Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 3, 2019, 21:00   #141
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbee View Post
Really appreciating all your hard work on monsters I decided to brush up the monster viewer. It seems to work fine with the latest release. Enjoy!

https://thraalbee.azurewebsites.net/monview/
Brilliant! I have been using a script to dump out details.

EDIT: Hm, looks like not all monsters are there - Saruman is missing for me; also Carcharoth
EDIT2: On the other hand, I am finding errors I've made too

Last edited by Nick; February 3, 2019 at 21:34. Reason: Further investigation
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2019, 05:24   #142
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Just ran across Beorn, while playing the most recent version. Was a bit weird with him changing back and forth between man and bear, but I guess the bear form doesn't last. I see he is listed twice in the unique list. After he was killed, it lists "Beorn, the Shape-Changer" as dead and "Beorn, the Mountain Bear" as alive.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2019, 06:05   #143
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
Just ran across Beorn, while playing the most recent version. Was a bit weird with him changing back and forth between man and bear, but I guess the bear form doesn't last. I see he is listed twice in the unique list. After he was killed, it lists "Beorn, the Shape-Changer" as dead and "Beorn, the Mountain Bear" as alive.
Yes, there are a few things that need to be adapted to deal with shapechanges.
Old February 4, 2019, 09:19   #144
Thraalbee
Swordsman

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Brilliant! I have been using a script to dump out details.

EDIT: Hm, looks like not all monsters are there - Saruman is missing for me; also Carcharoth
EDIT2: On the other hand, I am finding errors I've made too
Should be ok now. Same link as before. Plot rewritten for speed and has grouping. https://thraalbee.azurewebsites.net/monview/

I found out that I had missed "light:" as an entry in monster.txt so it never made it to the regexp. All monsters missing had the light: attribute
NOTE: ** there is no hint in the comments section about this new field

Also, the "red dragon bat" has it's "light:" entry in a slightly different order than all others. That means it will not display in this tool. I changed it in my file to match the others and then it displays.

If you open the console window in Chrome (only browser I test with) you'll see a list of entries that won't display due to incorrect depth value which usually happens when the regexp fails to match.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2019, 12:16   #145
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbee View Post
Should be ok now. Same link as before. Plot rewritten for speed and has grouping. https://thraalbee.azurewebsites.net/monview/

I found out that I had missed "light:" as an entry in monster.txt so it never made it to the regexp. All monsters missing had the light: attribute
NOTE: ** there is no hint in the comments section about this new field

Also, the "red dragon bat" has it's "light:" entry in a slightly different order than all others. That means it will not display in this tool. I changed it in my file to match the others and then it displays.

If you open the console window in Chrome (only browser I test with) you'll see a list of entries that won't display due to incorrect depth value which usually happens when the regexp fails to match.
Yes, all works fine for me in firefox - the problem before was I was using an ancient firefox on my development linux VM.

Light will be documented in the next update, and red dragon bats fixed.
Old February 5, 2019, 02:28   #146
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, that was the Weekend of the Undead.
[*]Wraiths:
  • White, grey, black and nether wraiths all buffed and moved deeper, so the wights are all shallower than wraiths
I'm finding white wraiths to be much tougher than their previous versions. Mostly because they are now speed +10.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2019, 04:18   #147
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
I'm finding white wraiths to be much tougher than their previous versions. Mostly because they are now speed +10.
Aha - they are meant to have been moved to DL38, but are still at 26. This is not the first time I have moved a monster to the approriate place in the file, but failed to change its depth line
Old February 5, 2019, 06:01   #148
tangar
Swordsman

tangar is on a distinguished road
Great update!

Quote:
[*]Major changes to Ringwraiths:
  • They all get a new melee attack which inflicts the Black Breath; this only lasts a short time, but has nasty stat and experience drain effects while it lasts
  • They are all able to summon Ringwraiths
  • They are all now deep monsters, below level 75
  • Their spellcasting and melee have been upgraded accordingly; they still have individual differences, though
I like such Black Breath mechanics. Also it's great that it's not overcomplexed as in TomeNET (there you should use special item (Athelas) to remove it.. and it's quite big problem to find that item).

But I'm not sure about moving Nazguls to >75 lvl. Endgame is already more than dangerous. Moving one of the most dangerous creatures down could break game balance (in terms of difficulty curve); old and experienced playes could even do not notice that, but new players have very different feeling of the game.. So nazguls was a 'gradually' threat, which was increase in time. Also Nazguls made mid-game more interesing to new players; and killing your first Nazgul it's always a big achievement: I remember how I was happy to do so first time, so proud

As I suppose that this particular change (moving to >75) made to follow Tolkien's lore (as Nazguls should be together etc). But imho it's not 'angbandish'
Quote:
It's righteous to enhance Angband with canonic Tolkien stuff, but at the same time - the most important thing is to preserve canonic Angband stuff itself.
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2019, 06:18   #149
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see Uvatha moved to an early avoid monster position, earlier then say, Smaug.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2019, 07:25   #150
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Aha - they are meant to have been moved to DL38, but are still at 26. This is not the first time I have moved a monster to the approriate place in the file, but failed to change its depth line
Hmm, if I try & change this in my own copy (pre-compiled but not yet run & in a fresh directory) I get a parser error, what's the deal here?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote