Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 18, 2018, 08:41   #1
ssjs
Rookie

ssjs is on a distinguished road
Question What's the best variant of Angband in your opinion?

I've played PosChengband and Entroband.They are all really good.
ssjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 09:05   #2
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
I really like FAangband.
It might be a bit dated UI-wise, but it has lots of nice litte flavor thingies that have been kicked out of Vanilla.
I also enjoy the various landscapes and different dungeons of the game.
Also, it's hard ... ^^
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 09:17   #3
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Mondkalb--
This is why I was so against major gameplay changes (except ones related to UI like runeID) while the engineering deficit was eliminated. With major gameplay changes as well as code clean up, backports to other variants would be essentially impossible rather than simply very difficult.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 15:03   #4
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
@Mondkalb--
This is why I was so against major gameplay changes (except ones related to UI like runeID) while the engineering deficit was eliminated. With major gameplay changes as well as code clean up, backports to other variants would be essentially impossible rather than simply very difficult.
Regarding FAangband I am confident that Nick will make something incredible with his announced project "Beleriand", once he is done with Angband.
Hurry up, Nick!
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 18:56   #5
Sphara
Apprentice

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Just to experience Crows of Durthang on dungeon level 2 is enough for me to cast a vote for OAngband. They don't call pack of crows a murder for no reason.

Seriously challenging *band that might lead people to attend anger management courses. If someone can ironman that thing to the end, he's probably not a human.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 20:08   #6
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
Just to experience Crows of Durthang on dungeon level 2 is enough for me to cast a vote for OAngband. They don't call pack of crows a murder for no reason.

Seriously challenging *band that might lead people to attend anger management courses. If someone can ironman that thing to the end, he's probably not a human.
There was a variant I played many years ago. Players were incredibly OP, hitting for 1000's before L10. Until you meet the baby mob that has 100% damage reflection.
I can't remember the name, but I remember a few rage-inducing moments.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018, 04:22   #7
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsSlayer View Post
There was a variant I played many years ago. Players were incredibly OP, hitting for 1000's before L10. Until you meet the baby mob that has 100% damage reflection.
I can't remember the name, but I remember a few rage-inducing moments.
The variant is Portralis, which used to be called New Angband. There were a lot of things that multiplied each other, so numbers got pretty ridiculously high. There are some interesting features, such as a pretty cool giant city, an elemental lord class that was a warrior-mage who could be built to take control of monsters based on their resistance to his element. Cursed weapons that were very powerful (more so than most equivalent artifacts) but caused crazy powerful mobs to spawn alongside the regulars (regenerate 100% of HP each turn, duplicate, etc).
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018, 12:35   #8
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
The variant is Portralis, which used to be called New Angband. There were a lot of things that multiplied each other, so numbers got pretty ridiculously high. There are some interesting features, such as a pretty cool giant city, an elemental lord class that was a warrior-mage who could be built to take control of monsters based on their resistance to his element. Cursed weapons that were very powerful (more so than most equivalent artifacts) but caused crazy powerful mobs to spawn alongside the regulars (regenerate 100% of HP each turn, duplicate, etc).
That's the Beast! Thank you! Recognized the name right away once I read it.
Definitely not your usual Roguelike.
Old June 20, 2018, 17:48   #9
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
There were a lot of things that multiplied each other, so numbers got pretty ridiculously high.
Ah, the Diablo II school of roguelike design .

As to the thread: It's hard to argue that it's the best, but ToME2/Theme holds a special place in my heart as it was the first roguelike that I got seriously into... and still try to maintain as time allows. It's also reasonably faithful to the LoTR lore, so there's that too.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018, 21:12   #10
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

One of my old 'Most anticipated' and 'Most Hoped For' was Steamband.
Huge rework of Vanilla, then the Creator had to drop for as I recall real-life reasons. AFAIK the project has been dead since like 2005.