Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 28, 2018, 02:52   #11
Gordon
Scout

Gordon is on a distinguished road
I am rather curious has to how I can easily go 10 rounds of melee against a dragon without a breath attack if what you say is true. As to awakeness, I can also easily melee them to death without waking anything nearby, even in a crowded vault. One ball spell however, wakes everything within range, of course.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018, 04:32   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hmm, this is not what I have observed.
Humans are very good at seeing patterns that aren't there. I encourage you to collect statistics on what monsters do with their turns when you're in melee range vs. not in melee range. I would be very much surprised to find that their behavior differed substantially based on where you stand.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018, 06:31   #13
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Perhaps it is due to the fact that @ is 2'10" and weighs only 13lb .
Just a note: @ weighs 3 stone and 13 pounds, not just 13 pounds. Historically ranging from 5 to 40 pounds, the modern English imperial unit of mass "stone" equals 14 pounds. Thus, your hobbit @ likely weighs 55 pounds. Still pretty light for melee, but a damned sight better than 13 pounds!
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018, 13:07   #14
Werbaer
Adept

Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
They are, on the other hand, going to do a lot more damage with their breaths in melee range than they would, say, 10 tiles away, since breath attenuation was implemented some time back.
That was introduced in 4.1.0. The character in question plays 4.0.5. So full breathe damage at range.
Werbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018, 13:14   #15
Werbaer
Adept

Quote:
I gave up on wands a long time ago. I had a Wand of Drain Life that I tried on a monster that had 840 HP and it only took it down 1 star per hit which I assume is 84 HP. This in spite of the fact that it claimed to do 150 HP damage and my device skill would raise that by some large percentage. I do have a Wand of Annihilation in my home that claims to do 250 HP damage and my device skill will currently raise that by 71 percent for presumably 427.5 HP damage. I'll give it a try to see if that is correct or not.
At least in 4.0.4., there was a bug that denied you the bonus damage from magic device skill. I don't know whether it was fixed in 4.0.5; judging from your number, it looks like it wasn't. Your wand of drain life did 150 damage; but 2 stars are 168 HP, so the monster at full health lost only 1 star at the first attack.

Wands of Annihilation are still usefull even at 250 damage, if you're low on mana.
Old March 28, 2018, 13:24   #16
Werbaer
Adept

Quote:
I am rather curious has to how I can easily go 10 rounds of melee against a dragon without a breath attack if what you say is true.
A Great Wyrm of Chaos has a chance of 1 in 3 to use a spell or breath attack; with 5 spells and 2 breaths to chose from, that's a 2 in 21 chance of a breath attack each turn. Now you have speed +34 when hasted; the dragon has +10. So in your 10 rounds of melee, he gets 5 actions. Chance of no breath attack within your 10 turns is 60%, no matter where you are.
Old March 28, 2018, 16:53   #17
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Do not neglect archery. If you find a high end crossbow or Belthronding, you'll be doing more damage with (branded) arrows than any other offense. And you get all the benefits of the Ring of Accuracy with none of the downside.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018, 20:49   #18
Gordon
Scout

Gordon is on a distinguished road
Well, I guess I've been disabused of a fantasy that I thoroughly enjoyed, pooh!

That rather nasty bug has not been fixed in 4.0.5. I tested on an Istar with average 1800 HP and it took 8 charges from the Wand of Annihilation to bring it down. Seven times 250 plus 50 from the eighth charge. Any thoughts on a backport for the fix? 4.1 seems to be a whole different game.

Thanks for the info on @'s weight. I didn't know what an Angband stone was, so I just assumed that 13lb was the equivalent of 3 stone. It did seem rather ridiculously low.

Regarding archery, @ did recently find a Sling of Buckland (x4) (+18, +17) <+5, +2> that I've been thinking about giving a try. Trouble is, I've been passing up high grade sling ammo all game, so I'd need to start accumulating it from scratch. Also, up until now, I've needed the stats from the bow @ is currently wielding. That is no longer the case though.

One other thing. When I was looking for a monster to try the Wand of Annihilation on, I ran into Ariel, Queen of Air. Seeing as I knew that the wand wouldn't work on her, I cast Mana Storm instead. It failed five times in a row. With @'s current 14% chance of failure for this spell, the probability of that happening by chance is 1 in 18593. Has anyone checked the RNG used for spell failure for correlation?

Last edited by Gordon; March 28, 2018 at 21:04.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018, 21:44   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One other thing. When I was looking for a monster to try the Wand of Annihilation on, I ran into Ariel, Queen of Air. Seeing as I knew that the wand wouldn't work on her, I cast Mana Storm instead. It failed five times in a row. With @'s current 14% chance of failure for this spell, the probability of that happening by chance is 1 in 18593. Has anyone checked the RNG used for spell failure for correlation?
Yes, many times. It is on average quite random. Humans are bad at recognizing randomness.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018, 23:27   #20
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You don't need fancy ammo with that sling, which is essentially the best shooter in the game. Just buy some shots from the store and brand them. (You'll get Poison, Cold, and Fire brands on ~+5,+5 shot. You'll find better shot soon enough.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote