Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 7, 2010, 23:14   #21
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
I can't say I have strong feelings on this. If I was to make recall less necessary, I'd do it by putting a recall point randomly on each level. It could work immediately or there could be a delay. Doesn't really matter.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2010, 23:59   #22
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I can't say I have strong feelings on this. If I was to make recall less necessary, I'd do it by putting a recall point randomly on each level.
I like this idea.
Old February 8, 2010, 06:45   #23
Rizwan
Swordsman

Rizwan is on a distinguished road
I am against it . Then no one would post YASD due to hunger
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2010, 07:28   #24
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Is hunger really an interesting issue outside of ironman, in which these hypothetical recall points wouldn't work anyway? Okay, yes, every once in a great while someone loses their scrolls and has a limited amount of time to make it back to the surface. I don't think that really happens often enough to make hunger an interesting mechanic in Angband.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2010, 08:11   #25
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizwan View Post
I am against it . Then no one would post YASD due to hunger
They would if they couldn't find or couldn't reach the recall point.
Old February 8, 2010, 08:25   #26
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Is hunger really an interesting issue outside of ironman, in which these hypothetical recall points wouldn't work anyway? Okay, yes, every once in a great while someone loses their scrolls and has a limited amount of time to make it back to the surface. I don't think that really happens often enough to make hunger an interesting mechanic in Angband.
Agreed. Hunger doesn't work in Angband as it does in other roguelikes. I don't think anyone seriously advocates putting in another reason to return to town just for the sake of it. (Running out of ?phase, !CCW, and other useful consumables is reason enough to either recall, or plunge deeper in ironman.) Same goes for light. It may be sort of interesting choosing between ego/artifact light sources, but consumable light isn't an interesting mechanic either.
Old February 8, 2010, 20:12   #27
Colbey
Apprentice

Colbey is on a distinguished road
As an intermediate player, I don't think hunger by itself is "interesting", but all the "little" things together are. It's not that I've liked the times I've died from hunger, but I sort of like the experience of having to avoid dying from hunger, and lack of light, and bad traps, and heavy curses, and so on. I'm worried that the game experience is changing to eliminate all of these things. It should be hard for new players to dodge the "easy" things, because there are so many of them to dodge!
Colbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2010, 20:28   #28
Netbrian
Adept

Netbrian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Honestly, I advocate getting rid of hunger altogether. All it does is make ironman players unhappy and inconvenience Warriors. If I run out of recall and am low on food, I just stairscum my way back to town.
Netbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2010, 20:32   #29
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
I'll agree that for the most part WoR, and hunger, and refillable light, are largely petty annoyances. But they do have the important and desirable indirect effect of consuming inventory slot(s), forcing you to think about what to do.

Indeed, I think it would be nice to have an aritifact that activated for "Satisfy Hunger". Not particularly exciting, but worth an inventory slot to the non-magic-using crowd.
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2010, 20:51   #30
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
Indeed, I think it would be nice to have an aritifact that activated for "Satisfy Hunger". Not particularly exciting, but worth an inventory slot to the non-magic-using crowd.
What about a rod of satisfy hunger? Or adding satisfy hunger to restoration staves?
fph is offline   Reply With Quote