Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old September 30, 2012, 13:02   #11
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
I can't think of a good reason why the base Angband, nor most other Roguelikes really save for special cases, would not benefit from pretty well wholesale copying of the EXP gaining mechanics at the very least---probably perhaps only needing to tinker with the tapering off effects as the kills pile up for given types when there is 100 floors or whatever versus Sil. Hell, I already pretty much advised as much for LambdaRogue some months back.

It is indeed a Eureka aspect in terms of "Damn, why hasn't this been with us since a decade+ ago?!"
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2012, 14:16   #12
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by getter77 View Post
I can't think of a good reason why the base Angband, nor most other Roguelikes really save for special cases, would not benefit from pretty well wholesale copying of the EXP gaining mechanics at the very least---probably perhaps only needing to tinker with the tapering off effects as the kills pile up for given types when there is 100 floors or whatever versus Sil.
I think the main obstacle to this working more widely is not the number of floors, but the number of enemies you can encounter at any depth. You need to expect to meet several of most types of foe for the decay to be meaningful.
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2012, 14:38   #13
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by getter77 View Post
I can't think of a good reason why the base Angband, nor most other Roguelikes really save for special cases, would not benefit from pretty well wholesale copying of the EXP gaining mechanics at the very least---probably perhaps only needing to tinker with the tapering off effects as the kills pile up for given types when there is 100 floors or whatever versus Sil. Hell, I already pretty much advised as much for LambdaRogue some months back.

It is indeed a Eureka aspect in terms of "Damn, why hasn't this been with us since a decade+ ago?!"
I like this mechanic also.

Most games do have an EXP falloff, since you gain less EXP as you gain levels. So killing orcs for exp isn't really viable at clevel 25. You kill them for the stuff they drop. However, a strict falloff has the same difficulty of balance as a lot of the Sil mechanics when the player is allowed to hang out on levels forever.

Still, I wouldn't be opposed to someone drafting and implementing a new EXP system for v4. It could also give EXP for finding items and seeing monsters like Sil does. Might be tough to balance though.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2012, 15:52   #14
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
I have seen the XP fall-off suggested before (and was planning to use it in Beleriand); the bit I think is genius is the experience for encountering monsters. That I am pinching.
Old September 30, 2012, 15:58   #15
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Still, I wouldn't be opposed to someone drafting and implementing a new EXP system for v4. It could also give EXP for finding items and seeing monsters like Sil does. Might be tough to balance though.
Yes, I'd like to see this kind of thing too - it could go hand-in-hand with a new scoring system.

The one aspect of Sil I don't like (and remember this is on paper/in theory, since I haven't actually played it yet) is the twin sets of rolls for combat. I've played a lot of combat games, and I prefer there to be one roll for attack and a constant value for defence (AC or evasion or whatever). Two opposed rolls makes the mental arithmetic of estimating your chances much too hard. Of course this may be the idea!
Old September 30, 2012, 16:32   #16
Scatha
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I have seen the XP fall-off suggested before (and was planning to use it in Beleriand); the bit I think is genius is the experience for encountering monsters. That I am pinching.
That came into the game not long before release (you can see in the pre-release change notes), when we were looking for more non-combat sources of experience to make a wider range of builds viable. We're happy with how it turned out!

One mechanic I'd direct your attention towards if you're looking for things you'd consider putting into Beleriand is the rules for light and magical darkness. It's very simple, plays well, and makes light and dark a serious part of the game, which feels perfect for the Tolkienian setting.

Edit: Adding a description of the mechanic, since it's not in the manual.
Dungeon squares can by default be lit (light level 1) or unlit (light level 0). If you have light radius N then you add (N+1-k) to squares at distance k (where k < N+1). If you have dark radius N (= "light radius -N") you do exactly the same but subtract (N+1-k) instead of adding it. As well as the player, some monsters have a light or dark radius (as do some items on the ground). If the total light level on a square is positive, it's lit and you can see what's there. If a light-averse monster is on a square with light level L > 2, they get a penalty of (L-2) to morale and all of their rolls.

Edit 2: That's actually a very clunky description for such a simple mechanic. I hope the idea is clearly conveyed.

Edit 3: Perhaps a picture.

Code:
Shadow Spider (not moving), light radius -2; player, light radius 2; dark room:
######## ######## ######## ########
#******# #******# #******# #******#
#**M***# #******# #******# #****..#
#******# #******# #****..# #***@..#
#****.*# #**....# #**.@..# #**....#
#*.....# #*..@..# #*.....# #**...*#
#*..@..# #*.....# #**...*# #******#
######## ######## ######## ########

Last edited by Scatha; September 30, 2012 at 21:32.
Old September 30, 2012, 16:47   #17
Scatha
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
The one aspect of Sil I don't like (and remember this is on paper/in theory, since I haven't actually played it yet) is the twin sets of rolls for combat. I've played a lot of combat games, and I prefer there to be one roll for attack and a constant value for defence (AC or evasion or whatever). Two opposed rolls makes the mental arithmetic of estimating your chances much too hard. Of course this may be the idea!
There are definitely some simplicity advantages to a single roll. However an advantage to using opposed rolls (or indeed a single "roll" drawn from a distribution symmetric around zero) is that it makes the different skills directly comparable. If your melee is higher than their evasion, you will hit over half the time. And sometimes we roll, for example, Will against Will. The opposed rolls also give you more of a bell-shape, which reduces the incidence of weird effects where extra points in a skill are useless to you.

That said I think we'd like it if there were an aid in-game to help you with the combat arithmetic.
Old September 30, 2012, 18:17   #18
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
That said I think we'd like it if there were an aid in-game to help you with the combat arithmetic.
In Vanilla once you learn the AC of a monster you will see something like, "You have a x% chance to hit this monster with your current weapon" on the creature recall screen. I could imagine putting that information there. Maybe something like:

Code:
Your chance to hit monster: x%
Your average damage:  d

Monsters chance to hit you: x'%
Monsters average damage: d'
The calculation would include your current weapon and armor of course, so it should change as you switch around weapons. If you really want you can include some measure of variance for the damage as well. Extra lines for "range of possible damage" and/or some confidence interval for likely damage values.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2012, 19:30   #19
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
There are definitely some simplicity advantages to a single roll. However an advantage to using opposed rolls (or indeed a single "roll" drawn from a distribution symmetric around zero) is that it makes the different skills directly comparable. If your melee is higher than their evasion, you will hit over half the time. And sometimes we roll, for example, Will against Will. The opposed rolls also give you more of a bell-shape, which reduces the incidence of weird effects where extra points in a skill are useless to you.
I accept that opposed rolls provide a symmetric distribution, but I think an asymptotic single roll with diminishing returns is a nice hybrid of smooth distribution and simple mental arithmetic. So every skill point continues to get you *something*, but each is worth slightly less than the last.

It's worth noting that V spectacularly doesn't do this: there are huge breakpoints at the upper ends of the STR and CON bonus tables. Then of course there's the significantly un-asymptotic 0% failure ...
Old September 30, 2012, 22:45   #20
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
At the very, very least then----exp for successfully Identifying things and making it to a newly reached decent depth or other metric is a no-brainer and would essentially move mountains towards making stealth and other more unorthodox playstyles more viable across the entire landscape of such, especially alongside the "first encounter" exp---since otherwise all you have is combat kills and that funnels some tunnel vision into the entire game design something fierce.
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote