Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 18, 2008, 08:07   #21
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
I'll take a look at making a os x version of this in the next couple weeks (if I can find the time). I found a mac screen saver for 306 at http://ridiculousfish.com/angband/ that will probably be a good place to start, I think.

It's always impressive to watch - thanks for the new version!
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2008, 17:40   #22
APWhite
Adept

APWhite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustk View Post
* borg6.c around line 10488, in borg_defend_aux_tele_away(). Add an explicit check for monsters standing on FEAT_WALL_SOLID.
Code:
        /* Never shoot through walls */
        if (!(ag->info & BORG_VIEW)) continue;
        if ((ag->feat & FEAT_WALL_SOLID)) continue;
* borg6.c, in borg_log_spellpath(). As you point out, they only affect logging, not behavior.

I'm still shocked at how well the borg does with a horrible character. It is still getting about 1-in-30 artifactless Half-Troll Mages to clvl 40 and dlvl 30, and has gotten several below 2000'. Very good playing logic.

Thanks for you help. The borg is very much a team effort. I have incorporated your proposed edits and expanded
Code:
        if ((ag->feat & FEAT_WALL_SOLID)) continue;
to this:
Code:
        if ((ag->feat >= FEAT_RUBBLE) &&
            (ag->feat <= FEAT_PERM_SOLID)) continue;
which might help him on all walls, including rubble, quartz, granite, and perms.
Thanks again for your input.
APWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2008, 06:00   #23
Skelwing
Rookie

Skelwing is on a distinguished road
I've noticed that when the borg encounters a stuck door as opposed to a locked one, he will persist in trying to 'o'pen it rather than 'B'ashing it, tunneling around it, or moving in another direction entirely.

Not too serious of a bug, but it seems like it should be simple to fix.
Skelwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2008, 18:04   #24
roustk
Adept

roustk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think that this error may be due to an apparent change in the mage spellbooks -- "Detect Invisible" is a one-turn effect, not a timed effect. This means that the borg_see_inv value is probably being set wrong in borg6.c around line 11722.

I've moved the borg_spell_fail() call below "snap shot" rather than below "long time". Testing whether that helps.
I haven't seen any more deaths like that, so it seems to have fixed the problem.

The borg now seems to be dying in perfectly reasonable ways, so I'm going to be digging into borg.txt (the main config file) to figure out how to:
1) Convince the borg to genocide hounds often. A level 30 mage with Kelek's should never die due to Gravity, Time, or other hounds.
2) Convince the borg that using *Heal* is better than CCW when below 200HP and facing a big breather.
3) Convince the borg to protect its HP a bit more (118 HP, 45 SP, fighting Kavlax -- quaffing !RMana cannot be the correct choice). Lots of other deaths of this ilk -- under 300HP, no !Heal, and the borg does something not immediately helpful.
4) Convince the borg to favor CON over INT for these Half-Troll Mages. I haven't seen one with over 625 HP, even though HT Mages can reach 900 HP. At the very least, the borg should favor =CON and =INT over 2 =INT.
5) Convince the borg that TeleLevel is a good escape. Of course, first I need to convince myself of that.

The borg is still getting about 3% of these artifactless Half-Troll Mages to clvl 40. Roughly 60 of the 2000 run in the last week or so have advanced that far.

The six that pased dlvl 50 (2500') died to a Gravity hound, an Ethereal dragon, a Great crystal drake, and three due to Time hounds.

The two that died at clvl 50 died to:
* an Ancient bronze dragon (trying to walk away with under 100 HP but 300 SP)
* a Great crystal drake (waiting for recall with 250 HP).

Three others died at clvl 49 but had reached clvl 50:
* a Time hound (TeleSelf away from a Master Lich into a pack of Time hounds)
* a Time hound (offscreen, after TeleSelf away from a pack of Time hounds into a pack of Cave Trolls)
* a Time hound (TeleSelf away from pack of Time hounds into room with an Ancient White and Ancient Black, TeleSelf back to the Time hounds)
roustk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2008, 21:52   #25
roustk
Adept

Quote:
1) Convince the borg to genocide hounds often. A level 30 mage with Kelek's should never die due to Gravity, Time, or other hounds.
*None* of these mages have ever cast Genocide or Earthquake, even for the experience. It appears that there must be something wrong with Kelek's.

Edit: this is based on the "Spells" section of the *.map files.
Old August 21, 2008, 01:44   #26
APWhite
Adept

Quote:
I haven't seen any more deaths like that, so it seems to have fixed the problem.

