Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old September 2, 2016, 16:28   #1
bagori nd
Apprentice

bagori nd is on a distinguished road
Make Artistry automatic

i.e., let any character with weaponsmith/armoursmith improve the stats on smithed weapons/armour automatically.

rationale: As it stands, Artistry is a not a great long-term investment, since it is (and should be) duplicated by Artifice. As such, this wouldn't impact dedicated smiths much, but it would make would putting a few points in Smithing and just taking one of these abilities (along with maybe Enchantment) a more viable choice, since with a lucky pair of smithing gauntlets and a bit of mithril you could make pretty decent stuff with a reasonably low XP investment.
bagori nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016, 19:08   #2
seraph
Apprentice

seraph is on a distinguished road
i like this idea. the only problem would be balancing the early game. for 300 exp a fŽanor could make a fine longsword and longbow. a little more investment and you can make them double-fine or add an ego and +3 arrows become available too. however i think the difficulty needs to be adjusted anyway. so once that is done it wouldn't be unbalanced.

another option would be to add stuff onto artistry: either +1 to the number of uses on forges or -1 to the number of uses to make an artifact; a reduction in smithing time; etc.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016, 20:19   #3
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I'm just going to note that artistry/enchant is actually the easier way to go on the Nogrod then artifice - mostly because less smithing investment is easier & 3 fine enchanted bits of gear as opposed to 1 mediocre artifact. Also stealth runs can get anything they'd ever want from artiface (x3) from enchant/artistry. Add jeweler (1000xp on top of armour/artistry/enchant on the Nogrod) & you get the feanorian lamp of brightness at 16.

Otherwise I pretty much agree. Fine gear already requires the raw skill to build, I don't see what artifice adds to the mix. Ordinary fine is easy to find in dungeon. Low weight fine also takes a lot of skill, again you'd still need to invest raw points.

Last edited by wobbly; September 2, 2016 at 20:25.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016, 23:47   #4
Infinitum
Adept

Infinitum is on a distinguished road
Seems fair enough. Smithing does have too many must-have abilities as is. Makes me wonder if the other smithing abilites could be consolidated as well, eg Blacksmithing (weapons, armour, artistry) -> Runesmithing (jewelry, enhancemens) -> Artifice. Granted with Masterpiece that's just 4 abilites + Grace in the tree, but hey new design space. It would also ensure that characters could actually afford proper artifact smithing prior to the endgame.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2016, 19:22   #5
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
For info Artifice doesn't supercede Artistry - they stack. For high end smiths you really want both to make the nicest gear.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote