Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 1, 2010, 16:07   #1
fbas
Apprentice

fbas is on a distinguished road
spell/scroll suggestion: send item to home

Maybe this would be too much of a good thing, but I would like to occassionally send something in my inventory up to my home without having to leave the level I'm on.

Oh, and I like how in tomenet you can drop money, especially on lower levels when rogues, ghosts, and smeagol take what precious little you have. Can we allow stowing cash in the home?

[sometimes i get frustrated at the tiny inventory size of my house, but I guess that's a good feature of the game, causing me to make executive decisions]
fbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2010, 16:32   #2
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Ooh, that would be a nice feature... Reminds me of Torchlight, where you could send your pet to town to sell junk
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2010, 17:04   #3
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Yeah, that would be so nice. I keep finding heavy randarts that I might use, or want to sell. They often interrupt my dives. As in: "Why did he have to get a double-move now. One more turn and he would be dead." while (after) fighting some mage-dude, usually unique, usually with awesome drop (or so you tell yourself).
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2010, 17:39   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Dropping money I could see, but not in the home. Otherwise there would be no reason to not drop off your entire wallet in your home before every dungeon dive, aside from annoyance/turn count. Not only that, but you'd completely neuter thieving monsters; the cash you pick up during a typical dungeon dive is a downright trivial contributor to your overall income so long as selling is in the game.

On the other hand, I do think a "send item to home" spell effect could be useful without breaking anything.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2010, 20:27   #5
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
I like the idea- I can't imagine carrying around separate scrolls for this, so either an activation, or a power granted by a certain clevel or dlevel. Maybe once you get to cl20, make WoR targetable on a stack of items?

This makes inventory decisions a little easier (maybe a bad thing given the importance of inventory limits in the game), but also reduces the number of trips to and from the town, which means more time in the dungeon (a good thing, imho).

On a similar note-
Is there a command to see what is in your home? (aside from creating and opening a character dump)... There are times when I can't remember what I have (were those boots stability or stealth? was that =dex + 2 or +3), and it would be nice to know whether it's worth bringing something back that may or may not be better or redundant.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2010, 20:29   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I could imagine carrying separate scrolls for this. They'd be a "use up before returning to town" type of consumable, but they'd be used.

One downside I just realized: this greatly reduces the inventory constraints on young mages, whose primary limitation is weight, not slots.

You can check out the contents of stores (as of your last visit to the town) from the knowledge menu, though I don't know if the house is included in that list. If it isn't, it's probably a trivial change to add it.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2010, 20:42   #7
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
I'm opposed. Deciding what to carry and what to keep is a big part of the game.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2010, 20:50   #8
NotMorgoth
Adept

NotMorgoth is on a distinguished road
I've often thought there should be the opposite effect: "Summon item from home" so if you needed it you could get that amulet (or whatever) with a rare resist that you were saving and would probably otherwise never use.
NotMorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2010, 21:38   #9
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
You can check out the contents of stores (as of your last visit to the town) from the knowledge menu, though I don't know if the house is included in that list. If it isn't, it's probably a trivial change to add it.
It is - in fact it was the inspiration for the whole thing (Leon added the home to Sangband's knowledge menu, though he may have taken that from one of the variants he liked, like Ey). The difficulty adding the others was to avoid giving away changes to contents while you were in the dungeon. This is a joyous hack: surface time stops while you are in the dungeon and is all elapsed the instant you recall or climb the dl1 stairs.

I'm with Eddie: a scroll to send items home would make the inventory management game an awful lot easier.

I do, however, like NotMorgoth's "recall from home" idea. I'd suggest that it would be a scroll, as rare as Acquirement (or maybe *Acquirement*).
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2010, 21:44   #10
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
I'm of mixed mind, mostly because of the inventory management effect. How about adding it, but remove the ability to check your home inventory except when in town, and if you send something home and home is full then whatever you sent is forever lost in the interdimensional void...?

On the other hand, that's probably just annoying.
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote