Old November 13, 2010, 20:29   #1
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Egoless Ironman

I'm doing surprisingly well with an ironman game with
no egos
or artifacts, dump here

I am nowhere near the 550 hp required to face the serious nether breathers.

I think I will have no choice but to farm for exp. I'm thinking I should create angel explosions since they don't breathe. An alternative would be to collect some clone monster wands, and I guess go after swamp wyrms. Is cloning cheesier than inducing an explosion even after accounting for using up a precious slot? I'm starting to wonder about that.

There are only 16 levels to go. I've been mostly clearing levels of monsters with drops, except for graveyards. Do I try to force the issue and kill too-tough foes using up consumables? Do I wait for a speed ring? It is starting to feel as if time is running out.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2010, 23:20   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Don't you basically need two +6 CON rings? I don't see how you can do it otherwise. That will rob you of 0% fail so you'll need to kill with -annihilation etc.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 04:03   #3
PowerDiver
Prophet

The goal is one speed ring and one con ring. That means a lot of CLs are needed to get the hp up.
Old November 14, 2010, 09:24   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
The goal is one speed ring and one con ring. That means a lot of CLs are needed to get the hp up.
Oh yes I'd forgotten about speed, you really don't have any choice but to go with one of each. Wow - there isn't anything else that can give you CON, so you're going to max out at 18/150 IIRC (+1 race, -2 class, +6 ring). I guess you should get over 600 with that for the final fight, but am I right in thinking that you can't reach 0% fail? Oh - you can if you find a +4 "magi ... good luck with that.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 11:12   #5
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
If you want my advice, I think a stupid death would do wonders for my adequacy issues.
Old November 15, 2010, 22:49   #6
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
If you want my advice, I think a stupid death would do wonders for my adequacy issues.
Ask and ye shall receive. Death to Tarrasque frost breath, could have had double resistance or otherwise avoided it. Ladder dump updated.
Old November 15, 2010, 23:43   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
How heavily did you use those attack wands? The big problem I had with my recent mage character was having enough mana to kill things. That, and while Meteor Storm is very reliable damage at 200HP a pop, it's not necessarily all that fast. And of course mages are too squishy to stand in melee, but at range, summons mean you can't hit with meteors any more (and Rift is really mana-hungry).

Edit: I should note I haven't yet found Tenser's or Kelek's with this character, so I'm stuck with the basic 4 + Raal's for attack magic. One of my biggest annoyances with mages -- how heavily they rely on dumb luck to get the spells that enable them to deal with foes.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2010, 00:45   #8
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
How heavily did you use those attack wands? The big problem I had with my recent mage character was having enough mana to kill things. That, and while Meteor Storm is very reliable damage at 200HP a pop, it's not necessarily all that fast. And of course mages are too squishy to stand in melee, but at range, summons mean you can't hit with meteors any more (and Rift is really mana-hungry).
Playing non-ironman, I made major use of wands of dragonfrost and dragonfire. I even used dragonbreath against foes that resisted at one element.

In this game they were precious, so I used them less. I tried to kill major foes mostly with mana and used the devices more for backup when mana ran out.

Most of my game was before CL40 so rift was not any more efficient than any other MB6 spell for the majority of my game.
Old November 16, 2010, 04:52   #9
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Ask and ye shall receive. Death to Tarrasque frost breath, could have had double resistance or otherwise avoided it. Ladder dump updated.
I like to think that if you can win with egoless ironman, then there is something wrong into game. It should not be possible even for you.

Make a journey pointing out the weaknesses of the game you used to win when (if) you win, then maintainers should plug those weaknesses to make game harder.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2010, 07:51   #10
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Eddie--
* Bummer about the Tarrasque. Especially since you are carrying MB5.
* I'm a bit surprised at your limited selection of amulets. I figured amulet swaps would be huge in an Ironman game. (Why lose the AoESP? Surely it's better than Rods of Light+AoMagi for walking around.)
* Why no melee weapon? Surely even that character is strong enough to mow down Troll pits.

I don't see you getting so far again for a while: MHDSM is just a huge find.

Also: That is an absolutely amazing run. I can't imagine getting so far in egoless play, never mind egoless ironman.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote