Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old January 5, 2012, 01:03   #11
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by getter77
Or that Unified NPP 32x32 one recently making great strides at being all-inclusive, yet specific to each?
I didn't want to derail the Sil thread so I moved this over here.

Right now UT32 is a WIP and still just a toddler.

UT32 (Vanilla) is a special case. Apparently the currently hosted version is only compatible with V3.2 and earlier versions due to a change in the prf file format and a change in the way lighting is handled, which I was entirely unaware of because I just don't play that much V. It's going to stay as is until it can be 'fixed' and incorporated into current and/or past V, which isn't a priority for me right now.

UT32 (NPP) is the only other case, and therefore special, ahem unique, in it's own right, thus the (NPP) extension. This is temporary. Once work on NPP is complete other variants will be assimilated, FA first off because I believe it will require zero new tiles and because I like FA, and will make it slightly more universal and probably become just UT32, maybe UT32 (NPP,FA), who knows.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, like most variant developers, I don't have a comprehensive long term plan.
Old January 5, 2012, 01:17   #12
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
Ah, right on, was just a thought off the cuff considering he'd mentioned how much had been trimmed down in terms of the bestiary, town, etc that I'd wondered if the incidental bits might already be "done" in general save any uniques to Sil outright.

Plenty of time for it all to get sorted out as it does across the board---2012 is well on the way to being a pretty interesting one riding the wave of 2011 developments both core and with variants like this, Fay, etc.
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2012, 22:45   #13
buzzkill
Prophet

UT32 NPP screenshot. Looking good, if I must say so myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UT32 NPP.jpg
Views:	3419
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	892  
Old January 5, 2012, 22:53   #14
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
Agreed, though it may be because I need some dinner, that Bread Scroll looks delicious in particular.
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2012, 21:22   #15
buzzkill
Prophet

UT32 has grown. Because of the growing number of variants contained within, there will be no more UT32-NPP, or UT32-Vanilla. There will only be UT32 from here on out. It's just easier that way. Accordingly, the file structure at mediafire/buzzkill has changed. The UT32 folder now contains ALL UT32 files. The individual NPP, FA and Vanilla folders are no more.

FA has been assimilated, at least partially. Terrains should display correctly but I wouldn't recommend using UT32 for FA just yet. Monsters and objects have not been remapped and may display incorrectly or not at all. I'll get that straightened out in the coming days. Comments and error reports are welcome.

For the record, UT32 is now compatible with Vanilla, NPP and FA (partially).

Since I don't see any real need to, I will no longer host (or hold) the older versions (pre-UT32) of the tile sets for these variants. The respective maintainers, should they desire to, are encouraged to hold on to a copy just in case.
Old March 1, 2012, 23:21   #16
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Congrats on making progress with this. We have a ticket to use UT32 over graf-dvg in 3.4 ... could you recap what we'd need to do to achieve that? Can we just drop in UT32's 32x32.png (or .bmp or whatever it is) and the associated graf-, flvr- and xtra- files, or is there more to it than that? Sorry if this is a dumb and/or irritating question - I am not good with tiles.
Old March 1, 2012, 23:35   #17
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Congrats on making progress with this. We have a ticket to use UT32 over graf-dvg in 3.4 ... could you recap what we'd need to do to achieve that? Can we just drop in UT32's 32x32.png (or .bmp or whatever it is) and the associated graf-, flvr- and xtra- files, or is there more to it than that? Sorry if this is a dumb and/or irritating question - I am not good with tiles.
UT32's vanilla files are based on Vanilla 3.2. There's a png currently available (bmps also) that exactly match and also supersede the older UT32-Vanilla images. Unfortunately, the format of the prf files changed after 3.2, I think, don't quote me on that. While the prf file for 3.2 (at mediafire.com/buzzkill) is correct, I don't believe that prf will work in 3.4. Someone will need to manually port the values from one to the other, or write a script that will do the same. I won't make any guarantees about this, but I'd bet that 98% of the prf changes were to the terrains, and very little else has been altered.
Old March 1, 2012, 23:44   #18
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
UT32's vanilla files are based on Vanilla 3.2. There's a png currently available (bmps also) that exactly match and also supersede the older UT32-Vanilla images. Unfortunately, the format of the prf files changed after 3.2, I think, don't quote me on that. While the prf file for 3.2 (at mediafire.com/buzzkill) is correct, I don't believe that prf will work in 3.4. Someone will need to manually port the values from one to the other, or write a script that will do the same. I won't make any guarantees about this, but I'd bet that 98% of the prf changes were to the terrains, and very little else has been altered.
OK, there might be a bit more to it. I forgot about the lighting changes. I haven't played 3.4 so I'm unaware of exactly what has changed but I think it just a matter of shading a few tiles (that previously didn't require shading) and adding them to the set. Easier than it sounds, but inserting them will alter the addresses of everything that follows them (and that's almost everything). But what I said above remains true and IMO is the larger task.

I'll have to grab 3.4 and take a look. Changes to the Vanilla portion of the tileset requires changes to the prf's of every variant that uses vanilla terrains. That's means all of them. I gotta nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand.
Old March 1, 2012, 23:50   #19
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
OK, there might be a bit more to it. I forgot about the lighting changes. I haven't played 3.4 so I'm unaware of exactly what has changed but I think it just a matter of shading a few tiles (that previously didn't require shading) and adding them to the set. Easier than it sounds, but inserting them will alter the addresses of everything that follows them (and that's almost everything). But what I said above remains true and IMO is the larger task.

I'll have to grab 3.4 and take a look. Changes to the Vanilla portion of the tileset requires changes to the prf's of every variant that uses vanilla terrains. That's means all of them. I gotta nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand.
Well, I guess I'm glad I mentioned it but sorry it means more work for you. You are right about the lighting change, I had forgotten about that. That is quite important.
Old March 2, 2012, 00:00   #20
buzzkill
Prophet

As long as I'm harping on UT32 and Sil is the flavor of the month...

I do believe that Sil does support 32x32 tiles in some capacity. Just drop in some UT32 bmp's and you're off. Obviously without a properly mapped graf-dvg.prf most everything will display incorrectly. But if any ambitious soul wanted to try to start working out the prf for Sil, it would certainly hasten Sil's inclusion.

My casual method of the above is to simply play the game and correct display errors as you encounter them. Lots at first, then fewer and fewer. Not as much fun as just playing, but certainly more fun than the alternative.