AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 31, 2019, 12:17   #271
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
New builds are up on the nightlies page with the following changes:
  • Humanoid and human player class monsters (rangers, paladins, etc) have reverted to the original colours, druids are yellow;
  • Dragons can now clear webs (thanks Grotug);
  • Typo in darkness activation fixed (thanks Chud);
  • Books have reverted so that priests have the traditional green and mages the traditional red; necros still get pink/purple, druids now get yellow/orange;
  • Books for half-casters are now a subset of the full caster ones (with a sad backward look at the blackguard book names);
  • Using timed status effects no longer destroys ranger decoys (thanks everyone who reported).

On the blood falcon thing, I could nerf either the damage or the speed, I'm inclined to go with the damage.
Old March 31, 2019, 14:27   #272
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl will become famous soon enough
Updated on live

(It appears savefiles have been broken since the last update, so everyone needs new characters)
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2019, 17:21   #273
NightLizard
Rookie

NightLizard is on a distinguished road
Sorry for my earlier reporting of changing lore.txt crashing the game before. It turned out it was entirely my fault. I made a mistake when copying (I copied the text rather than the file, probably mismatching newlines or something).
NightLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2019, 22:15   #274
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightLizard View Post
Sorry for my earlier reporting of changing lore.txt crashing the game before. It turned out it was entirely my fault. I made a mistake when copying (I copied the text rather than the file, probably mismatching newlines or something).
Thanks - I was just feeling bad about not having looked at that yet
Old April 1, 2019, 17:13   #275
Youssarian
Scout

Youssarian is on a distinguished road
Running on the current nightly and playing a necromancer. I equipped a torch (of brightness) just to id the rune, but it doesn't actually light up the area around me. In a dark corridor, it stays dark. Although it does light up a wall from time to time. I am only the level 2 (100') and haven't encountered a dark room to test it in yet.

If it does light up a room, I will update.

edit: It doesn't produce light in rooms either.

He commands his servant Sauron to create the One Cupcake of Doom!

Last edited by Youssarian; April 1, 2019 at 17:33.
Youssarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2019, 19:36   #276
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youssarian View Post
Running on the current nightly and playing a necromancer. I equipped a torch (of brightness) just to id the rune, but it doesn't actually light up the area around me. In a dark corridor, it stays dark. Although it does light up a wall from time to time. I am only the level 2 (100') and haven't encountered a dark room to test it in yet.

If it does light up a room, I will update.

edit: It doesn't produce light in rooms either.
Necromancers don't like light. I think you'll find that you can see fine in the dark (for a certain distance that increases with level) without any light source equipped, and that equipping a light source actually reduces how far you can see (still in the dark).

This also makes potions of enlightenment more of a mixed blessing than for other classes.
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2019, 20:07   #277
Youssarian
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
Necromancers don't like light. I think you'll find that you can see fine in the dark (for a certain distance that increases with level) without any light source equipped, and that equipping a light source actually reduces how far you can see (still in the dark).

This also makes potions of enlightenment more of a mixed blessing than for other classes.
But a torch should still function the same. A lit room doesn't go dark because I walk in it. I was just equipping the torch to learn the rune, not to use it generally.

It would be nice if a necromancer could "see" an entire dark room the same way a character who prefers light does.

Old April 1, 2019, 20:47   #278
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
You see in the dark depending on your level, try without the torch, you see 2 squares? Are you seeing 2 squares with a torch of brightness?
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2019, 21:10   #279
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youssarian View Post
It would be nice if a necromancer could "see" an entire dark room the same way a character who prefers light does.
Try casting or reading Darkness in a room. It will map the room the same as Light does, but, of course, it doesn't make things in the room visible if they are out of the range of sight, infravision, or ESP of the necromancer @.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2019, 21:33   #280
Youssarian
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
You see in the dark depending on your level, try without the torch, you see 2 squares? Are you seeing 2 squares with a torch of brightness?
That works just fine. I am not losing sight or missing my ability to see the dungeon around me. But a light, regardless of my class, should still emit light. Just like something that emits darkness wouldn't stop doing so because I see light instead.

It just seemed like a bug to me that a light source works differently because of my class. If it is intended that way then no worries.

As to seeing in the dark (such as the room), does a necromancer eventually have an equivalent LOS as a visual light seeing character?

Also, in the lore under Wormtongue, Agent of Saruman it says he does not resist nether (I casted a nether bolt). But in the game it says he resists somewhat when I cast the spell at him. Perhaps he gets a resistance from another magic source?

Last edited by Youssarian; April 1, 2019 at 23:07.