Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

View Poll Results: What is stopping you from playing Unangband?
Haven't heard of it. 3 8.33%
It doesn't sound that interesting. 3 8.33%
There's too many other variants out there. 17 47.22%
I've tried it and didn't like it. 6 16.67%
I've tried it and am waiting for the next release. 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 13, 2007, 03:46   #111
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
Just sell your equipment to the shop and buy it back - problem solved

I will take this one on the chin - ID in Unangband has always been a little controversial. I would have thought that the (newish) instant pseudo-id would have helped in this regard.
I do like instant pseudo, but unless you have a good-pseudo class, you end up with annoying designations like 'magical'. And you end up getting stuff like 'uncursed', 'non-magical', all designating non-stacking arrows (+0,+0). That said, I really do like the way *ID* works, although I'm not entirely keen on it applying to ego items.

This would be much better if bags for utility stuff were common and shallow, or available in (say) the general store in Rivendell (Summer)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2007, 04:18   #112
Matthias
Adept

Matthias is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Matthias
I think the id-holding bag has been made a lot more common in recent versions. All my newer characters had it early enough.
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2007, 15:08   #113
stanza
Rookie

stanza is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
What you can do is just do a make -f Makefile.std all, and it'll make a version that works fine under X11 or in a shell (the X11 and Terminal apps are in the Applications/Utilities folder)
I've tried this too. At the time I thought the developer files for X11 were not installed as I was getting errors doing this, so I was just trying to either get curses or gcu working, neither of which would, but now it is kicking in my brain that I must have forgotten some includes. Apple does seem good at putting include folders in nonstandard places.

I'll try this when I get home from work and report. Any other Leopard-PPC users out there?
stanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2007, 20:13   #114
Pete Mack
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanza View Post
Hi, I'm a newbie on these forums.

My reasons for not playing UnAngband are that the distributed executable for OSX only works on Intel, and when I downloaded the source, and typed in "make -f Makefile.osx", it compiled and created an executable, but when I launched it, it presented me an error "Cannot prepare menu bar!" and quit.

The console does not show anything unusual from UnAngband.app.
What version of OS X are you using? When I was working on this, I was using 10.3 and 10.4

Since my OS X box is currently acting as a doorstop, I can't help you out. It means that one of the OS X configuration files (Angband.xml or something in main.nib) is broken. Perhaps somebody else can help out on this?

A quick diff of the source code shows that UnAngband does have one bug: window drags may break the mouse code.
Old November 13, 2007, 21:43   #115
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
What version of OS X are you using? When I was working on this, I was using 10.3 and 10.4

Since my OS X box is currently acting as a doorstop, I can't help you out. It means that one of the OS X configuration files (Angband.xml or something in main.nib) is broken. Perhaps somebody else can help out on this?

A quick diff of the source code shows that UnAngband does have one bug: window drags may break the mouse code.
Thanks - I'll have a quick look. Andrew Sidwell's changing use_sound to be an in-game variable has stopped me synching directly with the latest Angband code base.

Re: the files - it compiles fine from SVN. It sounds like I'm not including one or more files in the source distribution, which I'll check. The other issue might be compatibility between Power PC and Intel builds (I'm building on Intel).

Andrew
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2007, 03:54   #116
Pete Mack
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
Thanks - I'll have a quick look. Andrew Sidwell's changing use_sound to be an in-game variable has stopped me synching directly with the latest Angband code base.

Re: the files - it compiles fine from SVN. It sounds like I'm not including one or more files in the source distribution, which I'll check. The other issue might be compatibility between Power PC and Intel builds (I'm building on Intel).

Andrew
The particular error about the menu bar means that the problem is unlikely to be in the C code. Take a look at .../src/osx/English.lproj/main.nib with Integration Builder, and see if anything shows up wrong. The menu numbers should all match the constants in osx_tables.h, but failing that won't cause the menus to fail to load. It would only mean that they don't do the correct thing when you select a menu item.

PS: integration builder is a pretty easy app to learn compared to the equivalent windows tools, though it is rather more primitive.
Old November 14, 2007, 04:02   #117
stanza
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
What you can do is just do a make -f Makefile.std all, and it'll make a version that works fine under X11 or in a shell (the X11 and Terminal apps are in the Applications/Utilities folder)
I've tried this too. At the time I thought the developer files for X11 were not installed as I was getting errors doing this, so I was just trying to either get curses or gcu working, neither of which would, but now it is kicking in my brain that I must have forgotten some includes. Apple does seem good at putting include folders in nonstandard places.

I'll try this when I get home from work and report. Any other Leopard-PPC users out there?
So I get home this evening, cd unangband/src, do a make -f Makefil.std and get all sorts of errors. And then I think "well, I've got so many compiles on top of each other that if I want to give them the real errors, I need to do a make clean". Then I did a "rm *.o", followed by make -f Makefile.std, and what do you know? It works!

I suspect what had happened is that it was marking compiled files as not needing compilation, whilst the object files were for the Makefile.osx.

On to UnAngbandy goodness!
Old November 14, 2007, 23:06   #118
stanza
Rookie

Quote:
The particular error about the menu bar means that the problem is unlikely to be in the C code. Take a look at .../src/osx/English.lproj/main.nib with Integration Builder, and see if anything shows up wrong. The menu numbers should all match the constants in osx_tables.h, but failing that won't cause the menus to fail to load. It would only mean that they don't do the correct thing when you select a menu item.

PS: integration builder is a pretty easy app to learn compared to the equivalent windows tools, though it is rather more primitive.
I get the error:
'Interface Builder was unable to determine the type of "main.nib".'

This is using Xcode 3.0. I suspect if I were using Xcode 2.5 it might be able to read the nib. There does not seem to be an "importer" or anything that may work.

I'm not likely to try to download Xcode 2.5 until at least the weekend, and then only if I'm feeling tough.
Old November 15, 2007, 00:35   #119
Pete Mack
Prophet

Quote:
I get the error:
'Interface Builder was unable to determine the type of "main.nib".'

This is using Xcode 3.0. I suspect if I were using Xcode 2.5 it might be able to read the nib. There does not seem to be an "importer" or anything that may work.

I'm not likely to try to download Xcode 2.5 until at least the weekend, and then only if I'm feeling tough.
That is strange. Is 3.0.9 working? It was built using the same XCode, and shares a lot of the same code in main.nib. (3.0.8 is even closer; the only difference w/ UnAngband is the 'about' popup.)
Old November 15, 2007, 01:54   #120
stanza
Rookie

Quote:
That is strange. Is 3.0.9 working? It was built using the same XCode, and shares a lot of the same code in main.nib. (3.0.8 is even closer; the only difference w/ UnAngband is the 'about' popup.)
Vanilla Angband 3.0.9 compiles without any problems whatsoever. And the nib happily loads in Interface Builder.

So, I copied main.nib from Angband 3.0.9 (it's a folder) into UnAngband 0.6.2 and the first time I try it, it gives me a permissions error, but I learn my lesson this time, make -f Makefile.osx clean; make -f Makefile.osx and it works!

The only catch is that the about window is wrong. So for anyone else who wants a PPC build, I offer this link:
http://www.techfocus.net/~stanza/tmp/UnAngband.app.zip

I can't guarantee that it will work on your machine, with my developer experience I find almost nothing works on the non-development machine the first try. But I've got almost no mac developer experience, so YMMV.