AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old May 26, 2018, 15:39   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
What do you do about illusionists? I never find FA or detect evil before they show.
Kill them? They rarely cast and have very few HP; even if they do manage to land a paralyze they don't have much in the way of offense so they're unlikely to kill you before you recover.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018, 15:50   #12
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Why on earth were you doing all this "weak" ? The eventual fainting almost did you in, and lowered str isnt ideal either for the fight.
Because the weak status always lasts shorter than I expect. I play stupidly a lot in Angband. I like to push the envelope. I actually checked my dpr to see if it went down while I was weak and since it didn't I didn't bother eating.

@Wobbly: I actually don't pay much attention to them. I think I've maybe died once as a result of an illusionist, but usually they are pretty harmless; and while they make me nervous sometimes, they rarely put me in serious trouble. If I can easily kill them I will, but if I can't I just ignore them and go the other way. If they mess with me, usually it's not very effective. It's quite rare that they paralyze me when there are dangerous mobs about. Usually they are accompanied by other weak humans. And they tend to blind more than anything; and I've gotten quite used to fighting blind if I don't suspect anything dangerous is nearby. Ironamn suits me because it requires you to take some calculated risks in order to save resources: ie. fighting blind when you don't think there is any real immediate danger of dying.

AAR continued

DL6: Find short bow (+6, +5)

DL7: Bullroarer drops a Cutlass {Splendid} <+2> Str but does less dam than my dagger.

DL9: Upgrade my weapon to a +3, +3 Main Gauche good for 30.9 dpr.

DL11: kill a bunch of panthers that come at me, but they take me down to 46hp.

DL13: A lantern of everburning.

DL14: (+7, +12) {ego} morning star for 26.9 dpr which I don't use ?Deep Descent

DL20: I have 33 charges of CLW in 4 staves. In a bit of trouble with a bunch of elves, something invisible is hitting and poisoning me. I fire my {ego} arrow at an h but it hits something next to me: the invisible demon (learned rune of slay demon). 44/241hp. The poison lasts a long time and I pick up another staff of CLW so I use that to keep me from dying rather than one of my 4 !CCW.

A tarantula gets on me and just as I’m killing him white wolves swarm me, quickly stripping me to below 100 health. I slash away at the wolves, trying to focus on the wounded ones, but they bring my health to 6hp and I’m forced to use a !CSW (3 left) (I only have 2 !CLW). I finally finish off the wolves without having to ?phase (12 left). I continue exploring and pick up a lucern hammer of extra attacks <+1> (2d5) (+6, +8) good for 41 dpr.

DL21: 7-3 I take a rod of treasure detection from a brigand and find the stairs.

DL22: I get hit by something sharp, but my “cursed” armor keeps my skin. Nevertheless, the Earth hounds are breathing a lot and I’m quickly below 100hp again and falling. I use a !CSW which helps matters considerably, but then I misclick and step into the hounds. I’m in good position, though, and when I get a chance I use my staves of CLW to keep from dying, but it is a very close battle. I recover some after the skirmish when Agamantite of Umber shows up. I fight and retreat and it goes pretty well thanks to my 75AC. I find an Accuracy ring +15 which I swap with my ring of Protection [+9].

I run into his brother at full health but he is doing much more damage; maybe because I just lost 9AC? He confuses me a lot and the fighting is not going well at all so I decide to try to make my way back to the ring of protection, which does go well, but I put it on my rFire/Cold ring instead to keep the accuracy.

I get cornered in a dead end room and try an unused wand on him. Clone monster, which means haste monster. I riskily allow Sanyhando to take me to 7hp before phasing poorly and have trouble getting away from him. I finally get a good ?phase and then realize I have an untried staff which slows him down. I use a bunch of its charges, heal up on the run; use another charge of slow monster and finish him without much trouble, though most of my arrows missed and my 38 charges of CLW is now at 2. In ironman play, you’re supposed to only take easy fights to save resources; but challenging/risky fights are more fun, plus staves of CLWs are only useful against not very dangerous monsters like the confuser brothers. Confuser #2 dropped me a heavy xbow (+2, +5) which I don as I have some bolts.

If you want to see some more really careless play here is my fight with the second confuser brother: https://youtu.be/cBzVrRmZrME
Old May 26, 2018, 16:10   #13
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Kill them? They rarely cast and have very few HP; even if they do manage to land a paralyze they don't have much in the way of offense so they're unlikely to kill you before you recover.
Tell that to the 2 from 3 ironman troll warriors that went to it. Paralyze lasts long enough for them to land another & they often hang out with priests who summon. Made the mistake of stepping into an unlit room. Bang was dead from full hps without getting a turn. At least a dwarfs save is normally good enough not to get chained. Half-trolls however.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018, 17:56   #14
Moving Pictures
Adept

Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
when Agamantite of Umber shows up. ... He confuses me a lot and the fighting is not going well at all .... Confuser #2 dropped me a heavy xbow (+2, +5) which I don as I have some bolts.
No rods of curing? Lordy, I know now the value of pConf...
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018, 00:15   #15
Grotug
Knight

Just found 2 staves of curing. Here is a video (without sound unfortunately) of recent adventure with air hounds and lugdush (not really very interesting admittedly, but somewhat close call). https://youtu.be/CPI02YT_ZY0

And I almost die again (with sound; seems I figured it out for the time being): https://youtu.be/4eEQn8OYAZ4
Old May 27, 2018, 04:36   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
If it's really just two, that's pretty good odds. There are a lot more deadly killers out there. That said, KILL IT WITH FIRE, which is to say, magic devices or archery. Certainly don't mess around waiting for it to reach melee range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Tell that to the 2 from 3 ironman troll warriors that went to it. Paralyze lasts long enough for them to land another & they often hang out with priests who summon. Made the mistake of stepping into an unlit room. Bang was dead from full hps without getting a turn. At least a dwarfs save is normally good enough not to get chained. Half-trolls however.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018, 13:59   #17
Grotug
Knight

OBS continues to be tempermental. Basically it needs to be restarted all the time if it isn't going to crash and/or stop recording sound.

