Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 12, 2018, 03:32   #41
Mocht
Swordsman

Mocht is on a distinguished road
  • With the mauler skill "close in", selecting the skill then cancelling cancels the action, but the cost in HP is still deducted
  • With curses such as "-10% to spell capacity", these aren't a curse if the character has no SP, could this be taken into account for such characters
  • 2 typos: "You were born as demigod", "Great hammer dropped by an unicorn"
  • 2 suggestions for scrolls of mundanity: Have it trigger a prompt "Mundanify object x? y/n", if an object is mundanified then as a bonus have the resulting object be fully identified
  • With skills such as golem race's stone skin, could there be player visible info which says which stat it is based on
  • My beginning golem mauler had 20% failure on scrolls of detect trap and 10% failure on staffs of detect trap, that seems strange to me
  • I think in previous versions the same random artifact name could appear twice in the same game, if it can still happen could that be changed
  • If quest rewards can still be lost if the character has a full pack, perhaps quest rewards could not be given out if the character has a full pack
  • Glaive of pain description "fell spells of annihilation", is this inaccurate as it doesn't have any slays,brands or bonuses of any kind other than the good damage dice and dam bonus
  • Armour and weapons that cannot be enchanted: could there be player visible info which says this
  • Could it be made clearer what the intended use of reforging is, it no longer is viable for mid game maulers to create weapons with, I have indeed read the reforging guide
  • With instances such as Race: Balrog, Subrace: None, should that be changed to Race: Demon, Subrace: Balrog, or Race: Balrog and have no subrace listed
  • I had automapping enabled, activated the Arkenstone and later on that level magic mapping scrolls were autoused (there was no amnesia), I don't know if the scrolls were used before the Arkenstone, and I don't know if it also applies to rods of enlightenment
  • Perhaps life rating (if known) could be on character sheet
  • When a ring of combat (0,20) is worn it doesn't change the display of a weapon from 1d6 (0,0) to 1d6 (0,20) but something like that does happen with weaponmastery items and Mauler bonuses, would it be better if such weapon bonuses didn't change the display of the weapon
  • Perhaps there could be unique quivers
  • A wand of beam of light says dam 6d8, but this only applies to light vulnerable monsters which makes the damage info inconsistent with other devices
  • In the display there is a gap between wanted objects and other objects: I would find it easier to read if there was a similar gap between interesting features and wanted/other objects
  • If you have detected an object and you have a straight line path to it, autopickup sometimes says "No route found", but if the area has been mapped then there is no problem with autopickup
  • Weapons in your inventory, could they display weapon damage if equipped
  • With map screen options such as "Centre map while walking (slow)": could they be made defaults
  • Is it a good idea for it to be labelled version 7.0, in an early post Chris said that he had to change something so that the version numbering didn't stuff up ladder dumps or something like that
  • When examining items on the ground, could they give the items weight
  • Could the display of critical damage in the character sheet be made clearer
  • Could items in inventory be uncursed, rather than needing to equip them

Last edited by Mocht; June 12, 2018 at 04:23.
Mocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018, 15:12   #42
Mocht
Swordsman

Is it intended that slays on gloves don't apply to monk's unarmed combat
Old June 12, 2018, 16:35   #43
Sideways
Adept

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
  • With the mauler skill "close in", selecting the skill then cancelling cancels the action, but the cost in HP is still deducted
    [...]
Thanks, a few quick comments:

- Quest rewards cannot be lost *just* because the player has a full pack (the reward is dumped outside); however, if the player then does some routine-feeling thing like going back in to request a new quest without picking up the reward first, then the reward will be lost. While avoidable, this is obviously not player-friendly, and I'll try to think of some solution to it.

- Showing item weight on examination is a good idea.

- Adding the life rating in the character sheet is also something I'll probably do.

- I don't think most players auto-center the map while walking; certainly I don't. You can make it a default setting in your own copy either by using the same savefile repeatedly (thereby inheriting the old player's options as defaults) or by editing pref-opt.prf.

- Displaying weapon damage for non-equipped weapons is a good suggestion, but one that would be very tricky to implement. Vanilla does this, and it has been a constant headache to maintainers. Implementing it here might be even harder, since Vanilla doesn't have to worry about multiple weapon slots.

