Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 26, 2011, 01:23   #1
Wraitheist
Adept

Wraitheist is on a distinguished road
Question about diving

I came back to Angband after having not played for about a year. I'm a diver...I like to just dive, regardless of resistances, etc., and it usually works pretty well for me. However, I've been trying to get a ranger going and I seem to keep dying a few levels down due to (seemingly) unavoidable circumstances. A panther I can't outrun, a ranger that kills me before I can retreat to the stairs, etc.

My question is, do you all like to have certain items before starting your dive? Do you roam the first few levels to save up money for a "kit"? I think my ranger would have survived had I had a longbow as opposed to a shortbow. Think I should get a longbow before starting the dive?
Wraitheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2011, 03:52   #2
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraitheist View Post
My question is, do you all like to have certain items before starting your dive? Do you roam the first few levels to save up money for a "kit"? I think my ranger would have survived had I had a longbow as opposed to a shortbow. Think I should get a longbow before starting the dive?
Are you playing 3.2? The powers that be have made longbows unaffordable. However, oil has been boosted ridiculously. Throwing oil is equivalent to shooting from a +4 longbow. The first purchase any 3.2 player should make is to buy all of the oil for sale at the general store.

Then you should check out the black market, and buy a ?telSelf, ?telLevel, or ?deepDescent if you can.

Beyond that, ?phase can save you sometimes, if you can manage to get across a wall. That's pretty iffy.

How often do you want to survive your first trip? That's just a personal preference. You can scum for money if you feel you die too often. Otherwise, you should return to town when you can afford to buy a staff of teleportation, a few ?recall, and a few sundries, again including all oil for sale. Your ranger should not buy a longbow even after the first trip. It is too expensive.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2011, 06:56   #3
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Your ranger should *never* buy a longbow. Since enchant weapon scrolls are no longer available in the store, you will be using oil for quite a long time. (If a decently enchanted longbow does show up in the store, it might be worth buying.)

And don't stop diving: just about any longbow you find on the floor at dl 30 will be good enough.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2011, 07:47   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Phase and shortbow shots should eventually do for the panther. Just carry more ?Phase. I usually try to have 10 for my second trip and 15 thereafter. Enemies with ranged attacks are pretty nasty though, and if you get dumped into a room with a bunch of novice paladins there's not a whole lot you can do. My best advice there is to just know what's around you and not go near dangerous situations. If you do get dumped through circumstances beyond your control (e.g. disconnected stairs, undetected trap door) then yeah, there's decent odds you'll die early on. Fortunately your investment in your character up to that point should be pretty small, especially since you are diving.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2011, 08:36   #5
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Being very bad at diving, I can say what the big problem is. Something wakes up. Mostly due to attacking it. The panther is there just as an annoyance. Use your phase spell. I can't say much, because I gave up on rangers and started yet another mage. Phase is awesome, and so is teleport.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2011, 15:50   #6
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Archery has been weakened a bit, hasn't it??? but still, if you've got a bow and 2d4 arrows, and presumably a ranger does, then phase door (x2) is the solution to the panther. Everyone knows that .

Edit: that's 2d4 quanity, not quality.
Old February 26, 2011, 16:47   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The only weakening to general archery that's happened is the move from multiplicative slays to additive slays (so flaming ammo on an x3 launcher does x6 damage, not x9). Rangers also now start with shortbows instead of longbows, but that's a result of starting all characters with the same total value for gear + starting money.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2011, 20:47   #8
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
It's also worth noting that oil is weakened in the nightlies. It now does 1d4 branded fire (e.g. 3d4). This is still better than a starting shortbow (2d4) but given the shorter range, heaviness and fragility of flasks of oil it seems to be working better.

I'm interested to see how it plays for people.
Old February 26, 2011, 21:46   #9
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
It's also worth noting that oil is weakened in the nightlies. It now does 1d4 branded fire (e.g. 3d4). This is still better than a starting shortbow (2d4) but given the shorter range, heaviness and fragility of flasks of oil it seems to be working better.

I'm interested to see how it plays for people.
I've been using 1d4 * 3 for quite some time. It plays fine. However, throwing has the same range of 10 as a shortbow or sling, so don't mention that as a drawback.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2011, 01:08   #10
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I've been using 1d4 * 3 for quite some time. It plays fine. However, throwing has the same range of 10 as a shortbow or sling, so don't mention that as a drawback.
Oh. That's... confusing.

Thanks for pointing that out. I feel like that must be an error.