Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 18, 2008, 23:22   #21
JamesDoyle
Apprentice

JamesDoyle is on a distinguished road
But worthless items don't get sorted first... not on my screen, anyway. That was my point - see post 1
JamesDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2008, 23:39   #22
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDoyle View Post
But worthless items don't get sorted first... not on my screen, anyway. That was my point - see post 1

After things are IDed, stuff with cost 0 goes first. I checked the code, and I verified it in the game.

Nothing gets sorted before it is IDed, otherwise sort order would be exploitable as an indicator of value.

Prior to ID, things are kept in order of discovery. This is somewhat likely to be in order of native depth, and also helps characters with weak pseudo keep track of how long things have been ripening.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2008, 09:35   #23
JamesDoyle
Apprentice

Pete, I know you're a coder, so you can look inside this but I can assure you that on my previous character who died a couple of days ago, and all characters before that, Poison, Sickliness, Slowness and (one other negative potion) appear about halfway down the list, once identified. That was an example of what annoys me, there are others

Are you running on overnight versions? I'm running 3.0.9, if that helps.
Old March 19, 2008, 14:05   #24
roustk
Adept

roustk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDoyle View Post
Poison, Sickliness, Slowness and (one other negative potion) appear about halfway down the list, once identified.
Just to be crystal clear, halfway down *which* list?

The 'i'nventory is sorted by type (e.g., potion), then value, then depth. Stores are in a fixed order. Floor piles are FIFO, so essentially random order. I haven't looked enough at the squelch screen (under =) or the knowledge screen (under ~) to know about those.

Kevin
roustk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2008, 14:25   #25
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Ah, I didn't understand what you meant. Yes, things are grouped by class (tval), then by value within that class. It would really be awful to have things all mixed up by alphabetical order. Keeping track of utilities would be a lot harder.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2008, 18:06   #26
JamesDoyle
Apprentice

mmm, well an apology but also a clarification.

the list (I thought) I was talking about was the list (by type, e.g. potions) of identified objects, in the object knowledge lists. This previously had no order, and I was pretty certain this was still the case. So not the inventory, or shop - I agree those should group similar objects.

HOWEVER.. the list I appear to have recalled was the squelch list - this is in the same order that the identified list USED to be in, i.e. the order of N-values from object.txt.
So, sorry Pete - it appears I was arguing from a false premise!