Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old June 17, 2008, 03:44   #11
Riloki
Rookie

Riloki is on a distinguished road
Played a spider character on the Fury mod of T.o.M.E, or maybe it was Theme. Anyway, I had been carefully skirting a deep water tile when I came upon a wave lord with no other monster in sight or with detect monsters.

Mind you, I was intentionally looking for them, and had a supply of detonation potions available. I was a decent clevel but I wanted a boost to get some more nice skill points with which to cause havoc upon those poor dungeon dwellers, but I digress.

So, a few potions of detonations to a friendly mob and a carefully laid web to fall back to just in case later, I killed the critter, got a few easy levels, and wilderness mapped it back to the closest town. The problem is though, I was out of food, and when I was almost there, I started starving, and the last move I made was into town, at which point I starved to death, and lost everything.

Blast and bebother bad karma!
Old June 17, 2008, 16:45   #12
drez
Rookie

drez is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to drez
ha, slick.
drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2008, 16:50   #13
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narvius View Post
That's why I use a monster list term window...

What is this strange artifact you speak of, "monster list term window"??

Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2008, 17:47   #14
Narvius
Knight

Narvius is on a distinguished road
It's a really rare one - you can only find it on Level 100 of the dungoon "Angband.exe".
Narvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2008, 05:24   #15
Zero
Apprentice

Zero is on a distinguished road
Dumbest death ever? I've got you all beat:

My current character is the closest I've ever come to winning, but my second best character died because I didn't realize Banishment affected the whole level. I thought it was just the area around the character, like Mass Banishment. So, at 4900', my mage died "from the strain of casting Banishment" because I didn't think it would affect the troll pit on the other side of the level.

I also once found a RoS +5 at 500' and soon after died because I didn't realize that Moaning Spirits did actual damage in addition to their DEX reduction. So, I read a WoR and then let the thing keep hitting me as I waited to recall to town, and was SHOCKED when I died. I even had a few CCW in my inventory. I just didn't think I was taking any damage. And so I lost my character at 750' with a RoS +5.

And those are just the two I remember. I'm sure I've had many deaths just as bad as those two.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2008, 08:08   #16
The Sparrow
Scout

The Sparrow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Dumbest death ever? I've got you all beat:

My current character is the closest I've ever come to winning, but my second best character died because I didn't realize Banishment affected the whole level. I thought it was just the area around the character, like Mass Banishment. So, at 4900', my mage died "from the strain of casting Banishment" because I didn't think it would affect the troll pit on the other side of the level.

I also once found a RoS +5 at 500' and soon after died because I didn't realize that Moaning Spirits did actual damage in addition to their DEX reduction. So, I read a WoR and then let the thing keep hitting me as I waited to recall to town, and was SHOCKED when I died. I even had a few CCW in my inventory. I just didn't think I was taking any damage. And so I lost my character at 750' with a RoS +5.

And those are just the two I remember. I'm sure I've had many deaths just as bad as those two.
So AFTER I read this, and I find character trapped in a room surrounded by hounds I read my banishment scroll and banish Z...and die "from the strain of casting banishment"

A wise man is one who can learn from other's mistakes.
The Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2008, 02:49   #17
xxitheworld
Rookie

xxitheworld is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
Go through the trouble of rolling a character, pick up everything you need in town and finally, venture into the dungeon....

...You are engulfed in flames
...You have died

death by firetrap, before I ever saw a monster.
Haha, classic.

That's why my mages now always get a ring of warning as early as possible, and keep them until they can survive traps.
xxitheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2008, 13:41   #18
Tenka
Scout

Tenka is on a distinguished road
[Hengband]

So I finally managed to get a Shadow fairy Ninja past the pathetically weak stage and it has become a lot of fun, superspeed, many, many attacks/round and nobody ever knows where I am.
It's lovely.
Unfortunately in this game enjoyment breeds complacency, while porting around a flooded dungeon post cleanout run, IDing all the drops I had no time for I spot a respawn I've never seen before, A Seahorse! so cute! Time to stab some back I think to myself....

Avoid Seahorses like the plague, I implore you all.

It is my thing to build low hit point/high gimmick characters and another guy was running back the the exit and simply died all of a sudden...I'd run past a mold which killed me on the flyby.

Had a lvl30x magic user get all of his Recall scrolls burned who then starved to death...alone...in the dark.

Changed items and found myself in a graveyard..seconds from death. Turns out that had been the only thing keeping me levitating and I fell through a trap door when I took it off ...was pretty funny once I figured it out.

You attack the Orb.
The Orb explodes.
You die.

One time I skipped 50' because killing Freesia would give me more xp quicker, second step at 100' yields an acid trap which burns me to death.
Tenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2008, 18:36   #19
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Hardly the stupidest death ever! I died of starvation once, while in town.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2008, 10:55   #20
jebak
Rookie

jebak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Hardly the stupidest death ever! I died of starvation once, while in town.
Starving to death when fighting Morgoth would be nice.
jebak is offline   Reply With Quote