Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old November 1, 2010, 23:35   #11
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Random Rant:
Having a new variant in the works, I decided to reset the version numbers down to 0.0.1. Imagine my surprise that this makes new savefiles unreadable! (Now remember, I am a totally clueless nascent 'band developer). Best I can tell, we were supporting savefiles from old versions of Zangband, and code was constantly checking the version in the save file (now 0.0.1) to see if it was older than when some new feature was added 10 years ago, and checking both hengband versions *and* zangband versions.

Well, I ripped out all the conditional loading code that attempted to nicely handle old savefiles. If you have one from before, say, 1.7.0 of Hengband, it won't load.

End Rant.

All things aside, I think Angband has done a wonderful job preserving savefile compatibility, probably at the cost of heroic coding efforts. Kudos! But if you are switching over to a new variant, I think it is a reasonable assumption that savefiles from other variants won't work Guys, finish your games in Hengband first!

Its interesting. At my last job we used to have tons of binary files laying around. But I became convinced that binary files are the root of all evil and converted them all to plain text formats. If you are off by 1 byte (like say, if you decide not to read a byte because of a version check) then you get weird errors in far removed regions of code. I kept getting errors like: "The Wilderness is too big" or "Unable to read inventory". Ever try to pop open a binary file and figure out the problem? Ugh ...

Do other variants still use binary save files?
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010, 23:57   #12
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Do other variants still use binary save files?
I think everyone does, and I think the original reason was to stop cheating by editing the savefile. I think anyone who chose to play this variant and then cheated would be somewhat perverse...
Old November 2, 2010, 00:37   #13
dzhang
Scout

dzhang is on a distinguished road
Hrm. Maybe I'm blind, because I don't see the option of setting it to be an "Enhancement." Maybe you need to add me to some list or something?

Here's another class idea for you, that's a bit wacky:

The Duelist

The duelist is the ultimate one-on-one fighter, but finds himself at a severe disadvantage when facing numerous strong foes.

Class features: +2 HD, Mindcrafter-like skills. Not proficient with any ranged weapon.
-50 AC. -15 Saving Throw.
Melee attacks limited to 1. +10+(X/2) bonus to damage.

Faces Monk-like weight penalties. If above weight limit, none of the duelist's special abilities function.

The Duelist's abilities are magical in nature. If the Duelist has an antimagic field about him, his abilities cease to function.

Class abilities:

Mark Target - lvl 1. Mark a target as your designated foe. Against that foe, you gain +100 AC, +30 Saving Throw, and all damage by your foe is reduced by 1/3. You can use this action to change who you mark as a foe, but you can only mark 1 foe at a time.

The duelist gains a certain number of passive abilities against his marked foe, depending on level. All effects apply.

1 - Perfect Strike. The duelist never misses against his marked foe. If the duelist is using a Poison Needle, his chance of causing a fatal blow is significantly improved (+50%?). The duelist may mark any foe that he has knowledge of (i.e. Line of Sight, or ESP)

5 - Stealthy approach. The duelist's Stealth is treated as 5 higher against his foe.

10 - Careful aim. The player's weapon is automatically treated as vorpal, even if it is blunt.

15 - Hamstring. The foe is slowed unless it makes a saving throw.

20 - Wounding Strike. Unless the foe makes a saving throw, his hit points are reduced by 20% (max 200), in addition to normal damage.

25 - Stunning Blow. Unless the foe makes a saving throw, he is stunned for 1 round.

30 - Unending Pursuit. Player always has option to follow foe if foe tries to teleport. Player has option to avoid being teleported away by foe.

35 - Endless Duel. Player has option to immediately mark a new foe upon killing his current foe (without spending another action).

40 - Greater Wounding Strike. Unless the foe makes a saving throw, his hit points are reduced by 40% (max 2000), in addition to normal damage.

