AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 26, 2014, 03:59   #31
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
DAY 3

RL
Came downstairs to find that the kobold has exploded all over the living room again. This gave me the impetus I needed to resolve the water issue.

Then I spent the whole day painting the upstairs bedrooms, which was dull, but I did get to listen to Terry Pratchett audiobooks on youtube without any interruption, which was nice.

Angband
Wifless Kidless II is shaping up nicely...

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16632

Just need ESP and then I can lose SInvis by upgrading the weapon. Then a couple of RoDams would make the damage quite decent for this depth.

Met another Ethereal Dragon. Ran away this time. Daddy remains unavenged.

All of the glassware in the house appears to be dirty. And staying that way. Tomorrow I shall have to Wash Up.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2014, 11:32   #32
Mark
Adept

Mark is on a distinguished road
Enjoying...

Really enjoyed this thread. The family theme is relevant to me; I became a father five days ago and my week has been the opposite of yours, all family and no angband. I wouldn't change that, but I do wonder when I'll next get chance to really play.

I was crying with laughter at your list of day 1 RL achievements. Possibly due to sleep deprivation. Anyway, keep your updates coming!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2014, 13:06   #33
SaThaRiel
Adept

SaThaRiel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Really enjoyed this thread. The family theme is relevant to me; I became a father five days ago and my week has been the opposite of yours, all family and no angband. I wouldn't change that, but I do wonder when I'll next get chance to really play.

I was crying with laughter at your list of day 1 RL achievements. Possibly due to sleep deprivation. Anyway, keep your updates coming!
Congratz There will be time again...sometimes...later Well, your wife will leave the house from time to time, there comes kindergarten and school - so no worries, you just need to decide if you want to sleep or play.

To the topic: I really enjoy that story too! It is great, it shows how great this community is. I really hope you have a winner there. After all it is not easy to fight against caving grounds with kobolds and on the other side dragons and Trolls.

Thank you for sharing this - and good luck with kobold...
Old August 27, 2014, 01:36   #34
MattB
Veteran

Haha! thanks guys - I'll keep it up until the family return and then I'll have to justify my time expenditure a bit more!

@Mark, don't worry - the sleep deprivation days flash by in a blur (until then, having a sleeping baby in one arm at 4am on the sofa gives you a perfect excuse to play Angband with the other. If challenged, try an apologetic look and "I would get up, but...")
Old August 27, 2014, 02:18   #35
MattB
Veteran

DAY 4

RL achievements

-Started the day with my now normal routine of mopping up the effects of the kobold's stomach bug. I am now apathetic towards this job.

-The re-introduction of water into the household has shown that my plumbing upstairs is leaking. So I unplumbed it again. Then I had a dilemma. It seems that every flat surface in the house is covered in either empty beer bottles or tools for which I've gone to the shed, scooped up in my arms, returned inside and discarded 95% as useless. So I put the sink in the bath. Then I needed a bath. Well, why not? It's a sink. It's supposed to get wet, right. Bit cramped in there though.

-The new washing machine is being delivered tomorrow, so I unplumbed the old one ready for collection. Getting better at the stopcock fandango now. And I have come to the conclusion that I am an excellent 'unplumber' - it's just my 'plumbing' skills that leave a bit to be desired.

-Water is now off again until tomorrow. Maybe should have thought that through a bit more.

-Found a clean wine glass in a cupboard so have managed to avoid Doing The Washing Up for another 24 hours. I have diminished the need for such by only cooking using the toasted sandwich maker. No plates or cutlery necessary. I've burnt my fingers a few times, mind. And the sandwich maker now adds many and varied flavours to anything placed within.

-Went to work for a few hours. Paid some people while thinking about Angband. Tried to be Diligent, not Haphazard.

-Cut myself on a putty knife. Can't get to the medicine cabinet at the moment so used newspaper to stem the bleeding. Daren't remove it now.

Angband
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16632

Going rather swimmingly - can't complain about the RNG on this run, either.
Smaug gave me not only a kickass melee weapon (there's something rather pleasing about a Half-Troll Rogue running around with a mattock), but also a choice of two great bows.

Then a bad thing happened. I offed Saruman and he dropped half a dozen pieces of armour and an unID'd ring. I took one step towards all of the lovely loot and fell straight through a trapdoor (it was an unexplored 'excellent' level too). I guess he can cast 'create traps', never noticed him doing that before. But, you know what, the fury I felt has prompted me to dive down to the 90's as fast as I can to make up for it and that's probably a good thing.

Turncount is looking not bad, by my slow standards.

Although I could really do with getting my WIS up so I can afford to lose rNexus and swap in my boots of speed. (See, Fizzix, nexus statswap mechanic is awesome!). Then I may even consider swapping in a RoDamage for one of my rings of speed...

Onwards and downwards!

(Currently mixing it with Radagast, whom I always find surprisingly hard to kill. I reckon he's about one round's worth of damage away from death, but in LoS I've also got two dracoliches, 2 11-headed hydras and a greater basilisk. Despite the whisky, I think common sense is going to prevail...)
Old August 27, 2014, 03:20   #36
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Another advantage of half troll is that they can wield anything without shame. A high elf might hesitate to brandish a pick and insist on an elegant blade; half troll couldnt care less.

Wisdom for fear of stat swap, are you serious ? That extra 2% saving throw does less to stop scrambling than more speed would in avoiding getting nexus´d in the first place. With trolls, and especially troll rogues, I let go of all hope to ever make a saving throw; life is better thereafter.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2014, 03:25   #37
MattB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Wisdom for fear of stat swap, are you serious ? That extra 2% saving throw does less to stop scrambling than more speed would in avoiding getting nexus´d in the first place. With trolls, and especially troll rogues, I let go of all hope to ever make a saving throw; life is better thereafter.
Perhaps I should have been clearer.
With my WIS up to 18/100 I couldn't give a monkey's about nexus attacks because statswap will have no effect!
At the moment, all of my stats are up or near to 18/100 but WIS is down at 15 or so. I don't want CON of 15.
Old August 27, 2014, 03:26   #38
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Another advantage of half troll is that they can wield anything without shame. A high elf might hesitate to brandish a pick and insist on an elegant blade; half troll couldnt care less.

I'd go for the Half-Trolls anyday for these reasons:

+better hit dice (more HP!)
+higher STR
+better melee
+because they are simply brutal...it's in their blood.
Old August 27, 2014, 04:19   #39
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Perhaps I should have been clearer.
With my WIS up to 18/100 I couldn't give a monkey's about nexus attacks because statswap will have no effect!
At the moment, all of my stats are up or near to 18/100 but WIS is down at 15 or so. I don't want CON of 15.
Ah of course, now it makes sense.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2014, 11:23   #40
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
The trip reports read more like Matt is playing Dwarf Fortress, as one of the Dwarves.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote