Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2019, 20:56   #162
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Energy hounds used to be lit right? They are now not. Deliberate?
Monsters lit or carrying light used to get a standard intensity of 2 (so they would light their own grid, and the grids immediately next to them). With the introduction of variable light intensities, I had the choice for each monster, and I basically went with
  • Really light intensive monsters (eg shimmering vortex) get an intensity of 3 (so radius 2)
  • Monsters that carry light (eg apprentice) or are fire-based (eg fire spirit) get an intensity of 2 (radius 1, like the old monster lights)
  • Monsters which are electricity based (eg energy hound) get an intensity of 1 (radius 0, but they are lit)
Old February 5, 2019, 20:57   #163
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
if Nazgul are meant to vary a lot in power, it would be good to give them different colors, otherwise it's easy to mix them up. (Which of them was the easy one again?)
They're not and there isn't one
Old February 6, 2019, 01:27   #164
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
You should be able to see just as well without the lantern, and carrying a light hurts your spell failure rates
My necromancer's fail rates are indeed better without a light, except for the bit where the game tells me I can not see if I try to cast without it. I can't read scrolls either.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2019, 01:31   #165
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
My necromancer's fail rates are indeed better without a light, except for the bit where the game tells me I can not see if I try to cast without it. I can't read scrolls either.
Hm, OK. This must be a bug from the light revamp. I'll look into it.
Old February 10, 2019, 11:56   #166
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

New builds of this branch for Windows and macOS are now upon the build page (source is here). Changes are:
  • Birds:
    • Ravens replaced by crows of Durthang (from O)
    • Nighthawks replaced by blood falcons (new monster, possibly OP)
  • Yeeks: brown yeeks replaced by terrified yeeks, which do nothing but run away screaming
  • Jellies: decided that five different types of moving, acid-attack jellies was too many, and removed ochre jellies, gelatinous cubes and black puddings (as the most generic)
  • Hydras:
    • Now range from 2-headed to 9-headed
    • Each one is like the previous one with an extra head and an extra blow (yes, that is what I mean)
    • Higher level ones also get breaths
  • Sauron: The aim here is for the Sauron fight to be less annoying and more dangerous. He gets shapechanges, his spells are more powerful, and he has fewer hitpoints. Possibly he should lose most of his teleport spells as well.
  • Morgoth - now gets the new SMASH_WALL flag (similar to FA, but nerfed slightly) where when he tunnels he removes not just the grid he's moving to, but also most of the wall grids adjacent; also a couple of changes to the hit to shatter attack
  • Fixed a bug where necromancers couldn't read (thanks wobbly)
  • Fixed a couple of fairly rare crash bugs with monster groups; there's still at least one unfixed, though.
  • Sundry tweaks to monster spells necessitated by some of the changed monsters

This is now close to the end of the pass through the list by monster base. There's a few more things to do, then I'll be looking at the list from other perspectives (appropriate distribution through the dungeon, where all the spells turn up, what monsters are difficult for particular classes, etc). But before that I plan to pull the branch into master, probably in about a week.

Opinions welcome as always.
Old February 10, 2019, 12:21   #167
tangar
Swordsman

tangar is on a distinguished road
I do not know why, but it feels pretty painful changes. It's like moving to new version of software or new interface, when previous one was perfect an you loved it... I hate to migrate on new UI. And this is much worse than this - as new UI got (at least sometimes) certain reasons to appear, and this changes isn't really necessary.

Quote:
Ravens replaced by crows of Durthang (from O)

Nighthawks replaced by blood falcons (new monster, possibly OP)
Why not just add new monsters: crows of Durthang and blood falcons? It would bring something new to the game, make it more interesting. Players likes to have new monsters. Why to remove mobs which people get used to..

Quote:
Yeeks: brown yeeks replaced by terrified yeeks, which do nothing but run away screaming
I like brown yeeks. Why just not to add terrified yeeks as new monster in addition to brown yeeks?

Quote:
Jellies: decided that five different types of moving, acid-attack jellies was too many, and removed ochre jellies, gelatinous cubes and black puddings (as the most generic)
I love ochre jellies, gelatinous cubes and black puddings. Especially gelatinous cubes who are classic of the classic

It doesn't feel as enhancement, but as 'cutting' parts of the living body, sorry.
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 18:52   #168
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Changes are:
  • Yeeks: brown yeeks replaced by terrified yeeks, which do nothing but run away screaming
  • Jellies: decided that five different types of moving, acid-attack jellies was too many, and removed ochre jellies, gelatinous cubes and black puddings (as the most generic)
I like the yeek change, looking forward to encountering terrified yeeks. Disappointed with the change to jellies, I will miss gelatinous cubes and surprisingly ochre jellies as they were easy to kill with frost. Other changes sound good, IMO.

Btw, save file wasn't compatible again. No big deal.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 20:35   #169
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
I do feel that ochre jellies weren't very generic, simply because they were, as far as I can tell, the first fast monster that you really really couldn't walk away from. The rest of the early ones either move erratically or don't do much damage.

Personally I think Acidic Cytoplasm is actually the most generic, or more precisely, the least interesting to encounter, since by the point you meet them, they have fewer abilities than the average mob. Ochre jellies are an interesting early challenge because they move fast and have an acid attack before most monsters even have one threatening aspect. They might well be the earliest monster that you don't want to fight but can't run away from with just phase door and a bit of healing, though I imagine Crows of Durthang will be that now. Gelatinous Cubes resist everything, are nasty in melee, and are extremely bulky, which also made them interesting. Black Puddings are pretty boring, since they're like Gelatinous Cubes but encountered too late to be interesting, and the only interesting thing about Black Ooze is that it is a breeder and drops items, which is kind of an exploit anyway (it's too squishy and slow to provide a credible threat, so no interest on that front). I think ochre jelly and gelatinous cube are the only ones I would have actually kept.

New birds and yeek sound fun, looking forward to my first new rules S and M fights.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 20:42   #170
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I agree with everything Philip said.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote