Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2008, 17:04   #21
roustk
Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 167
roustk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimoni View Post
Note that vaults are not legal teleport destinations. This means that Phase Door will reliably get you out of a Greater Vault.
It also means that you can't shoot and scoot *within* a vault, or use PD to get around a Q with a hockey stick attack on you (in a vault; especially annoying with permanent walls).

Kevin
roustk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2008, 10:18   #22
JamesDoyle
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 53
JamesDoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimoni View Post
Unfortunately, yes.

The problem is that the arrow and boulder attacks are not implemented with ammunition, but as a spell with irresistible damage. No to-hit check is made either.
Yikes, no wonder I have so much trouble with giants. It sounds as if it may be less than straightforward to fix, but I'd hope that Andrew would look at this at some stage, as it's a bit bizarre.

And, more on topic, thanks guys, that clears up a good few things for the manual
JamesDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2008, 22:17   #23
JamesDoyle
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 53
JamesDoyle is on a distinguished road
I've been working spoiler information on the various types of magical item into the User Manual.

The primary source I've been using is edit/object.txt, and I've also been referring to Stephen Lee's object spoilers, specifically info/obj-long.txt. I've a number of questions arising from this:

1. Stephen's spoilers are from 2.7.8; I'm assuming that where they differ to object.txt, it's the latter which (as a game file) is more up to date and reliable.
2. Where the spoiler has info which is NOT in object.txt, how reliable is the spoiler info? For example, where it gives details of Rod recharging periods, how to calculate bonuses on stat Rings, etc.
3. Most of the F_ flags are pretty obvious; some I'm not sure about:
- SHOW_MODS
- LITE
- EASY_KNOW (this seems to indicate the item can be identified with normal Identify, but it's also on spellbooks - why?)

Specific questions
4. Free Action resists paralysis and slowing, right?
5. Ring of Aggravate Monster does exactly the same as the Scroll?
6. Why is the Ring of Lughtning 5000gp when the other three elemental rings are 3000, and all four have completely parallel stats?
7. Amulet of Infravision - does each +1 gives 10' extra?
8. Amulets - it's not indicated, but presumably the Amulets of Weaponmaster, Trickery and Devotion can be cursed? And Infravision too?

Cheers
JamesDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2008, 22:58   #24
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,738
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDoyle View Post
I've been working spoiler information on the various types of magical item into the User Manual.

The primary source I've been using is edit/object.txt, and I've also been referring to Stephen Lee's object spoilers, specifically info/obj-long.txt. I've a number of questions arising from this:

1. Stephen's spoilers are from 2.7.8; I'm assuming that where they differ to object.txt, it's the latter which (as a game file) is more up to date and reliable.
2. Where the spoiler has info which is NOT in object.txt, how reliable is the spoiler info? For example, where it gives details of Rod recharging periods, how to calculate bonuses on stat Rings, etc.
3. Most of the F_ flags are pretty obvious; some I'm not sure about:
- SHOW_MODS
- LITE
- EASY_KNOW (this seems to indicate the item can be identified with normal Identify, but it's also on spellbooks - why?)

Specific questions
4. Free Action resists paralysis and slowing, right?
5. Ring of Aggravate Monster does exactly the same as the Scroll?
6. Why is the Ring of Lughtning 5000gp when the other three elemental rings are 3000, and all four have completely parallel stats?
7. Amulet of Infravision - does each +1 gives 10' extra?
8. Amulets - it's not indicated, but presumably the Amulets of Weaponmaster, Trickery and Devotion can be cursed? And Infravision too?

Cheers
I don't know about SHOW_MODS, but
- LITE means it gives light radius +1.
- Free Action is immunity from paralysis (except due to stunning) and to the magical slowing spell. Gravity, Inertia, potions, Brain Smash, and traps will still work. Brain Smash is instead affected by saving throw.
- EASY_KNOW means at most one scroll of ID is required to fully ID all similar objects.
- AoInfravision - yes, 10' per +1.
- Weaponmastery, Trickery and Devotion can never have negative pvals. (They can be cursed in 3.0.9 and later, but they are still useful.) All other pval rings can have cursed negative pvals. (You really don't want to use Holy Orb on a cursed "Trickery.)
- Ring of Aggravation wakes up all monsters within 200'. It doesn't haste them in LOS.
- I don't know about spoiler info that's not in object.txt, but if they disagree, the objects file will be accurate.
- Rod recharging IS in objects.txt, in the E: lines:
E:ACTIVATION:RECHARGE
Recharge time will be n + 1dn time, so for Trap Location it is 50 turns + 1d50.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2008, 23:15   #25
CunningGabe
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 250
CunningGabe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
- EASY_KNOW means at most one scroll of ID is required to fully ID all similar objects.
Here's a good example: rings of Slow Digestion have EASY_KNOW, and consequently, whenever you pick one up (or look at one) you know whether it's cursed or not. Rings of Dexterity don't, so you don't know off-hand whether the ring is cursed or not, or how much it will affect dexterity (that is, you don't know its pval).

SHOW_MODS is a flag that means "in the object description (i.e., in the pack), show the modifications to to-h and to-d". In other words, because a Dagger has SHOW_MODS, you see it as a Dagger (1d4) (+3, +5) and not just a Dagger (1d4). The only nonweapon (currently) to have this flag is the Ring of Slaying. Currently, though, the flag is superfluous - the code currently displays the to-h and to-d values of any weapon (even if it doesn't have the flag), and anything that effects to-d (like a ring of damage). Perhaps we should just remove the flag.

Gabe
CunningGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2008, 23:26   #26
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,947
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningGabe View Post
Currently, though, the flag is superfluous - the code currently displays the to-h and to-d values of any weapon (even if it doesn't have the flag), and anything that effects to-d (like a ring of damage). Perhaps we should just remove the flag.
+1.

I would also comment that perhaps spoilers are something you should talk to Hugo about, since he has up-to-date ones for Angband 3.0.8. For example, full object information is available at: http://www.juti.nl/hugo/Angband/Spoiler/obj-long.spo. I would have mentioned this earlier but I haven't been paying quite enough attention...
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2008, 23:35   #27
JamesDoyle
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 53
JamesDoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningGabe View Post
Here's a good example: rings of Slow Digestion have EASY_KNOW, and consequently, whenever you pick one up (or look at one) you know whether it's cursed or not. Rings of Dexterity don't, so you don't know off-hand whether the ring is cursed or not, or how much it will affect dexterity (that is, you don't know its pval).

SHOW_MODS is a flag that means "in the object description (i.e., in the pack), show the modifications to to-h and to-d". In other words, because a Dagger has SHOW_MODS, you see it as a Dagger (1d4) (+3, +5) and not just a Dagger (1d4). The only nonweapon (currently) to have this flag is the Ring of Slaying. Currently, though, the flag is superfluous - the code currently displays the to-h and to-d values of any weapon (even if it doesn't have the flag), and anything that effects to-d (like a ring of damage). Perhaps we should just remove the flag.

Gabe

Thanks, that makes sense for SHOW_MODS. But for EASY_KNOW, isn't there then redundancy with HIDE_TYPE? I'd assumed that handled that from the opposite end, i.e. don't show actual values or cursing on variable items - as HIDE_TYPE applies to all the variable items?

Pete - thanks for yours too - I didn't realise Amulet of Devotion gave light, that's what confused me. Altrhough not sure about Rods - there isn't an E line in object.txt - are you thinking of a different file?

Andrew - thanks for the heads-up on the updated spoiler. Off to get it now.
JamesDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2008, 00:02   #28
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,738
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDoyle View Post
Pete - thanks for yours too - I didn't realise Amulet of Devotion gave light, that's what confused me. Altrhough not sure about Rods - there isn't an E line in object.txt - are you thinking of a different file?

\

Sorry about that--it's a very recent addition, only in the SVN (3.1.0) branch. It's a huge improvement, but I guess that doesn't help you. If you want, you can use the current SVN version.

Changes
later than ~June 2007 are specific to 3.1.0
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2008, 01:11   #29
CunningGabe
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 250
CunningGabe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDoyle View Post
Thanks, that makes sense for SHOW_MODS. But for EASY_KNOW, isn't there then redundancy with HIDE_TYPE? I'd assumed that handled that from the opposite end, i.e. don't show actual values or cursing on variable items - as HIDE_TYPE applies to all the variable items?
The HIDE_TYPE flag indicates that the object shouldn't show what kind of modification it gives, just give the value. So, for example, an amulet of Trickery boosts your speed, searching, stealth, and infravision, but it's just described as An Amulet of Trickery (+N). Compare this to some ego-armors - for instance, armor of Elvenkind. This displays as a Soft Leather Armor of Elvenkind (+N to stealth).

Again, there's actually a lot of hard-coded logic that makes this flag not particularly useful, but there you have it
CunningGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 22:34   #30
JamesDoyle
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 53
JamesDoyle is on a distinguished road
I'm back, and back to working on the manual! And for those who might be vaguely interested, I was absent due to campaigning for election to the local council, which result in a win by 554 votes, on a swing of 12.5%

Some questions related to the powers of ego-items:
1. IMPACT is the effect described in the obj_good spoiler as Cause Earthquake, I assume
2. Leon's work referred to items which conferred immunity to various elemental attacks, but there's nothing in the files I can see which could be this; is this reference a relic, or from another variant?
3. The only effect of Blessed weapons is to remove the penalty for clerics/paladins?
JamesDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Variant writing.. quickstart guide? Also, Hengband variant suggestions? dzhang Variants 34 April 1, 2009 00:45
[FA] FAangband development Nick Variants 174 May 30, 2008 02:02
Angband User Manual Wiki JamesDoyle Oook! 31 February 7, 2008 00:25
Multi-user *nix usability shadowsun Vanilla 7 September 7, 2007 13:57
Roguelike development diary andrewdoull Variants 0 May 14, 2007 11:35


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.