Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 18, 2018, 13:21   #91
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Almost certainly not a bug.

You can get curses in two ways; they can be an inherent part of the item, or they can be added to the item like when you're cursed by an enemy. The former kind of curse cannot be removed, while the latter type can (the ancient foul curse is not any exception in this respect). What's somewhat confusing is that a cursed item can be created with removable, slapped-on bonus curses, so unless you look closely you might think them native to the item when they're actually not.

It's really rare for an ancient foul curse to appear non-natively on an item that isn't either heavily or permanently cursed, which is the only part here that bothers me a bit; but I do think it's possible.

The abbreviation for an ancient foul curse is simply Ty (Topi Ylinen); and if that's not in the inscription, the curse isn't an inherent part of the item and should be removable.
Old May 18, 2018, 14:26   #92
Sideways
Swordsman

Cursed quest rewards will be gone in the next version, by the way (except where one is actually stipulated).
Old May 18, 2018, 14:53   #93
TauzentBlitz
Rookie

TauzentBlitz is on a distinguished road
Trying out a Calvary character. How important is it that I'm using a weapons with "riding" listed in the description?

Edit: Well, I couldn't get Rodeo to work at all with a weapon that didn't have it on, so I guess it's really important?

Last edited by TauzentBlitz; May 18, 2018 at 15:02.
TauzentBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 20:04   #94
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
Should shops be changed so that useless things are not offered for sale
For instance, if a character is above level 30 then there is no chance that they would consider buying potions of cure light wounds
Personally, I prefer *bands that permanently stock basic items. Oil, food, +0 ammunition.
It's tough to play an Archer when the RNG decides you get no arrows until L10 and you can make your own.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 20:23   #95
Sideways
Swordsman

It's very hard to predict what items a character will need. For example, scrolls of detect monsters are utterly useless for much of the game (in many cases, the entire game), but can become a sneaky option at the end if you don't have detection spells and don't want to rely on devices that get charge-drained.

Even if I did manage to predict everything, it would create weird shops (doesn't the shop have any other customers?) and either make the game easier (if fewer uninteresting items generating meant more useful items generating) or just result in shops with more empty room (if additional useful items were not generated). I don't see either of those as a desirable result.

Note that to some extent, shops already do change to meet the player's needs. You get better stuff later in the game; you also get lots of !CSW early on, but not so much later when you start having better options.

---

I don't subscribe to the view that shops should always have what the player wants. That's what the home is for! Reliably stocking ammo in the early game feels like a reasonable request from a gameplay point of view, though.
Old May 19, 2018, 05:17   #96
OmniNegro
Rookie

OmniNegro is on a distinguished road
Chaos Deities absolutely will wreck you eventually. They can also help out a lot. But the chance of a terrible mutation, the removal of a good mutation, or them basically nuking you and your equipment is almost certain over 50 levels.
OmniNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2018, 10:46   #97
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Shrug, I sometimes use !clw on a lvl 30 hound. They breathe from hps and have multiple ways of getting out of los quickly. ?detect monster which was also mentioned I use from time to time. A bunch of mages don't get a detect but do have mage hps. You can get somewhere dangerous quicker using it.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2018, 14:14   #98
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
I used destruction and Polyphemus, the guardian of Mine, disappeared
I rested on the level and Polyphemus respawned
Is that a bug
No, that's exactly what's supposed to happen; the same thing will happen with any other guardian or dungeon quest monster, including Oberon and the Serpent of Chaos.
Old May 20, 2018, 14:54   #99
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Aren't they immune to everything but hitting them?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018, 19:34   #100
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Monster info says spellwarp automatons only resist teleportation
But I think they are immune
Yeah, the whole teleportation immunity/resistance thing is implemented really stupidly; there's no actual "immune to teleportation" flag, there's just resist teleportation, but for some monsters (uniques, and monsters who're "immune to everything" like spellwarp automatons) that effectively becomes immunity. For uniques it's actually displayed as immunity, but for spellwarp automatons it's not. I'll fix that.

Tags
frogcomposband