45 - Nemesis. Player cannot be killed by his foe. If his foe does enough damage to kill the player, the damage is completed negated, but the monster is no longer considered "foe." Additionally, the player becomes Heavily Stunned.
dzhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2010, 04:27   #14
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I think everyone does, and I think the original reason was to stop cheating by editing the savefile. I think anyone who chose to play this variant and then cheated would be somewhat perverse...
Nothing like landing in new level with one square open, that is not a staircase, to end a cheating character's career.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2010, 14:09   #15
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhang View Post
Hrm. Maybe I'm blind, because I don't see the option of setting it to be an "Enhancement." Maybe you need to add me to some list or something?
I added you as a contributor, so perhaps you will see additional options now? At any rate, don't sweat it, I'll just fix them up when I start working on them!
Old November 14, 2010, 03:57   #16
ThunderToads
Scout

ThunderToads is on a distinguished road
One thing that would be good to see is a more rational alignment system. Right now I think it's a little unreal. I can get a Good alignment by only eating when hungry and digging some walls, even if I'm also murdering townspeople every time I pass through.

It would also be pretty cool if small player races could ride more monsters. Sprites riding Wolves for example.

Speaking of riding monsters, maybe make the rivers and lakes spawn less Hydras. It's pretty easy to scum for a good early mount there.
ThunderToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 19:56   #17
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderToads View Post
One thing that would be good to see is a more rational alignment system. Right now I think it's a little unreal. I can get a Good alignment by only eating when hungry and digging some walls, even if I'm also murdering townspeople every time I pass through.

It would also be pretty cool if small player races could ride more monsters. Sprites riding Wolves for example.

Speaking of riding monsters, maybe make the rivers and lakes spawn less Hydras. It's pretty easy to scum for a good early mount there.
I'm not really fond of the current alignment system, but the gameplay effects usually aren't that great (except with regard to extra spell failures). Hmmm ... I too can only control the Temperance virtue. I'll have a look.

I like your other ideas. At the moment, we are adding lots of new classes and changing the gameplay a bit, so things are a bit chaotic right now. I'll definitely keep these in mind, though.

--Chris
Chengband Home Page
Old November 24, 2010, 02:39   #18
KiTA
Rookie

KiTA is on a distinguished road
So if one was going to give Hengband a go, where would one start? With a LOT of Google searching, I found Hengband 1.7.2 but it dwarfs even TOME in the number of class/race/etc combinations. I figure I'll move to chengband pretty quickly, but wanted to give the original a go first to get my feet wet.
KiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2010, 08:42   #19
Arralen
Swordsman

Donated: 3 euro
Arralen is on a distinguished road
I remember having great fun in Heng 1.6.2 with a Vampire Ninja.

Somehow I was able to get by without any light - "you are mantled in shadow from ordinary eyes", which means most monsters cannot see me, what feels almost like cheating - but I can't figure out how I did it ?!

Even loaded up the old savegame, did a char dump, looked at the mutations list, at special abilities .. nothing. Does anyone remember how this works?

edit: must be a Ninja ability ...
I remember vaguely now that Ninja and Vampire had some nice synergy ..

edit2: Maybe it's not the best char/race combination to start with. Or maybe it is - when you have figured out all the peculiarities, you'll most likely have figured out the game

edit3: get yourself the Heng spoilers - the help files are notoriously vage and incomplete. Link is in the link section.

Last edited by Arralen; November 24, 2010 at 09:05.
Arralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2010, 03:37   #20
ThunderToads
Scout

ThunderToads is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTA View Post
So if one was going to give Hengband a go, where would one start? With a LOT of Google searching, I found Hengband 1.7.2 but it dwarfs even TOME in the number of class/race/etc combinations.
All the classes are fun and worth trying but some of them are obscure and/or difficult to use. The oddball wizard types are particularly tricky.

Any of the fighter types are good to play when you're getting a feel for the game. If you want to start with a spellcaster then a Mage using Chaos and Sorcery is a good combination. As far as race goes, just go with what seems cool and has suitable stats.

If you fancy being powergamey, the Spectre Berserker is pretty nails.

Quote:
must be a Ninja ability
Yup, Ninja don't need lights and in fact work best without them.
ThunderToads is offline   Reply With Quote