The borg now seems to be dying in perfectly reasonable ways, so I'm going to be digging into borg.txt (the main config file) to figure out how to:
2) Convince the borg that using *Heal* is better than CCW when below 200HP and facing a big breather.
3) Convince the borg to protect its HP a bit more (118 HP, 45 SP, fighting Kavlax -- quaffing !RMana cannot be the correct choice). Lots of other deaths of this ilk -- under 300HP, no !Heal, and the borg does something not immediately helpful.
4) Convince the borg to favor CON over INT for these Half-Troll Mages. I haven't seen one with over 625 HP, even though HT Mages can reach 900 HP. At the very least, the borg should favor =CON and =INT over 2 =INT.
5) Convince the borg that TeleLevel is a good escape. Of course, first I need to convince myself of that.

The borg is still getting about 3% of these artifactless Half-Troll Mages to clvl 40. Roughly 60 of the 2000 run in the last week or so have advanced that far.

The six that pased dlvl 50 (2500') died to a Gravity hound, an Ethereal dragon, a Great crystal drake, and three due to Time hounds.

The two that died at clvl 50 died to:
* an Ancient bronze dragon (trying to walk away with under 100 HP but 300 SP)
* a Great crystal drake (waiting for recall with 250 HP).

Three others died at clvl 49 but had reached clvl 50:
* a Time hound (TeleSelf away from a Master Lich into a pack of Time hounds)
* a Time hound (offscreen, after TeleSelf away from a pack of Time hounds into a pack of Cave Trolls)
* a Time hound (TeleSelf away from pack of Time hounds into room with an Ancient White and Ancient Black, TeleSelf back to the Time hounds)
I appreciate the comments, but this thread is probably not the best place for it. Sending emails is the best way. I can make some comments on the recommendations above.

The borg does genocide Hounds and other "nasties." It is a defence maneuver and also done at the beginning of each depth. It's actually pretty funny to watch a high level mage land on depth 75. The very first thing he'll do is illuminate the dungeon and Genocides all hounds on the level. The borg will also keep a count of certain "nasties" and genocide them if they get too numerous on a level. You can find this in borg6.c search for genocide_nasties, or even just nasties.

!*Heal* are treasured by the borg, he really tries to conserve them as much as possible. He is allowed to use them and the heuristic is a bit complex, but he will use them. He is just not very liberal with them. He would rather tport out of danger (and into some) than quaff the !*Heal*.

Favoring one stat over another is already programmed into the borg. You can edit the borg.txt under the borg_worships stuff. It is true that mages try to maximize their mana.

TportLevel is programmed into the borg. He uses it to flee danger. You can read it in borg_escape() in borg6.c He does know to carry them and even store them. If you have some other recommendations for it, let me know.

I am happy to review any .map files of odd deaths (like that mage who walked away with 100hp and 300mana).

If you guys ever want to know how to get the borg to do something special, just send an email to me. (I dont get to the forum very often.) I can point you to the exact section of code that needs to be altered. It can save you hours of hunting.

Thanks for the input and recommendations. The borg is far more successful now that he was 14 years ago when I took over.
Old August 21, 2008, 01:46   #27
APWhite
Adept

Quote:
*None* of these mages have ever cast Genocide or Earthquake, even for the experience. It appears that there must be something wrong with Kelek's.

Edit: this is based on the "Spells" section of the *.map files.
I will get on this right away. Genocide and Earthquake are common for the borg. He has used them successfully for years.
Old August 21, 2008, 06:03   #28
roustk
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhite View Post
I am happy to review any .map files of odd deaths (like that mage who walked away with 100hp and 300mana).
Check your email for that example.
Old August 26, 2008, 21:34   #29
Caesum
Rookie

Caesum is on a distinguished road
borg problems

A couple of things I've noticed about the latest borg:

1/ the borg seems to generate a lot of beeps like it's pressing wrong keys or something?
2/ sometimes the borg seems to get stuck on a level and wonders around occasionally digging holes aimlessly and eventually dies of starvation.
3/ a few seemingly good borgs have lost all WoR presumably and then tried ascending via stairs and ended up dying of starvation. I think this could be avoided by either carrying more WoR and if they get too few through losses then reading one.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2008, 01:20   #30
Caesum
Rookie

Caesum is on a distinguished road
one other thing

one other bug - i caught him trying to attack a door thinking it was a monster, think he was hallucinating or something but the monster disappeared when i tried to move him?
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote