Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 2, 2020, 19:28   #1
joeljpa
Rookie

joeljpa is on a distinguished road
Keymaps help for version =+4

I spent a good amount of time searching this forum and even the official docs at https://angband.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html, but not much detailed explanation is given on customising the game, especially the potentially super-useful keymaps in the new version.

I think I can find my way around inscribing and keymaps from spells since I've done it long time back in the older versions when macros existed.

But what I want now is relatively harder for a really simple thing: a keymap to automate digging in any way..is it possible?

Say a directional keymap for digging? Like how the run command works? Anything to automate this menial task of dig, move forward, dig, move forward? Lke the basic option of autodig in Nethack?
joeljpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2020, 20:23   #2
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
It's not really much better than the T command, but do you know that ctrl+dir digs?
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2020, 03:56   #3
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
does it though?
i remember at some point it used to, but then stopped working. We had a generic "do obvious command" (with ctrl?), so if you were walking into a wall it would dig, if you walked onto a chest it wold disarm it, and so on.
Old May 3, 2020, 10:56   #4
fph
Knight

It works for me right now (Roguelike keyset, though). (EDIT: with -msdl2 under Linux).

Last edited by fph; May 3, 2020 at 14:04.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:45   #5
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Ctrl-DIR (which maps into +DIR, + being "alter grid" aka the generic "do obvious command" Sky mentioned) is your best bet, but not guaranteed to work on all platforms. At least digging automatically repeats itself 100 times, so you don't have to do that manually as well

Mapping directional digging into a single keypress would be potentially dangerous, since if you pressed that key by accident you could lose 100 turns unless interrupted.

Last edited by Sideways; May 3, 2020 at 12:54.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2020, 14:03   #6
fph
Knight

Random attempt at fixing ctrl+dir if it does not work for you (does it, though?): if you are using the numeric keypad, try both with and without Num Lock; I remember that being a problem under some conditions.
Old May 5, 2020, 19:56   #7
luneya
Swordsman

luneya is on a distinguished road
As a general rule of thumb, you don't want to dig multiple squares in a straight line. The most common reason to dig multiple squares is to build an ASC, which requires a zig-zag pattern. The second most common is to breach a vault--but to do that, you still should be digging in an ASC zig-zag so that you have a safe retreat route for when the vault monsters wake up.

Classes that focus on ranged attacks might want to build a straight approach to a vault, but they won't want to be digging for it; they should prefer stone-to-mud so that they can dig the corridor from a distance.

Since "dig a straight line" isn't a useful feature, nobody's going to code for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeljpa View Post
I spent a good amount of time searching this forum and even the official docs at https://angband.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html, but not much detailed explanation is given on customising the game, especially the potentially super-useful keymaps in the new version.

I think I can find my way around inscribing and keymaps from spells since I've done it long time back in the older versions when macros existed.

But what I want now is relatively harder for a really simple thing: a keymap to automate digging in any way..is it possible?

Say a directional keymap for digging? Like how the run command works? Anything to automate this menial task of dig, move forward, dig, move forward? Lke the basic option of autodig in Nethack?
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2020, 22:00   #8
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
you don't want to dig multiple squares in a straight line.
What about making a shortcut from here to there?
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2020, 03:58   #9
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
I dig in a straight line a lot. Early in the game while getting $ out of treasure in the walls, then later to make shortcuts between rooms and corridors. Faster to dig than go around.

Even with my mage character last game (first winner with 4.2 version) I rarely dug a zigzag to take down high level monsters and uniques. Didn't really need to.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2020, 15:13   #10
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
You might as well approach vaults with a long diagonal corridors where you can abuse LoS.
I don't do that but it's also a valid case for tunneling in the same direction.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote