Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2007, 22:27   #1
Dragonboneman
Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 182
Dragonboneman is on a distinguished road
Minor display glitch in 3.0.9

My Gnome Mage, Telethel, is still alive, but I've been too busy doing other stuff to play much of late. Killed Glaurung this morning, though.
However the point of this particular post is to highlight a (very) slight issue with the display. I use four visible windows, with Term-2 displaying current equipment in the bottom left of my screen.
Hopefully this rather crude .jpg image will help show the problem:



You should be able to make out a slight problem with the way Dal-i-thalion is displayed in this window.

Having had a quick look at the issue tracker on rephial.org (not that I understand much of it!) I think this problem may already be known, but I thought I'd better report this just in case.

Edit: I should mention that this is in Windows XP.

Last edited by Dragonboneman; October 22, 2007 at 22:36.
Dragonboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 00:08   #2
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonboneman View Post
My Gnome Mage, Telethel, is still alive, but I've been too busy doing other stuff to play much of late. Killed Glaurung this morning, though.
However the point of this particular post is to highlight a (very) slight issue with the display. I use four visible windows, with Term-2 displaying current equipment in the bottom left of my screen.
Hopefully this rather crude .jpg image will help show the problem:



You should be able to make out a slight problem with the way Dal-i-thalion is displayed in this window.

Having had a quick look at the issue tracker on rephial.org (not that I understand much of it!) I think this problem may already be known, but I thought I'd better report this just in case.

Edit: I should mention that this is in Windows XP.
Number 5 is alive!

(Now I'm showing my age / bad taste in movies).
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 00:57   #3
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,173
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
Number 5 is alive!

(Now I'm showing my age / bad taste in movies).
Oooh, yes. I mean, what are you talking about?
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 08:03   #4
Dragonboneman
Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 182
Dragonboneman is on a distinguished road
Wow, thanks for your help, guys. Reminiscing over a fictional robot that had less RAM than my laptop yet somehow achieved sentience really cleared that up!

Dragonboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 09:16   #5
Daven_26d1
Adept
 
Daven_26d1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North of England.
Posts: 211
Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonboneman View Post
Wow, thanks for your help, guys. Reminiscing over a fictional robot that had less RAM than my laptop yet somehow achieved sentience really cleared that up!

But everyone knows lightning does wonders for electronic goods. Toss your lappy in the garden next time there's a storm if you don't believe me!

DISCLAIMER:- The author takes no responsibility for expensive equipment damaged due to proximity with harsh atmospheric conditions.
__________________
You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
The shopkeeper howls in agony!
You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 10:06   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Meanwhile, back on planet Earth (which film btw? I'm halfway in age between Andrew and Nick, but it totally escaped me ....)

That display glitch is common to all windowing systems, and is ancient (it's been there since I started playing V2.9.0 at least). If you make the window wide enough, does it sort itself out? I can't remember, because I always just put up with it. If not, it's presumably not impossible to add code to allow it to use up available space if the window is wide enough.

The only real consequence of it is that you can't see your inscriptions on long item names, which I guess makes a difference if you can't remember which was @A1 and which was @A2 etc. ....

CC
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 11:08   #7
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,173
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Meanwhile, back on planet Earth (which film btw? I'm halfway in age between Andrew and Nick, but it totally escaped me ....)
Film? What film? Let's just Short Circuit this discussion...

Quote:
That display glitch is common to all windowing systems, and is ancient (it's been there since I started playing V2.9.0 at least). If you make the window wide enough, does it sort itself out? I can't remember, because I always just put up with it. If not, it's presumably not impossible to add code to allow it to use up available space if the window is wide enough.

The only real consequence of it is that you can't see your inscriptions on long item names, which I guess makes a difference if you can't remember which was @A1 and which was @A2 etc. ....
I think the point was the grey 5 appearing to the left of the arrow. It happens because the equipment display is done by putting in the object description, then overwriting it with the slot details, but with one gap where the description shows through. It can be easily fixed by making the string for the arrow "<-- " instead of "<--"
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 12:55   #8
Dragonboneman
Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 182
Dragonboneman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I think the point was the grey 5 appearing to the left of the arrow. It happens because the equipment display is done by putting in the object description, then overwriting it with the slot details, but with one gap where the description shows through. It can be easily fixed by making the string for the arrow "<-- " instead of "<--"
Yeah, it's the rogue "5" that bothers me, albeit not much since it has no effect on gameplay. I wouldn't have a clue how to change the string, but that's what maintainers are for, right?
Dragonboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 17:38   #9
zaimoni
Knight
 
zaimoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 590
zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonboneman View Post
Yeah, it's the rogue "5" that bothers me, albeit not much since it has no effect on gameplay. I wouldn't have a clue how to change the string, but that's what maintainers are for, right?
Well...it's a question of whether a space character is "something" or "nothing" (the 5 isn't being overwritten by a space).

I can see uses for not overwriting, but it's a design decision at the library level.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007, 22:17   #10
arcum42
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10
arcum42 is on a distinguished road
It's mainly because the equipment displaying code (display_equip in object1.c) writes each line of the equipment display as a combination of 5 lines, including an entirely separate line for '<--'.

Part of the reason is because historically, if you want to write something in a different color, you have to do it in a separate line.

Hopefully, now that you can have color tags in the text, that section will get rewritten to only write to the screen once...
arcum42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.