Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old October 3, 2017, 02:31   #1
fruviad
Scout

fruviad is on a distinguished road
Doc typo in lib/help/command.txt

This typo exists in the nightly from 2017-09-25 and in the online doc here: http://rephial.org/help/command

Look closely at the description for "Targeting Mode". You will see that the word "space" is mis-spelled as "pace".
Targeting Mode ('*')
This will allow you to aim your ranged attacks at a specific monster or grid, so that you can point directly towards that monster or grid (even if this is not a "compass" direction) when you are asked for a direction. You can set a target using this command, or you can set a new target at the "Direction?" prompt when appropriate. At the targeting prompt, you have many options. First of all, targetting mode starts targetting nearby monsters which can be reached by "projectable" spells and thrown objects. In this mode, you can press 't' (or '5' or '.') to select the current monster, pace to advance to the next monster, '-' to back up to the previous monster, direction keys to advance to a monster more or less in that direction, 'r' to "recall" the current monster, 'q' to exit targetting mode, and 'p' (or 'o') to stop targetting monsters and enter the mode for targetting a location on the floor or in a wall.

(Also, now that I'm looking at it more closely, I'm realizing that the word "targeting" is mis-spelled frequently as "targetting" in the description text.)
fruviad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2017, 10:02   #2
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
I don't remember the reason but there was a big find/replace "s" with "" at the beginning of some words, so there are probably some more of these typos left.
Old November 1, 2017, 02:33   #3
passer_by
Rookie

passer_by is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruviad View Post
(Also, now that I'm looking at it more closely, I'm realizing that the word "targeting" is mis-spelled frequently as "targetting" in the description text.)
Angband has mostly-always been spelt in British: that's why you find armour and cæstus rather than armor and cestus.

"Targetting" is the British spelling (although a somewhat illogical one). That being said, I see other American spellings in command.txt too ("centering"). We should probably pick one convention or the other.
passer_by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2017, 05:52   #4
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by passer_by View Post
Angband has mostly-always been spelt in British: that's why you find armour and cæstus rather than armor and cestus.

"Targetting" is the British spelling (although a somewhat illogical one). That being said, I see other American spellings in command.txt too ("centering"). We should probably pick one convention or the other.
It's actually now a deliberate policy not to pick either convention, so as to make it easy for all developers.
Old November 1, 2017, 06:07   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Well in that case, 'targeting' trumps 'targetting'. The latter is an ugly and unnecessary violation of the usual rule.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote