Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2019, 06:34   #151
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,793
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I disagree, "is weaker" is as much a reason as "is stronger". Though for the most part I'm fine with it either way (xp penalties or no xp penalties).
I can understand that viewpoint, having won with every race/class combination (before the new classes were added), but apart from challenges for experienced players I doubt new players will be playing those without the experience penalties that balanced things out a bit. Nonetheless, like you, I'm fine with it either way.
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2019, 06:57   #152
Chud
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 269
Chud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I still think the race xp modifiers have value, or else there's just not much reason to play less powerful races.
I don't think XP modifiers have value, because I don't think that's the right way to weight one race over another. I think they should all have the same XP progression, and they should each have specific advantages and disadvantages (hopefully roughly in balance) that make them appeal differently to different players' styles of play.
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2019, 12:35   #153
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 2,021
wobbly is on a distinguished road
Not sure if this has been fixed since, but I'm looking at Sphara's necromancer win and the lantern of shadows says "intensity 3 light"
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2019, 13:33   #154
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,737
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Not sure if this has been fixed since, but I'm looking at Sphara's necromancer win and the lantern of shadows says "intensity 3 light"
Apparently it has (although I don't recall when) - I just generated one and it behaved correctly.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2019, 01:01   #155
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,737
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorczar View Post
Attached. Hope that is what you need.
I'm playing a separate one without persistent levels, seems to run smoothly.
Thanks, that was very helpful. Bug found and fixed - your savefile should work fine now. I assume no-one was really playing persistent levels, because this bug was completely disastrous
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2019, 03:01   #156
Vorczar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Lakewood, OH
Age: 43
Posts: 9
Vorczar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Thanks, that was very helpful. Bug found and fixed - your savefile should work fine now. I assume no-one was really playing persistent levels, because this bug was completely disastrous
Since it was introduced I like to play persistent without WOR and it feels more "real". If I can't defeat an OOD unique, or a can't get into a walled pit, I go back later. I also stash hoards of good randarts, Life potions and Mass Banish and go back for them before the Morgoth battle.

Thanks for all the cool stuff you've done to Angband. I just registered to post about this bug but I've played since Moria.
I'm psyched to play the final version of a Necromancer.
Vorczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2019, 04:24   #157
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,737
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Thanks, that was very helpful. Bug found and fixed - your savefile should work fine now.
I should have said - your savefile will work fine in the next build, which should be out soon.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2019, 07:25   #158
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,737
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
New builds up on the nightlies page and angband.live with the following changes:
  • Lights back on the ignore by type menu as before
  • Fix to bug which made an extra step get run sometimes, particularly into traps and after recall
  • Fix horrendous crash bug in the persistent levels birth option
  • Bugfixes and improvements to the necromancer Command spell, including:
    • Better descriptions of objects dropped by commanded monsters
    • Fix to a bug which crashed the game every time a monster with acid, electric or poison melee attacked another monster
    • Added a command to release a commanded monster ('r')
    • Improve messages
    • List valid monster commands if an invalid one is entered
    • Fix a bug causing crashes when a monster tried to inflict another with melee paralysis
  • In-game helpfiles gutted to just leave basic command and symbol lists
Note that the full help files are now in the docs directory, and are in .rst format - so fairly human-readable and even better browser-readable. They are also here. Note also that the help files have not been updated beyond 4.1.3; that will happen soon (and before 4.2 release).
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2019, 16:20   #159
Diego Gonzalez
Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 51
Diego Gonzalez is on a distinguished road
In this last build I cant pick up money when a monster is in LOS, and some keystrokes are ignored in some situations I cant figure out.
Diego Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2019, 16:58   #160
gtrudeau88
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 13
gtrudeau88 is on a distinguished road
Regarding XP penalty question

Why not consider something like what FAAngband did?

FAAngband has no XP penalty at all but the races like high elf start in a more dangerous part of the game, facing higher level monsters from the outset? These races also start with better weaponry to balance out but it's still very challenging.

Here are some suggestions:
- let the weaker races start with better weapons, maybe something they inherited.
- let the weaker races start with more gold at the beginning. Let the high elves, etc start no more than with 100 gold whereas a human get 1000 which would be enough for a bow plus hand weapon, etc
- let the stronger races have a specific vulnerability. Maybe high elves are inheritantly vulnerable to poison or cold, say 10 to 15%?

Just some thoughts.
gtrudeau88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First release Quirk Sil 18 November 14, 2017 22:45
3.4.0 Release Candidate is available fizzix Vanilla 111 July 5, 2012 12:39
3.2 release candidate is upon us! d_m Vanilla 147 January 19, 2011 10:10
Release HellBand 0.8.7 konijn_ Variants 4 December 27, 2009 04:14
reactions to changes in new V release will_asher Vanilla 50 April 9, 2008 18:47


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.