 2021 at 15:44.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2021, 18:59   #24
Quirk
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
Is Thraalbee's bug only cosmetic or one that actually affects gameplay?

Check this from Thraalbeast

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=24621
Cosmetic only. The only gameplay affecting bug I know this version so far is the (fixed, pending release) Oath of Iron issues.
Old September 5, 2021, 02:18   #25
Svalbardcaretaker
Rookie

Svalbardcaretaker is on a distinguished road
Feedback on new features:

- New 2xhealing glove ego is great. I like to wear it in the early/midgame and have smithed it.

- Appreciate the new Grace enchantments (eg. on helm).

- Oath of Silence - I already took that when it only gave STR+1, I will continue to take it with STR+2

- Oath of iron - minor tests only so far due to bug. Reaaally strong early on Edain, no lategame experience yet. Will report back once the bugfix is released.
Svalbardcaretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2021, 23:47   #26
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

Does Fear prevent one from singing or using staves? I haven't checked for it thoroughly, but they really should.

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other
Old September 12, 2021, 03:35   #27
bron
Knight

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
I've been away from sil-q for quite awhile, but recently thought I'd look in on it again. Unfortunately for Quirk, Smithing has always been one of my favorite aspects of the game, and I am disappointed by the way Smithing has been increasingly gutted in sil-q, and 1.5 continues this trend. You can't reasonably build up a set a smithing gear - no forge gloves, no forge hammers, song of Aule is long gone. Simple buffs like Lesser Jewel of Grace, gone. Spear of the Vanyar loaded down with extra buffs to make its cost unreasonable. And so on. Plus, a lot of things I'd like to smith are gone (Bow of Nargothrond, armor of Resilience). I like the removal of Artistry, but the inability to increase the evasion bonus on a weapon (short of making an artifact) is a serious minus. Bitch, bitch, bitch.

Anyway, I'm not a fan. I'll probably stick with Sil 1.3
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2021, 09:16   #28
Quirk
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
I am disappointed by the way Smithing has been increasingly gutted in sil-q, and 1.5 continues this trend.
Opinions are going to differ on this of course, and I would suggest the Smithing middle game has been made a good deal smoother. You are quite right that I have toned down the Smithing stat-boost end game, though you are the first I think I have heard complain about no longer having to spend a lot of inventory space on smithing boosters. These changes will be to some tastes and not others clearly. I have high respect for your skills and think you probably found it easier to survive the difficult section of the old Smithing runs than many.

However, just to gently push back on a couple of your assertions, Resilience is still in the game on mithril armour and Defender weapons still exist.

I would also like to ask, if you don't mind, what it is that you enjoy about Smithing so I can see if it's possible to mold it closer to something you would enjoy without compromising balance. The old Smithing was from a game design perspective somewhat problematic; players would sacrifice a great deal of convenience and endure a punishing mid-game to get to an end-game where every worn item was a ludicrously high-end artifact, making it very hard to balance the game around both smiths and non-smiths. I have made some of the flashier items such as branded weapons cheaper already, and I am open to approaches that make having one really really nice item possible, but it rather depends what part of Smithing is fun for you.

Last edited by Quirk; September 12, 2021 at 09:30.
Old September 12, 2021, 17:28   #29
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

I noticed no game turns are lost when going in 'right direction' into walls while confused . In FrogComposband, "game energy" is consumed when this circumstance happens regardless if the direction is correct or not. I feel that game turns should be consumed when players go in correct direction into wall while confused. iirc, confused player going 'in wrong direction' into wall already consumed game turn.

Rfe?: Chasms should cause more player injury the more weight you carry. Controversial idea, possibly.

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; September 12, 2021 at 23:16.
Old September 17, 2021, 16:28   #30
Quirk
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk View Post
The replaced Oath was not to attack fleeing monsters, which turned out to be a bit of a hassle as this was very easy to do. Alert monsters only is by no means a bad idea, might be a bit easier to avoid and also fits Mercy as a concept.
Brief play-testing suggests that this is not very much of a restriction at all on most non-stealthy characters, which makes it into an almost-free Grace point. I'm not sure Grace builds need the help, but I'm open to being persuaded on this.