AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 2, 2011, 06:45   #21
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSK View Post
Yeah I totally feel the same way--I have brought this up before--I'd like to see something special at the town level called "Trophy room" where you can store unlimited artifacts. I really don't think it would mess up game balance. As an inducement (I know the maintainers want to push toward no-selling as the standard, ultimately without a "selling" option), they could offer the "trophy room" feature only in Birth_no_selling games.
I don't think anyone objects to adding a Mathom house (to permanently donate items to). It's just that no one has done it.

Patches are certainly welcome.
Old June 2, 2011, 16:08   #22
Zababa
Apprentice

Zababa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
I don't think anyone objects to adding a Mathom house (to permanently donate items to). It's just that no one has done it.
Mathom House is such a fitting name for it. I like it. With it we'd get more of the LOTR/Hobbit flavor into the game.
Zababa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2011, 16:26   #23
Nolendil
Adept

Donated: 10 euro
Nolendil is on a distinguished road
Max Stats,
I'm seeing the benefits of "no selling".
Being less burdened and carrying moderately useful consumables longer can surely save your life once in a while.
The thing that worried me a bit though was that I ID by selling a lot during the early game (even if ID by use made this less useful), but yesterday I've watched tobias's Angband videos who plays with "no selling" and noticed that it's still allowed to sell stuff (even though you get no money from it).
So I'm quite convinced now, I just need to try it for my next game (which hopefully won't be too soon, I hope to get a bit farther with my current one ).

And yes, squelching works great and I already use it that way. The thing is I'm at a point where even when picking only ego items, they are common enough to encumber you quite fast.

Otherwise, having a Mathom House in V sounds good to me.
I hope I will muster enough courage to do more than download the source and let it rot in one corner of my harddrive someday

Last edited by Nolendil; June 2, 2011 at 18:21.
Nolendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2011, 17:14   #24
Zababa
Apprentice

Selling is the best ID ever. I sell everything I find under DL10. Later, I buy a staff of identification and use it on the more valuable looking items.
Old June 2, 2011, 17:56   #25
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I generally ID-by-use early potions now that there's no Weakness, Salt Water, etc. to worry about. Typically the only difficult ones to ID are Neutralize Poison (only if you're poisoned) and Boldness (only if you're scared) -- the rest, as long as you're injured when you try the potion, will sort themselves out. So if I have a potion with {tried} on it then I know it's probably one of those two.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2011, 18:07   #26
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I generally ID-by-use early potions now that there's no Weakness, Salt Water, etc.
I just found salt water in my game, so that one is still there. Or perhaps added back.

It has a use, IIRC is cures poison and if you are planning for major fight drinking it and then eating food ration ensures that you are not too satiated to not be able to drink potions of healing without getting gorged.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2011, 18:49   #27
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Hm, I don't remember the last time I saw salt water, but it does seem to still be in the game. Odd. I guess I've just not encountered it in its relatively narrow depth band (150' to 750'). And you're right, it does have its uses.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2011, 18:53   #28
Zababa
Apprentice

I have found salt water yesterday, so it did not occur to me that anything about it changed.
Old June 2, 2011, 19:38   #29
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Hm, I don't remember the last time I saw salt water, but it does seem to still be in the game. Odd. I guess I've just not encountered it in its relatively narrow depth band (150' to 750'). And you're right, it does have its uses.
In fact I don't recall seeing it at 3.2... checking...it's there too, but it is pretty shallow item (3 to 15). I guess I pass those levels so fast that it just didn't have time to get generated. Also I haven't got many games in 3.2 because this rapid development.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2011, 04:11   #30
SSK
Adept

SSK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
In fact I don't recall seeing it at 3.2... checking...it's there too, but it is pretty shallow item (3 to 15). I guess I pass those levels so fast that it just didn't have time to get generated. Also I haven't got many games in 3.2 because this rapid development.
Yeah, I'm finding that a rapid dive to about level 16 works well for me (I think umber hulks and hummerhorns are native to something like 850 ft). Then I try to get some source of r confu and see invisible before heading to level 32 or so for stat gain, so I haven't noticed salt water either.
SSK is offline   Reply With Quote