Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old December 23, 2015, 22:33   #31
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman View Post
I'd guess that it at least involves the axlotl tanks
Yes. And that's all I'm going to say about it. We'll all be much happier if I don't go on an angry rant.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015, 01:29   #32
Bowman
Apprentice

Bowman is on a distinguished road
"Akallabeth" was surprisingly somber. Ar-Pharazon seems so bombastic and zealous in Angband, but the original character was just a weak man who succumbed to his fear of his own mortality. Sauron's role was great, though. He definitely stole the show.

Ah well, just one age left to read, now. I suppose this is the one where Isildur has his infamous moment of weakness.
Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015, 18:28   #33
Rowan
Adept

Rowan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
... few things there were that could've been surprising were foreshadowed too heavily (although I might be keying in too much on Gandalf's attitude towards Gollum in the early parts and Wormtongue being Obviously Evil from the moment he's introduced...
You haven't mentioned the films, but they're a lot less subtle with the cheap-tricks and foreshadowing than the books were, so if they're playing into your memory at all, that would definitely add to these feelings.

Quote:
For sure, the wide spread influence that LotR had on fictional media as a whole and the medieval high fantasy genre in particular has lead to a bit of a Seinfeld Is Unfunny situation.
I do think that's part of it, too. If you don't already love the books, it's harder to ignore how much they appear in everything since.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015, 19:17   #34
Bowman
Apprentice

I tried to avoid the films as much as I could. For all that seeing Magneto going all curly mustache on the Infector of Souls while Lord De Seis tries to hunt down Kevin from Sin City sounds rather awesome, there wouldn't be too much sense in wanting to see movies of books that I didn't like, they were too likely to be dumbed down to make them more Hollywood, and the very nature of the mediums just about always makes movies inferior to books. That having been said, I did watch "Return of the King" (I was at a gathering at someone else's house and didn't want to be a wet blanket when everyone else wanted to watch it), so there might be some subconscious influence from that.

Incidentally, it's kind of funny that Blizzard ended up making a whole different archetype for orcs, considering how much they ripped off from Tolkien and Games Workshop, but that's a story for another thread.
Old December 26, 2015, 21:08   #35
Rowan
Adept

Rowan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I tried to avoid the films as much as I could.
Fair enough! Compared to the books they were mildly offensive, but compared to most other fantasy films they were first-rate.

Quote:
For all that seeing Magneto going all curly mustache on the Infector of Souls while Lord De Seis tries to hunt down Kevin from Sin City sounds rather awesome,
I got a couple of these references, and I sort of wish I hadn't!

Quote:
Incidentally, it's kind of funny that Blizzard ended up making a whole different archetype for orcs
Weren't the Blizzard orcs just drawn from D&D? I don't know enough about Warcraft to know the difference there.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2015, 01:52   #36
Bowman
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Weren't the Blizzard orcs just drawn from D&D? I don't know enough about Warcraft to know the difference there.
This link talks about the differences. Short version, Warcraft orcs were originally like Warhammer/D&D orcs, but around the time of developing Warcraft 3, they got characterized as being sort of like medieval klingons. It wasn't only Blizzard that did it (Bethesda did pretty much the exact same thing in Morrowind, which happened to be released in the same year), but they're usually given credit for it due to the greater popularity of Warcraft.
Old January 12, 2016, 11:02   #37
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just wondering if playing Angband got anyone else to try reading Tolkien.
I read LoTR and Silmarillion before proper desktop computers were invented, so for me that wasn't an option.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016, 01:36   #38
Bowman
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I read LoTR and Silmarillion before proper desktop computers were invented, so for me that wasn't an option.
Maybe you just weren't creative enough. Vacuum tube punchcard Angband might've been the best Angband

Incidentally, I finished reading Silmarillion (took a while to do that since I do most of my recreational reading during my lunch break at work, and I'd taken a decent vacation from that for the winter holidays). The Third Age part seemed rather half-assed. Like, it wasn't bad by any means, but compared with the rest, it seemed like Tolkien was glossing over just about everything because he expected people to read LotR to fill in the rest of the content.

Saruman being an istar makes me wonder why he's a "p" instead of an "A" like Radagast, though. I can just tell that that's going to keep bothering me now
Old January 15, 2016, 06:35   #39
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Saruman being an istar makes me wonder why he's a "p" instead of an "A" like Radagast, though. I can just tell that that's going to keep bothering me now
IMO Radagast should not be there just like Gandalf and other "good" non-destructive critters. Huan is another "does not belong to angband" monster. I know that Huan is there to "balance" Carcharoth, but it's angband, the balance should be in side of chaos and mayhem anyway.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2016, 03:28   #40
Bowman
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
IMO Radagast should not be there just like Gandalf and other "good" non-destructive critters. Huan is another "does not belong to angband" monster. I know that Huan is there to "balance" Carcharoth, but it's angband, the balance should be in side of chaos and mayhem anyway.
Remove Radagast.
Change Saruman to an 'A', pretty much equivalent to Radagast. Maybe reflavor his description to refer to his time as Curufin instead to justify him not being evil.

Remove Huan.
Give trampling and all of Huan's breaths to Carcharoth; reflavor Carcharoth's description to say that he's on a rampage after consuming a Silmaril.

Add Kas the Destroyer as a high level 'p'; evil undead creature, tanky melee enemy (maybe similar to Atlas), attacks to lower experience, can cast haste self and brain smash (if possible, maybe also give him a spell to reduce @'s saving throw by 20% to mimic the -4 saving throw penalty against his charming in D&D), invisible/cold blooded/walks through walls, increased chance to spawn together with Vecna.

Not sure what could be done about Arien, Maia of the Sun. I can't think of any named ainur who joined Morgoth aside from Sauron, Gothmog, and (briefly, sort of) Osse. Maybe just remove Arien and add another unique elsewhere that fits the "immune to all slays and has fire/plasma attacks" mold?

Not entirely serious, but also not completely opposed to actually doing some of these, either