AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 23, 2019, 05:06   #351
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
I don't usually find rogues very satisfying, personally. It seems like conceptually rogue = thief, more or less, and as a thief you generally want to avoid fights. Avoiding fights doesn't really play very well in Angband though - it can be done, sure, but it's a bit painful and tedious. So, you end up tweaking the rogue into a somewhat weaker fighter with somewhat better utility spells, but that's about it. Meh. (IMO )
Odd, rogue is my favorite character class. Mostly for the object detection ability so I don't waste time or take risks going after worthless or unhelpful items.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019, 17:59   #352
fph
Veteran

fph is on a distinguished road
Bug: necromancer polymorphed as a bat, typing E tells me "you have no food to eat" even if I have mushrooms in my inventory.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019, 18:36   #353
wobbly
Prophet

wobbly will become famous soon enough
Typo on one of the hydras.

name:3-headed hydra
desc:A 2-heded hydra with an extra head, it's mouth dripping venom.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019, 19:42   #354
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I haven't played Necromancer yet, so maybe I'm unfit to make the following suggestion, but I think it would help distinguish Necromancers from other classes (and overall make the game more rich and interesting) if they are natively immune to blindness from being hit by darkness of any kind and heavily resist darkness attacks (so that they always take only 1/6 damage--hello Ungoliant, you shall die now) but are sensitive to light (so they take an additional +50% damage from light attacks). If they have rLite then they suffer the same amount of damage from light attacks as everyone else does who doesn't have equipment based light resistance. But if they don't have light resistance then instead of taking 400 damage from a light attack they'd take 600. So they really need to be wary of Pseudo dragons. Not sure who else has big light attacks in the new bestiary. Maybe to balance out their heavy resistance to dark a few more light attacks could be added (maybe some As aligned with good?)

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019, 20:04   #355
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
... But if they don't have light resistance then instead of taking 400 damage from a light attack they'd take 600. So they really need to be wary of Pseudo dragons. Not sure who else has big light attacks in the new bestiary. Maybe to balance out their heavy resistance to dark a few more light attacks could be added (maybe some As aligned with good?)
Ethereal dragons. I hate them (big light/dark breath, blind, confuse, pass wall).
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019, 00:54   #356
fph
Veteran

fph is on a distinguished road
It's not clear to me, but looking in the source, it seems that necromancers get dark resistance, even if it doesn't show in the character screen:

Code:
	/* Unlight - needs change if anything but resist is introduced for dark */
	if (player_has(p, PF_UNLIGHT) && character_dungeon) {
		state->el_info[ELEM_DARK].res_level = 1;
	}
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019, 01:42   #357
wobbly
Prophet

wobbly will become famous soon enough
Wrong depth:

### Dungeon level 33 ###

name:drúadan druid
depth:29
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019, 08:50   #358
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
Minor level-generation quirk: I just went down some stairs, and came out here. Being a passably capable mage with some detection and a handy wand of stone to mud, this is no big deal, but if I happened not to have any way to get through granite and happened not to have any teleport or phase door (ok, unlikely), there would be no way to leave these 4 spaces other than via the stairs.

I don't know if this could happen when playing with disconnected stairs, but if so, that might not end well.

Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2019, 02:11   #359
khearn
Rookie

khearn is on a distinguished road
I've just come back to Angband after not playing it for several years, but I'm a long-time player. When i started playing, Angband was spelled "Moria".

So I recently downloaded the 4.1.3 sources and compiled them and have been playing and finding it very familiar (although I have run into some issues that I'll ask about in a different thread). But it looks like there are a whole slew of new changes coming along, as discussed in this thread. Looks like a bunch of new classes, and I'm not sure exactly what else.

Change isn't necessarily bad, more classes got added to rogue, which eventually resulted in nethack. So I'm curious about the new stuff being done.

Is there somewhere I can look for a description of all the new changes in head? I assume there will need to be such a doc before there is a release with all the new stuff, so I'm hoping it's being maintained as stuff is added and hopefully someone can just point me to it.

Thanks,

Keith
khearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2019, 02:30   #360
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by khearn View Post
Is there somewhere I can look for a description of all the new changes in head? I assume there will need to be such a doc before there is a release with all the new stuff, so I'm hoping it's being maintained as stuff is added and hopefully someone can just point me to it.
First thank you for your complimentary view of my state of organisation

There is no such documentation currently, but the changes can be summed up briefly as
  • Complete rework of classes; you really need to play them to get a feel, but the short version is
    • Two new realms of magic added, nature and shadow
    • Three new classes added - Necromancer (shadow), Blackguard (shadow) and Druid (nature); also rangers moved from arcane realm to nature
    • Full casters now use only five books, half casters only two or three
  • Major rework of monsters - summary here

There are many new mechanics added to enable all of this (shield bashes, player and monster shapechanges, and lots of others), but that's a quick overview.