Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2015, 17:07   #1
budswell
Scout
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 45
budswell is on a distinguished road
[poschengband] Beserk questions

Hi,
I am playing my first beserker. I'm enjoying it alot, very different to the way I normally play. Almost feels like a different game.

So just have a handful of questions, kind of want to confirm what I'm thinking is right? And that I'm not doing anything too stupid.

1 - I took the class help literally when it said no scrolls or magic devices. Got them all being auto-destroyed by pickupref. Is that reasonable? Or could I be missing out on something. (I really miss detect traps/doors and light area). And no (A)ctivates will work either?

2 - Escapes (teleport etc). Do I just have to play without them? If I run into something to scary for me, I am thinking I'll just have to recall and quaff all my healing potions while I wait

3 - I am wielding my first anti-magic item. What exactly does it do? I assume no spells (doesn't affect me). Does it offer so protections? Or boost to saving throw?

4 - Distance attacks. Am I right in assuming its not worth bothering with bows or throwing stuff? Guess I'll just ignore awake breeders and magic mushrooms
budswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015, 20:05   #2
chris
PosChengband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 702
chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by budswell View Post
Hi,
I am playing my first beserker. I'm enjoying it alot, very different to the way I normally play. Almost feels like a different game.

So just have a handful of questions, kind of want to confirm what I'm thinking is right? And that I'm not doing anything too stupid.

1 - I took the class help literally when it said no scrolls or magic devices. Got them all being auto-destroyed by pickupref. Is that reasonable? Or could I be missing out on something. (I really miss detect traps/doors and light area). And no (A)ctivates will work either?
That is correct: no devices or activations at all! (You can drink potions, of course). Wands and staves are useful only for those races that eat charges (e.g. zombies, which make excellent berserkers, btw).

Quote:
2 - Escapes (teleport etc). Do I just have to play without them? If I run into something to scary for me, I am thinking I'll just have to recall and quaff all my healing potions while I wait
Yup! Recall can be deadly, as can traps which you can never detect (unless Dwarf/Nibelung, but the fail rates are too high anyway). Try to stay near stairs as much as possible.

Quote:
3 - I am wielding my first anti-magic item. What exactly does it do? I assume no spells (doesn't affect me). Does it offer so protections? Or boost to saving throw?
For you, anti-magic just means saving throws. Without it, you will fail every saving throw (I think) so it is pretty darn important, at least in the end game (e.g. Hand of Doom takes 60% of your hp if you fail the saving throw!)

Quote:
4 - Distance attacks. Am I right in assuming its not worth bothering with bows or throwing stuff? Guess I'll just ignore awake breeders and magic mushrooms
Bows are for defence and stat boosts only Some races (e.g. Android) get good distance attacks, though. In general, tunnel into walls in a zig-zag fashion and let monsters come to you. You also have quake and massacre if you get caught in the open.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015, 17:16   #3
budswell
Scout
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 45
budswell is on a distinguished road
Thanks heaps

Edit:
Wow, that was fun. Easily my best char in any variant. Beserker is so much simpler. A lot of the inventory management and things to be scared of are not part of the game.
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=17709

Died like I thought I would, went one round too long with something I shouldn't have. Think most of the damage was from its sheaths. Over 800 HP taken in that round.

Last edited by budswell; May 28, 2015 at 07:15.
budswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poschengband game mechanic questions Fnord Variants 259 September 7, 2016 06:15
[PosChengband] Making Realms Questions riftor_77 Development 5 August 4, 2014 13:24
What now? PosChengband advice grodrigues Variants 2 July 20, 2014 13:11
[PosChengband] Where do I go from here? riftor_77 Variants 9 June 27, 2014 01:22
Poschengband advice Raajaton Variants 8 February 24, 2014 23:22


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.