My latest stint was quite long, but it's punctuated by some harrowing and entertaining moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUJh0vTykS8. Feel free to scrub forward whenever the action drags as there is harrowing adventure throughout. I don't have a proper video editor, so it's somewhat of a pain to cut out the slower parts, plus leaving the video as is is more useful for those trying to get a more complete picture of seeing how others play. Maybe I'll break it up into 3 or 4 smaller videos. At least it has sound this time.
Old May 29, 2018, 13:17   #18
Grotug
Knight

Things get quite desperate as the end nears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZUbWWZT6PQ

And then…:

https://youtu.be/Cc6nq81a9lg

NEW GAME

I Buy…

2 !CLW, 1 !Heroism, An average Main Gauche, 29 scrolls of phase door.

DL1: I find a dagger (+3, +4) (yes!) I find a dagger of Intelligence (+9, +2) and *slay animal* {??} that does 2 more dam to animals than the first dagger does to everyone. I exit the level with a flask of oil, 4 !CLW, 31 ?Phase Doors, 4 !Heroism, and an extra torch and 11AC. Not a bad start.

DL2: I leave DL2 with 34 ?Phase Doors and 19 !CLW, CL6 and 99hp.

DL3: trap door.

DL4 takes my CLW to 24; I find a short bow but no ammo. 12AC.

DL7 starve to death.

NEW GAME

No weapons in the stores. Killing Farmer Maggot drops me [2, +5] sandals. I buy 2 !CLW, 10 rations of food 34 ?Phase Doors, 1 torch, another ration of food and 2 hard biscuits.

DL1 Find a dagger (+5, +4) on DL1 (Yes!) after nearly dying punching out a white jelly.

DL2: Food rations increase to 21 and I ?Deep Descend.

DL7: stairs

DL8: rod of treasure detection (yes!) Something touches me and lowers my wisdom. I swing about and kill it, dropping me [12, +5] armor. I pick up 4 potions and Inscribe them !CSW? (which is confirmed correct when I quaff while hurt and blinded).

DL9: A glutton ghost eats one of my hard biscuits. I detect for it, step towards it, hit where I hope it still is, kill it and it drops me another _Detect Invisible. Agent of Saruman keeps running away with my gold but finding wands of stun and confuse allow me to kill him.

DL12: LF: 3-6 I very nearly die while being careless around orc shamans and ogres. I read deep descent and have lots of super close calls and then finally die.

NEW GAME

Buy a ?Teleportation for 120p, an average main gauche, two !CLW, 23 ?Phase Doors, and descend…

DL4 LF 2-7 and what do we find ladies and gentlemen? A dagger. Not just any old dagger. The Dagger of Umand (1d4) (+12, +21) <+1, +4> {??} (4 to DEX, 1 to WIS). A HT/Warrior simply cannot ask for a better starting weapon. 103.6 dam per round. Activates to cure maladies.

DL5: find a cloak of stealth <+2> [1, +14]

DL9 Bulloarer drops a low AC cap of Seeing.

DL15 Find a rod of curing (43% chance of success) compare that to my dagger’s activation which is 88.8% I learn that my dagger protects me from fear!

DL18: Kobold drops [18] ring of protection. Find a ring of dam on ground (+9). I learn that the dagger has every slay under the son except animals and slays the Unholy Trinity Powerfully.

DL21: Gorfimbul drops [40, +2] Armor. I steamroll over Bolg, son of Azog who drops me a sling of Accuracy. I find boots [4, +3] {??} I find a wand of TO. As I like to say, when it rains, it pours: weapons: check, SI: check, FrAct, Check?, TO: check. I'm good till DL40.

DL22: I immediately meet an Illusionist and wait for it to id my boots for me but it futilely tries to surround me in darkness repeatedly before teleporting away. A short time later a Paladin tries to make me move slowly, but the boots deny his spell. I read a scroll of Teleport Level.

DL23: I find another wand of TO (I now have 18 charges).

DL25: I find a light crossbow of extra might <X4> (+10, +16) in a small vault and 13 bolts (+6, +6) (already have 38 normal bolts that I've been lugging around).

DL26: find a _Teleporation

DL27: upon entering the level I meet a basilisk who I easily dispose of. Not sure if he dropped it or if he was guarding it, but I drink a potion of Augmentation. I guess I'll know if he dropped it when the level feeling shows. CL25, 375hp. More later.
Old May 29, 2018, 13:58   #19
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
That is quite a start. So you will die horribly at dl 60.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018, 08:25   #20
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Too bad the dagger of *slay* everything is 1d4