Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 15, 2009, 01:33   #11
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
To each his own. There's nothing wrong with fully exploring any level, or every level. Do what makes you happy. IMO this whole diving thing, while widely practiced, is over rated.
Old August 15, 2009, 02:07   #12
LCC
Adept

Donated: $20
LCC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
To each his own. There's nothing wrong with fully exploring any level, or every level. Do what makes you happy. IMO this whole diving thing, while widely practiced, is over rated.
I agree with buzzkill. To me it makes no sense to dive so fast that your character gets killed. Slow steady progress with a survival strategy will win the game even for newbies. Trying to dive like the bored experts just gets you killed...
Old August 15, 2009, 04:15   #13
grapejoose
Rookie

grapejoose is on a distinguished road
I both agree and disagree. I agree with your statement at face value. Yes, you do die a lot, while you're learning. But no, it' s not a bad idea. I've learned a lot more about Angband in the last couple weeks by diving with mages than I ever did in the years I played it off and on trying warriors and going slow and killing everything. I've seen more of the game than I ever did, and that's done nothing but make me a better player.

After all this diving fun recently I tried a warrior again. Had my best attempt in Angband ever thus far with him and it's because I knew what I was doing this time. I've learned what not to do, what to avoid, etc.

Died on dlvl 65 to an elder vampire when I ran out of escapes by not paying attention. Stupid *Destruction* staff got drained in my inventory by Balrog while I wasn't paying attention and my tele staff and scrolls got burnt. I should have recalled when the teles gone but I just wanted a liiiiiittle more stuff. lol

-joose
grapejoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2009, 04:36   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The only thing on dl 1 that's worth spit is !speed. Which is great, but if you really need it you can go back and scum dl 1 once you can afford to detect objects. The #1 goal in the game is stat gain--any turns spent wandering around before that are in some sense wasted.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2009, 05:12   #15
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
That's mostly because the game has gotten so much easier with 3.1. In older versions, slow and steady was often a deliberate march towards an unlucky death. You may be right now, I don't know.

However, take a look at my favorite rgra post ever. http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...ly+yawp+worked
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2009, 05:52   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I don't think 3.1 is that much easier, only because stat potions are so rare.

Nevertheless, a lot of work needs to be done on item balance before 4.0(?) comes out.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote