AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 28, 2020, 14:50   #161
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
It formed automatically "Serpent of Chaoses", so I didn't check the source but it looks like the system can handle plurals in -es.
Same bug with serpent of the brownlands ("serpent of the brownlandses"). Missing plural line in monster.txt.
Old January 28, 2020, 15:25   #162
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwind View Post
What's the plural of quylthulg supposed to be, anyway?

I noticed in looking at monster.txt there's no plural: tag for memory moss. Is the code smart enough to form that one correctly automatically?
It'll put -es on any thing ending in s.

Some more missing plurals: Red-hatted elf, Crow of Durthang, witch, spider of Gorgoroth

Edit: was looking at an older list, witches is fixed already

Last edited by wobbly; January 28, 2020 at 15:32.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2020, 20:16   #163
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Trying to implement the Sil-lightning from current V, I'm looking at calc_lighting() in cave-view.c:

Code:
		/* Get light info for this monster */
		light = mon->race->light;
		radius = ABS(light) - 1;

/* Skip monsters not affecting light */
		if (!radius) continue;

/* Light or darken around the monster */
		for (y = -radius; y <= radius; y++) {
			for (x = -radius; x <= radius; x++) {
From what I understand, having light = 1 means the monster is illuminated and having light = 0 means the monster is not illuminated and having light > 1 means the monster carries a light source. So this cannot work.

What the code does:
- light = 0: radius = -1, it works since the loop goes from 1 to -1 and does nothing
- light = 1: radius = 0, it doesn't work (monster is not illuminated)
- light > 1: radius = light - 1, it works

Fix: replace "if (!radius) continue" by "if (!light) continue"
Nice catch, thanks
Old January 28, 2020, 20:35   #164
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Lack of stair detection is a real drag. Back in theday, there were other ways todetect stairs besides magic mapping--scolls and rods of door/stair detection. Without those, there aren't enough sources of mapping to make up the loss. The result is a lot of tedious exploration to find the next level. Not sure what the right fix is for this, if any.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2020, 22:20   #165
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Lack of stair detection is a real drag. Back in theday, there were other ways todetect stairs besides magic mapping--scolls and rods of door/stair detection. Without those, there aren't enough sources of mapping to make up the loss. The result is a lot of tedious exploration to find the next level. Not sure what the right fix is for this, if any.
Nick was pretty adamant about removing them. (I begged, sobbing, and pleading, so he did add back stair detection at least for mages and rogues). Unfortunately, and I believe just an unintended consequence, about the same time stairs were made to appear only in hallways or small enclosed spaces, making finding them even in ordinary exploration a pain in the butt. I haven't played the latest nightly yet, but Nick said he has mostly reverted stair generation, so the lack of detection might not be as much of an issue. Fingers crossed.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2020, 22:48   #166
eastwind
Apprentice

eastwind is on a distinguished road
yesterday playing the nightly with a very low-level mage (like lvl 3 or 4) I went down from town to 1, then 1 to 2 rather briefly, then started back up. I spent a loooong time on 1 looking around for the stairs, even with my detection spell, because it has limited range and there were exactly two up-stairs in the entire level, both within about 5 grids of the map's lower left-hand corner.

I wasn't sure whether to be annoyed at how long it took, or relieved that I'd started back as soon as I had so I didn't run out of food just trying to go up one level.

I can't see trying to play without some kind of stair detection ability. In the old days I did, but stairs were much easier to find.
eastwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2020, 02:00   #167
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
At the very least, it'd be nice to have the map spell back in an town priest book. That class took a serious nerf in this version, in the way of spells--loss of mapping, escape, and CC/SW spells means it is very, very weak until the first dungeon book. (The better stats make will make up for it somewhat later on.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2020, 08:26   #168
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Usually there's a room with pillars on the level and all staircases are put inside that room because it's convenient for the code. Maybe reduce the chance to generate such room would improve how stairs are placed?
Old January 29, 2020, 15:33   #169
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Stairs really ought to just not be placed in close proximity to each other. Didn't we have at least one lengthy discussion about this previously?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2020, 15:52   #170
Huqhox
Adept

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Stairs really ought to just not be placed in close proximity to each other. Didn't we have at least one lengthy discussion about this previously?
We did, including code suggestions as I recall. I'd be happy to see this implemented