Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 13, 2015, 09:32   #1
Khuzdul
Scout

Khuzdul is on a distinguished road
Hundreds will die ;(

We all have flaws. This is why I would like a moment to quietly laugh at you all as we share stupid or even funny deaths from our days of not-killing-morgoth.

What are YOUR stupidest deaths!

One of mine would have to be when I was just starting, my clvl 12 Mage was raiding a vault and I let out a Great Ice Wyrm, thinking I could sleep it. I had 200 hp and when I died I had -400!

Have fun embarrassing yourself!
Khuzdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2015, 09:49   #2
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Two really stupid deaths come to mind, mainly the same mistake:

1) Killed by a cold breath from a Great Ice Wyrm for 1600 damage because I forgot to check I had all four base resists covered after switching armor from an Elvenkind to a Balance DSM (was missing res cold)

2) Killed by a frog (or similar weakling) at clvl 50 because I forgot to check I had FA after switching items and got paralyzed

Note about mistake #2: check this guy here (http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16845), he managed to actually kill Morgoth without noticing he had no FA either... so I guess it's a matter of luck (or saving throw).
Old January 13, 2015, 15:35   #3
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
My favorite stupid death was when I forgot to swap in my ring of cold immunity when facing Huan. Instead I happened to not even have cold resistance. Turns out 1600 damage is enough to kill even the beefiest of warriors.

Moral: don't fight Huan without cold resistance.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2015, 19:56   #4
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Thousands.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2015, 22:27   #5
Sose
Rookie

Sose is on a distinguished road
Had been a while since I played any *band extensively. This wasn't even one of my first characters after the break. I saw a carrion crawler and decided to melee it down! After one round, I was dead. I play with auto-more.. "Oh, those guys can paralyze you"
Sose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2015, 14:38   #6
Angrist
Adept

Angrist is on a distinguished road
This. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16600
I used T Other on Baphomet. And used T Self. And i died. Stupid enough?
Angrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2015, 10:26   #7
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
i miss the stupid thing in it?

I would rather say bad luck, what exactly do you think was stupid of your actions?
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2015, 10:40   #8
quarague
Swordsman

quarague is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
This. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16600
I used T Other on Baphomet. And used T Self. And i died. Stupid enough?
It is an unfortunate effect of the way Teleport is implemented that it has a high probability to put two things teleporting away from nearby points very close to each other. If teleport would put the monster/you in a uniformly random place on the level this effect would be very unlikely. However in this case it could happen that a TO just puts a monster right back next to you instead of very far away. I think there were lengthly discussions on this topic, it is unclear of what the most desirable behavior (from a game play perspective) of teleport should be, so for now it is as it is. If there were agreement on what teleport should do, figuring out some maths to achieve this wouldn't be too hard.
quarague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2015, 11:08   #9
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khuzdul View Post
What are YOUR stupidest deaths!
Find CGV, clear it upgrading your gear as you go until second last block where you see dracolisk, swap in Amulet of Trickery replacing Weaponmastery in order to prevent being teleported by nexus.

Dracolisk gazes at you. You are paralyzed -more-

I had ton on gear with FA in my backpack, but every single item I found in that CGV that was good enough for "upgrade" was lacking FA.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2015, 11:19   #10
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarague View Post
It is an unfortunate effect of the way Teleport is implemented that it has a high probability to put two things teleporting away from nearby points very close to each other. If teleport would put the monster/you in a uniformly random place on the level this effect would be very unlikely. However in this case it could happen that a TO just puts a monster right back next to you instead of very far away. I think there were lengthly discussions on this topic, it is unclear of what the most desirable behavior (from a game play perspective) of teleport should be, so for now it is as it is. If there were agreement on what teleport should do, figuring out some maths to achieve this wouldn't be too hard.
Problem with (mage) teleport was/is too long range. It tried to put you at the farthest corner of the dungeon it find free space. Casting it again put you into opposite corner. That lead to you jumping between fire and frying pan. Priest portal is actually better spell (at high levels) than teleport for that reason.

Problem with (early) TO is opposite: it has quite short range. That leads game again having problems finding free spots and if there is a largish room in that range it becomes probable place to put multiple monsters from single point in the dungeon causing you to find several monsters in that same location.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote