AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 1, 2010, 06:28   #11
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
what command fires at the nearest target in the rogue-like keyset?
It's TAB I think.
Old August 1, 2010, 09:14   #12
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I tracked down where inscriptions are written about (in playing the game) So I changed the cross-references in commands and dungeon so that they're pointing in the right direction (and reattached)

playing
Added example to description of {@x#}. Included quiver description.

added description of 'h' command in original keyset (dunno what equivalent command is in roguelike)

changed !f!k!d to !v!k!d in inscriptions

Nothing else here really needs updating but I would really like to change the title of this section to "customizing Angband" and move the first half (brief description of commands) into the commands file.

I'll post a copy after I do that (probably tomorrow).
Fizzix, this is great stuff - many thanks. As promised, I'll get on with reviewing and committing it now.

Keep up the good work!

P.S. To avoid thread navigation misery, please could you attach all the latest versions to the first post in the thread? Thanks.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2010, 15:57   #13
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
as per Magnate's suggestion, new files are at the beginning.

After thinking about the organization, I decided to do a major overhaul. I really didn't like the way command.txt and playing.txt were set up. The useful information was seemingly arbitrarily split between the two files. If I was to look at commands.txt the first thing I would hope to see would be a list of commands. Unfortunately, this was halfway down in playing.txt and didn't exist in commands.txt at all. Furthermore, most of the stuff in playing.txt described pref files, keymaps, macros, inscriptions, etc. This stuff is incredibly useful, but not exactly necessary to playing the game.

Lastly, I changed the dungeon.txt to playing.txt since this is essentially a demo to how to navigate the game. And 'dungeon' wasn't really all that descriptive. Overall the net change is that "dungeon.txt" will no longer exist, and instead there will be a new "customize.txt"

list of changes

command and customize

I moved all the command related stuff in playing.txt to command.txt, and put the list of commands at the top. I removed all the repetitive stuff, and added the enter menu access near the beginning of the file. This should really help new players get into the game quicker.

Playing.txt is changed to customize.txt This file is a lot shorter now, since all the command related stuff is removed. I elaborated on inscriptions more, including the m1a example for magic missile.

I also added a new section on making subwindows.

added TAB for shoot at nearest with roguelike commands.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2010, 17:31   #14
fizzix
Prophet

changes in attack.txt

added "I"nspect to tell number and damage of blows. (I know it's elsewhere, but it's germane in both places)

changed monster memory description to be correct with current changes.

changed 'some weapons are cursed' to 'a very few weapons are cursed' (more so we know to go back and alter this when curses get changed)

added that you can learn weapon bonuses in combat.

moved description of ego armor and weapons to the end

reworded the 'cause wounds' section

added that potions can restore stats

moved inventory damage to resistance section including resistance effects

added section on stunning and cuts.

changed speed ring record to +23, just because I could.

removed 'only immunities can protect inventory' from immunities section along with the above move.

added id-by-use to armor

removed 'boots of noise'

removed description of '*identify*' added id-by-use instead
Old August 1, 2010, 19:05   #15
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
"weapon and armors are cursed" you mean? As a side note, I actually had a useful heavy cursed helmet last game. Immunity fire and rDis, with drain xp. Kept as swap in inventory.

One could do a dungeon.txt to have some general guidelines of the different dungeon level areas? Like 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-59 and 60-79, 80 and up? Ya know in short:
1-9: level up, kill, use by id, no reqs, beware groups
10-19: danger level rises, get your basic gear in order, enchant a weapon, gather stuff to sell and check stores, learn escapes
20-29: you might want to have FA/SI by now or very soon, you'll be able to start gambling your important stats up, basic resists should be coming along
30-39: proper stat gain starts, last chance before danger level really starts increasing, get yourself some good offense, escapes and hopefully detection
40-59: danger is up, beware! speed consumables may be needed, advanced escapes like teleOther, confusion/blindness starting to be common so resistances are very useful
60-79: you should have the general knowhow by now to play, very dangerous stuff now so the ultimate escapes may be required (*destr* for example), rewards are starting to get very good by end of this level range
80+: welcome to endgame, everything goes and that means this is pretty much how dangerous it will get, the deeper you go the more plentiful the dangerous opponents are and the higher the rewards though.

I could write up an initial version if people think we should do a "newb guide intro to dungeon" thingy...
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2010, 19:31   #16
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I believe that is incorrect. An ego with a curse shows up as cursed or worthless or something. I believe this distinction is about the presence of the curse flag only, so if there was an ego with only aggravation that would show up as (ego) or (ego-item) or whatever it is.
Either my memory is gone, or someone changed it since I last looked. Probably just me being senile.

I just got one, and it showed up as {ego, cursed}
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2010, 23:30   #17
fizzix
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post

I could write up an initial version if people think we should do a "newb guide intro to dungeon" thingy...
I think something like this could be useful, although you may find that your descriptions don't match those of other players. I didn't include any of this because of this reason and also because I wasn't sure how spoilerish it should be.
Old August 2, 2010, 01:27   #18
fizzix
Prophet

I think this is the last one, although I think I realize now that there was no mention in any of the files about squelching, so I really think I need to stick that in somewhere, I don't know where though...

I also don't know what the mouse buttons on the bottom of the screen are. If anyone uses them can you please explain.

Also I couldn't figure out what display status does on the subwindow menu.

options

almost all these changes are dictated by actual changes in the options menu

added hide items set as squelchable

added always show lists

added mouse movement and mouse buttons (but no description for mouse buttons)

moved highlight player to match ordering

removed depth_in_feet

removed (very slow) from center map continuously

changed "'viewable' grids" to 'field of view' to match option menu

removed (slow) tags where it appears

changed disturb panel to disturb detect

removed disturb when boring things happen

removed the monster farming references to activate quick messages. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why it was here or what on earth someone reading this list for the first time would think it meant.

added some more description to auto_more. Specifically mentioned subwindows.

added notify_recharge

removed auto_scum option

added birth_money

changed the ordering of birth options to match the list

changed that upstairs are not generated to upstairs are not usable in birth_ironman

there's a comment on birth_no_artifacts that should be read by bron, not a change, but just pointing it out.

added birth_no_preserve and birth_feelings

changed "window flags" to "subwindow display settings"

changed display player commands to match what actually is there

removed the 'very slow' on overhead view

Added item squelch settings

Added the remainder of the settings in the options menu.

Last edited by fizzix; August 2, 2010 at 04:59.
Old August 2, 2010, 01:40   #19
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
A noble effort!
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2010, 05:26   #20
fizzix
Prophet

added squelching description in customize.txt

Also added a update of all the major changes since 3.0.9 (from rephial) as well as changes up to what is currently in HEAD.