- Telling the player that unimprovable items are unimprovable seems reasonable (the same goes for items that can be enchanted but aren't affected by it, like robes of the twilight).

- It will always be possible for the same randart name to appear repeatedly, because the list of randart names is finite and will be exhausted eventually. What could be done is make sure no name will appear twice before the list is exhausted, but it's a lot simpler from a maintaining point of view to simply allow it to happen, and trust that it doesn't happen too often (or at least too obviously too often) as long as the list has enough names. I will probably add more names for randart rings in the next version.

- Artifact quivers have been suggested before, it's an interesting concept but I don't really have any great ideas for what an artifact quiver would actually do.

- I have no idea whether glove slays not applying to unarmed combat was originally intended or not. I would say that 1) it feels strange from a logic point of view but 2) before I change it, I'd like to hear from players with monk experience what it would do to monk balance, and whether it would make unarmed combat too strong (my instinct is that it probably would).

- I will look into Close In, it doesn't feel like something that should be uncancellable.
Old June 12, 2018, 18:00   #44
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Monks, live and die by their stuns. Their damage in the early game is rather pathetic. Slays and Ego effects would really help there. It isn't that hard to find a good Ego weapon in the early levels, I recently got a (craft) sword out of Town Trouble. So, when the Monk is trying to reach double digit damage a round, a weapon user is doing 30+.

Post 30's, Slays would speed things up, but when your foe is just standing there stunned as you plink away at their health, not really needed.

BUT! What would the justification be for the gloves to not work? Make all Spiked and Studded gloves 'Icky Wield'? That way Monks could still find gloves to match the already tough to fill resistance holes.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018, 18:05   #45
Mocht
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
... glove slays ... whether it would make unarmed combat too strong
If you are worried about glove slays and balance then Mauler is another character to consider
With robes of the kamikaze warrior, gloves with dragon slay and a crap weapon, my mauler's crushing blow was at times hitting for over 4000 against serious dragons
I had bad luck that game with weapons and often get a 60 pound one by level 50, I assume the damage with a 60 pound weapon would be substantially bigger
Old June 13, 2018, 06:24   #46
Mocht
Swordsman

I have little experience in playing characters with SP and there is an attack against such characters that catches me off guard, I think it is something like "It gazes into your eyes and you are blasted by psionic energy": it damages, confuses and drains all SP, is there any resistance against such attacks, for instance does chaos res give some resistance to it
Old June 13, 2018, 08:28   #47
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Found a figurine of a jumping fireball. I don't use figurines often & they're actually pretty harmless but I did think it was cute & would be happy with them appearing often enough to carry a few.
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018, 17:30   #48
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
I have little experience in playing characters with SP and there is an attack against such characters that catches me off guard, I think it is something like "It gazes into your eyes and you are blasted by psionic energy": it damages, confuses and drains all SP, is there any resistance against such attacks, for instance does chaos res give some resistance to it
Being blasted by psionic energy is a spell that dates from Vanilla, and is harmful to both magical and mundane characters. Assuming FrogCom doesn't change things, the only defense is your standard saving throw, so e.g. an amulet of antimagic would be helpful, as would improving your WIS score.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 02:02   #49
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Math Oddity

So, I was dual wielding a pair of daggers on a Ninja.
Wearing the Set of Gauntlets (+1,+1) from the Thieves quest I was doing 39 Main hand, 21 Offhand. I upgraded the Gauntlets to a Studded (+1,+3) set.
The damage changed from 39 > 39 Main, and 21 > 25 Offhand.

Really seems to be odd rounding or something.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 02:19   #50
Mocht
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsSlayer View Post
So, I was dual wielding a pair of daggers on a Ninja.
Wearing the Set of Gauntlets (+1,+1) from the Thieves quest I was doing 39 Main hand, 21 Offhand. I upgraded the Gauntlets to a Studded (+1,+3) set.
The damage changed from 39 > 39 Main, and 21 > 25 Offhand.

Really seems to be odd rounding or something.
With weapons bonuses and dual wielding, half the bonus is applied to each weapon, so each weapon gets (0.5, 1.5) from the new gloves
And with the displayed weapon damage, I think it runs many simulations and takes an average, so the displayed damage can vary a bit

Tags
frogcomposband