Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 28, 2009, 00:03   #11
Dark
Apprentice

Dark is on a distinguished road
Thanks.

The best mob survival tactic I've found thus far is to dash into a convenient corridor, where I can hack through things one by one. Of course this doesn't help either in the wilderness, or with those annoying respawning monsters, ---- but back to the drawing board.

I think my geography in Fa is a litle off actually, ---- either that or I've read the map wrong (entirely possible sinse as I said, asqi art and screen reader's don't mix), but for some odd reason, heading west across the vale of Anduin and Hithaeglin got me to khazad dum, ---- which I admit I didn't expect, ---- but then I ended up being spidered to death in eriador, --- which really! wasn't fun.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2009, 05:12   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
FAAngband wilderness is just plain nasty--it's why Rogue and Assassin (with Unlight) are so highly favored as starting characters.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2009, 06:48   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
FAAngband wilderness is just plain nasty--it's why Rogue and Assassin (with Unlight) are so highly favored as starting characters.
It has got easier over time - and probably will again with the AI changes in the next version.
Old April 28, 2009, 09:57   #14
Dark
Apprentice

Well, both because of the contingency of being sneaked up on by a monster which I just happened to miss seeing, and because I'm more naturally an up close and personal sort of chap, I've generally been playing the classes with good melee, ---- my favourite being paladin sinse you've got healing and other effect spells if needed.

I've also been finding money a trifle hard to come by, ---- though maybe that's because I've been playing Daajangband with the no selling option, so am used to getting more gold, ----- and it doesn't stop me getting crunched anyway, lol!

Btw, both in Faangband and Oanband, I'm wondering where the sound is? I tried the Angband soundpack with the sounds from the bbc radio play version of lotr, ---- which was really nice if a trifle anacronistic for the first age, but found that lacked a few handy options and features, being as it was an earlier version of Angband, so I've put up with the three or four sounds in the original version, ---- but the two Oanband varients don't seem to even have those. Any particular reason why?
Old April 28, 2009, 11:16   #15
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Btw, both in Faangband and Oanband, I'm wondering where the sound is? I tried the Angband soundpack with the sounds from the bbc radio play version of lotr, ---- which was really nice if a trifle anacronistic for the first age, but found that lacked a few handy options and features, being as it was an earlier version of Angband, so I've put up with the three or four sounds in the original version, ---- but the two Oanband varients don't seem to even have those. Any particular reason why?
I think I've broken it. I am planning to look into it for next release; I play without sound, so I tend to forget about it.
Old April 28, 2009, 20:04   #16
Dragonboneman
Adept

Dragonboneman is on a distinguished road
Dark - 'scuse my butting in but don't I know you from the Project Aon forums? They're up to Book 20 now, in case you didn't know.

Doomy
Dragonboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2009, 21:49   #17
Dark
Apprentice

Wow doomy, --- or should that be Dragonboneman, --- Hi! it's been a while.

I really need to play through the lw stuff again, including the last couple. I've been geting the E-mails and even writing announcements of lw progress for Audiogames.net, ---- but I admit I do need to reacquaint myself with the series.

Right now obviously, I've just discovered Angband, ---- the first Roguelike I've found compatible both with my level of site and screen reading software, --- given the look command's ability to cycle through objects, the big tyle mode, and high contrast of the yellow targit box as well as the player in the old tyles set, especially in the Oanband varients with the double tyle mode, ---- though I've been having quite a bit of fun with Daajangband as well.

this is a great discovery for me, ---- given my thing about exploration, and the fact that I can't usually play games like zelda owing to all the blasted text.

Fair enough as reguards the sound Nick, ---- though not entirely essential, I would appreciate it in the next version, ----- especially if some extra sounds could be added if possible to go with the extra environments and game events.
Old April 28, 2009, 22:03   #18
Dragonboneman
Adept

Wow, first time I've seen someone pop up on an entirely separate forum I also happen to be a member of. Spooky!
I've been playing roguelikes off and on for about five or six years, mostly Vanilla which I have won a few times now.

Have you tried the Dubtrain sound pack? I think it is excellent. Works in Vanilla and NPP.

Link: http://www.dubtrain.com/angband/
Old April 28, 2009, 23:49   #19
Dark
Apprentice

Spooky indeed, ---- though i must confess not the first time it's happened to me.

My general problem with roguelikes is the asqi graphics are slightly too small for me to see, and too damnably confusing with a screen reader, ----- imagine listening to "hash Hash hash hash" about 50 times!

I've tried Nethack and adom, but had litle look with either, --- and only really stumbled on Angband on a whim.

I started out playing Vanilla, but as usual when i try out something else, i thought I'd check out the recently posted varients, ---- hence why i began on Daajangband, ---- which is nice sinse it has the Maia race as an easy option while I get used to in game stratogies.

I'm greatly impressed that you've actually finished the game though. My best thus far is 400 ft, though i got eaten as soon as I got down there which was irritating.

I looked at the soundpack actually on the Angband wiki page at http://rephial.org/ however it seemed to only come bundled with a rather older version of Angband which didn't include some of the nicer features of the original.
Old April 29, 2009, 00:11   #20
Dragonboneman
Adept

I only won thanks to some excellent coaching from more experienced players.
That sound pack I linked you to is different from the one on the main site - it's 18 megs of sounds for just about everything, including background atmosphere, all made by one guy in his own studio. I think it adds a lot to the game.